Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Artifact Recovery and Reassembly
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 24
There are certain occasions that call for something symbolic to mark them. Such ceremonials are a consistent truth of history. When ancient Light dragons came to an important agreement, it was just such an occasion. Say two dragons and their partners agreed to exchange mates to hatch nests. A craftsman agreed to take an apprentice into his workshop. A mother dragon agreed to allow her son or daughter free choice of partner, and the child in turn agreed to stay in the lair. Or a clan accepted an ambassador from another flight. In that case, the parties in the decision would work together to create a sacred terrarium marking their formal agreement. Amaranth wasn't the most common choice, but it wasn't unusual. Sacridite was almost required, so that the plants and the stone could both continue to grow, and the marble effigy of the Lightweaver was the central element of the design. Today's scholars think that the designs had detail and precision that was lost to history; terrarium remnants are often found in company with magnifying spectacles which would have allowed the makers to work on a finer scale. Of course, it wasn't always so happy a decision. Maybe two halves of a clan agreed that it was time to take their philosophical differences and go their separate ways, or a bitter wrangle over the treasure of someone who'd gone to the Lightweaver's service finally came to an end. Then two terrariums would be made, one for each party in the agreement. That collaboration would mark the end of their association and they could go their separate ways. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/80570b337f36278561c3e75fb46e64c1/tumblr_o8b9yapXDu1ujjfkuo9_r1_400.png[/img] [i]Fig. A. An artist's impression of a complete agreement terrarium.[/i][/center] Judging by the ungrown sacridite fragments, these components probably came from one of the latter sort of terrarium, which means that it has a sad history ... and that it still has a mate somewhere, lost and not yet found.
There are certain occasions that call for something symbolic to mark them. Such ceremonials are a consistent truth of history.

When ancient Light dragons came to an important agreement, it was just such an occasion. Say two dragons and their partners agreed to exchange mates to hatch nests. A craftsman agreed to take an apprentice into his workshop. A mother dragon agreed to allow her son or daughter free choice of partner, and the child in turn agreed to stay in the lair. Or a clan accepted an ambassador from another flight.

In that case, the parties in the decision would work together to create a sacred terrarium marking their formal agreement. Amaranth wasn't the most common choice, but it wasn't unusual. Sacridite was almost required, so that the plants and the stone could both continue to grow, and the marble effigy of the Lightweaver was the central element of the design. Today's scholars think that the designs had detail and precision that was lost to history; terrarium remnants are often found in company with magnifying spectacles which would have allowed the makers to work on a finer scale.

Of course, it wasn't always so happy a decision. Maybe two halves of a clan agreed that it was time to take their philosophical differences and go their separate ways, or a bitter wrangle over the treasure of someone who'd gone to the Lightweaver's service finally came to an end. Then two terrariums would be made, one for each party in the agreement. That collaboration would mark the end of their association and they could go their separate ways.

tumblr_o8b9yapXDu1ujjfkuo9_r1_400.png
Fig. A. An artist's impression of a complete agreement terrarium.

Judging by the ungrown sacridite fragments, these components probably came from one of the latter sort of terrarium, which means that it has a sad history ... and that it still has a mate somewhere, lost and not yet found.
d68awk1.pnggnImhnO.pngHNETOrN.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24160581] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/241606/24160581_350.png[/img] [/url] "See, I told you we should have went with ana-" [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23044890] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/230449/23044890_350.png[/img] [/url] "No." [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21958937] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/219590/21958937_350.png[/img] [/url] "Be quiet. We have much more pressing matters at hand. Bringing glory to the Wonderlast Marching Band." The three dragons stare intently at the objects presented to them. Miranda holds the collar up to her neck, while Donalbain sniffs at the flowers. Cymbeline runs a claw over the rock formation, before his eyes settles on the bust. "Woah! I know what these things are!" Excitedly, Cymbeline points at the statue, "It's a Lightweaver Rock Candy Maker kit! They sell these everywhere if you visit the outskirts of the Hewn City. I went there once with Seyton, and he bought ten of them. You're supposed to boil the amaranth in some water, then fish out all the chunky bits and stir in as much sugar as possible. Then, you pour the mixture into the hole on top of the Lightweaver's head, and you close it." Donalbain smirks. "That's ridiculous. Where would you even put the string for rock candy?" "Let me finish," Cymbeline holds up the glasses, "You don't use string . The manufacturers packaged a Double Sided Glitter Stix with every kit," He wiggles the glasses around for emphasis. "You stick the Stix inside the Lightweaver's mouth, then you wait a week," Cymbeline picks up the yellow rock, "This is the result. Authentic Glittermom rock candy, amaranth flavored." Donailbain, who has eaten all of the amaranth, licks the rock tentatively, "Are you sure this is amaranth flavored? Tastes like lemon. Really dirty lemon." Miranda rubs her hands together and smiles, "Well, we have our interpretation. I'm submitting."

24160581_350.png

"See, I told you we should have went with ana-"

23044890_350.png

"No."

21958937_350.png

"Be quiet. We have much more pressing matters at hand. Bringing glory to the Wonderlast Marching Band."

The three dragons stare intently at the objects presented to them. Miranda holds the collar up to her neck, while Donalbain sniffs at the flowers. Cymbeline runs a claw over the rock formation, before his eyes settles on the bust.

"Woah! I know what these things are!" Excitedly, Cymbeline points at the statue, "It's a Lightweaver Rock Candy Maker kit! They sell these everywhere if you visit the outskirts of the Hewn City. I went there once with Seyton, and he bought ten of them. You're supposed to boil the amaranth in some water, then fish out all the chunky bits and stir in as much sugar as possible. Then, you pour the mixture into the hole on top of the Lightweaver's head, and you close it."

Donalbain smirks. "That's ridiculous. Where would you even put the string for rock candy?"

"Let me finish," Cymbeline holds up the glasses, "You don't use string . The manufacturers packaged a Double Sided Glitter Stix with every kit," He wiggles the glasses around for emphasis.

"You stick the Stix inside the Lightweaver's mouth, then you wait a week," Cymbeline picks up the yellow rock, "This is the result. Authentic Glittermom rock candy, amaranth flavored."

Donailbain, who has eaten all of the amaranth, licks the rock tentatively, "Are you sure this is amaranth flavored? Tastes like lemon. Really dirty lemon."

Miranda rubs her hands together and smiles, "Well, we have our interpretation. I'm submitting."

1WhYQHt.png
(([i]This was typed and submitted via mobile, so I blame any spelling or formatting mistakes on that. I'll give it a basic review edit after I'm home again this evening[/i])) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19932891] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/199329/19932891_350.png[/img] [/url] Entropius pauses to look over the arrangement of artifacts on the table. After a few moments, she claps excitedly and let's out a high pitched squeal of joy. "eeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE do you have any idea what you've got here no no of course not you wouldn't be asking if you knew what it was but oh my gosh how can you not know this is basically the awesomest thing ever aaaaaaaAAAAHHHH!" Her attention is briefly diverted by the distant sounds of multiple neighborhood hainu howling in response to her squeals, and the shouts of disgruntled dragons trying to quiet them down, but she soon looks back to the table. Apparently calmed by the brief distraction, if only by a minor degree, she begins to speak again at a slightly slower pace. "Aheh, sorry. It's just, this is a first generation release of one of my all time favorite toys when I was a hatchling - a Deity Dress Up Deluxe Edition set! Well actually it looks like this is parts from several of the sets all mixed together." Gesturing at the model of the Lightweaver, Tropi explains further, "See, they each come with a model of the deity, this one is Lightweaver, obviously, and then there's a bunch of jewelery and other accessories, like this necklace here, that hatchlings could use to dress it up." Tropi deftly clips the necklace around the marble bust as she's speaking. "Just like that!" "Now, the Lightweaver set should also have some golden silks as well, I mean it's just cheap cloth and they called it silk, but anyway, there should be some as part of the Lightweaver set but I don't see them here. No surprise, I mean mine got torn after like 2 days. And those glasses are definitely part of the Arcanist set- WAIT DO YOU HAVE THE ARCANIST STORY SCROLL???" At the blank look on the booth attendant's face, Tropi blushes slightly. "Ah, right, you would have handed it over with the rest if it was here. Ohhhh but it would be so neat to get one! See the rumor is that, in the first generation of these toys, the Arcanist set came with a scroll supposedly containing the first and only publicly released work of fiction penned by the Arcanist himself! But, as the scrolls were printed on cheap paper so long ago, there's actually no remaining copies known to exist. Oooooh that would have been just an amazing find!" Glancing back down at the table, Tropi picks up the cluster of sacridite. "This is what made the Deluxe Edition sets soooooo cool though! See, when the set was new, these crystals would have been very small, and probably cut into special shapes. Hearts, stars, moons, you know, that kinda thing. And they'd be treated so that you could attach them to the marble of the Lightweaver model however you like and then she'd glow and sparkle with whatever pattern you wanted!" "Every set had a different Deluxe feature, though!" Pointing at the Amaranth, she continued on, "That probably grew out of the seeds that came with the Gladekeeper set! It came with a bunch of different seeds and this special paste that you could use to make them sprout directly on the model just like Gladekeeper herself! Oh and there should also be a set of miniature gardening tools that came with it." "In fact, are you really sure this is all there was here? There's so many pieces missing still and it really would be super duper awesome to find an intact copy of the Arcanist story! I bet you've got more back there, I'll help you find em!" As she's speaking, Entropius climbs over the table and grabs the first storage box at hand, toppling the precariously balanced stack and spilling the contents of several other crates across the ground. Now blushing profusely, Entropius quickly makes her way across to the proper side of the table and begins to back away from the now quite loud and not at all repeatable language being shouted from somewhere amidst the stacks "Ah, oops? Maybe I'll let you find them on your own and you can contact me. . . Bye!"
((This was typed and submitted via mobile, so I blame any spelling or formatting mistakes on that. I'll give it a basic review edit after I'm home again this evening))

19932891_350.png

Entropius pauses to look over the arrangement of artifacts on the table. After a few moments, she claps excitedly and let's out a high pitched squeal of joy.

"eeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE do you have any idea what you've got here no no of course not you wouldn't be asking if you knew what it was but oh my gosh how can you not know this is basically the awesomest thing ever aaaaaaaAAAAHHHH!"

Her attention is briefly diverted by the distant sounds of multiple neighborhood hainu howling in response to her squeals, and the shouts of disgruntled dragons trying to quiet them down, but she soon looks back to the table. Apparently calmed by the brief distraction, if only by a minor degree, she begins to speak again at a slightly slower pace.

"Aheh, sorry. It's just, this is a first generation release of one of my all time favorite toys when I was a hatchling - a Deity Dress Up Deluxe Edition set! Well actually it looks like this is parts from several of the sets all mixed together."

Gesturing at the model of the Lightweaver, Tropi explains further, "See, they each come with a model of the deity, this one is Lightweaver, obviously, and then there's a bunch of jewelery and other accessories, like this necklace here, that hatchlings could use to dress it up." Tropi deftly clips the necklace around the marble bust as she's speaking. "Just like that!"

"Now, the Lightweaver set should also have some golden silks as well, I mean it's just cheap cloth and they called it silk, but anyway, there should be some as part of the Lightweaver set but I don't see them here. No surprise, I mean mine got torn after like 2 days. And those glasses are definitely part of the Arcanist set- WAIT DO YOU HAVE THE ARCANIST STORY SCROLL???"

At the blank look on the booth attendant's face, Tropi blushes slightly. "Ah, right, you would have handed it over with the rest if it was here. Ohhhh but it would be so neat to get one! See the rumor is that, in the first generation of these toys, the Arcanist set came with a scroll supposedly containing the first and only publicly released work of fiction penned by the Arcanist himself! But, as the scrolls were printed on cheap paper so long ago, there's actually no remaining copies known to exist. Oooooh that would have been just an amazing find!"

Glancing back down at the table, Tropi picks up the cluster of sacridite. "This is what made the Deluxe Edition sets soooooo cool though! See, when the set was new, these crystals would have been very small, and probably cut into special shapes. Hearts, stars, moons, you know, that kinda thing. And they'd be treated so that you could attach them to the marble of the Lightweaver model however you like and then she'd glow and sparkle with whatever pattern you wanted!"

"Every set had a different Deluxe feature, though!" Pointing at the Amaranth, she continued on, "That probably grew out of the seeds that came with the Gladekeeper set! It came with a bunch of different seeds and this special paste that you could use to make them sprout directly on the model just like Gladekeeper herself! Oh and there should also be a set of miniature gardening tools that came with it."

"In fact, are you really sure this is all there was here? There's so many pieces missing still and it really would be super duper awesome to find an intact copy of the Arcanist story! I bet you've got more back there, I'll help you find em!" As she's speaking, Entropius climbs over the table and grabs the first storage box at hand, toppling the precariously balanced stack and spilling the contents of several other crates across the ground.

Now blushing profusely, Entropius quickly makes her way across to the proper side of the table and begins to back away from the now quite loud and not at all repeatable language being shouted from somewhere amidst the stacks "Ah, oops? Maybe I'll let you find them on your own and you can contact me. . . Bye!"
tumblr_ordbjfTBNv1s5xpeio1_100.png
Head over and show off your pack at the Mirror Lovers Association!

dRWGCfQ.png
June 20 [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12967140][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/129672/12967140.png[/img][/url] "Me?" Arthus made a sound that was very like a 'meep' then glanced around to make sure no one had heard. Meeping wasn't a very battle magey thing to do. "Well, um, okay," he said. "I mean, I'm not a member of Light flight, um, which I only mention because they look like Lightweaver things..." He trailed off as he pulled out a sketchpad and started doodling. "Here, see, if I was Light - which I'm not, but Windsinger has um... what's the word...? Effigies? Nest liners?" He shook his head. "No, sorry, I don't mean disrespect. But here!" He glanced at Nimmi. "First, you have to put these shattered spectacles on or you won't be able to see it. Because time rifts. Uh, space-time fluctuations... um. Timey-wimey... stuff." [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/1162.png[/img] He slid the sketch across the stand to her. "So you put the bust on the pillar. I mean, in the other time, it would have been here already. Watching the nest. Yes, it's a nest, sorry, forgot that part. Isn't it obvious? [img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7657/27194199353_cb959ce071_o.png[/img] "Okay, so Lightweaver watches the nest, and this thing--" he tapped the piece on the statue's head. "It's not a collar - many think it is! But it's not. It's a crown, see?" He looked down. "Um, not my best effort, I know. But anyway, yes, crown, and then you see the amaranth around the base of the pillar so that hatchlings have something to nibble. -- I know some won't eat it... You know, they might prefer insects, or... or... fish, or something. But at least they won't starve!" Arthus's frills fluttered with indignity at the thought of a starving hatchling. "Okay and this last bit, it's not obvious, but it's actually an accumulation of teeth. Yes! Teeth! Baby teeth from previous nests -- from the dragons from previous nests, I mean. You understand. They bring them back here to um... well. Inspire? the hatchlings? Or um... maybe just to decompose." He clutched his hands together and backed away from the stand. "Yes. That's how it is. Was. Will be. Time. It's funny stuff." With a quick bob of his head, he darted away.
June 20

12967140.png

"Me?" Arthus made a sound that was very like a 'meep' then glanced around to make sure no one had heard. Meeping wasn't a very battle magey thing to do.

"Well, um, okay," he said. "I mean, I'm not a member of Light flight, um, which I only mention because they look like Lightweaver things..."

He trailed off as he pulled out a sketchpad and started doodling.

"Here, see, if I was Light - which I'm not, but Windsinger has um... what's the word...? Effigies? Nest liners?" He shook his head. "No, sorry, I don't mean disrespect. But here!"

He glanced at Nimmi. "First, you have to put these shattered spectacles on or you won't be able to see it. Because time rifts. Uh, space-time fluctuations... um. Timey-wimey... stuff." 1162.png

He slid the sketch across the stand to her. "So you put the bust on the pillar. I mean, in the other time, it would have been here already. Watching the nest. Yes, it's a nest, sorry, forgot that part. Isn't it obvious?

27194199353_cb959ce071_o.png

"Okay, so Lightweaver watches the nest, and this thing--" he tapped the piece on the statue's head. "It's not a collar - many think it is! But it's not. It's a crown, see?" He looked down. "Um, not my best effort, I know. But anyway, yes, crown, and then you see the amaranth around the base of the pillar so that hatchlings have something to nibble. -- I know some won't eat it... You know, they might prefer insects, or... or... fish, or something. But at least they won't starve!"

Arthus's frills fluttered with indignity at the thought of a starving hatchling.

"Okay and this last bit, it's not obvious, but it's actually an accumulation of teeth. Yes! Teeth! Baby teeth from previous nests -- from the dragons from previous nests, I mean. You understand. They bring them back here to um... well. Inspire? the hatchlings? Or um... maybe just to decompose."

He clutched his hands together and backed away from the stand. "Yes. That's how it is. Was. Will be. Time. It's funny stuff."

With a quick bob of his head, he darted away.
oRYE0vS.pngwj5ThaV.png 28609671391_baae3aef01_o.png
Skullrock, the clan's resident archaeologist and fossil expert, examines the artifacts on the table with a keen eye. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19985360] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/199854/19985360_350.png[/img] [/url] "They don't seem to be draconic remains at all--so all of these items were either dragon- or beastclan-made." Vinta, the clan artist, peeks at the artifacts over her snapper friend's shoulder, then chirps a happy hum. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19634719] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/196348/19634719_350.png[/img] [/url] "I think I might be able to puzzle this out--with your help, of course~" The two muddle over the pieces together, tilting their heads this way and that as the coatl added more and more detail to her sketch. Finally, she presented her image to the snappy Ridgie in the pirate coat. [img]http://i.imgur.com/4OH25ps.jpg[/img] "With all of these pieces together, it seems to be--a shrine!" Skullrock nodded, explaining eagerly, "Yes, ancient acolights would pray in front of it and offer insect and plant offerings. They were probably praying for help with difficult historical puzzles, possibly mathematics problems--in any case, they wanted the Lightweaver's help with knowledge! The bust itself was carved from the sacridite, while the glasses indicate an academic principle. The "collar" isn't a collar at all, but a ring used to hold sheaves of greenstripe amaranth beside the altar. The whole thing was probably placed in front of university buildings or libraries, where it would obviously be getting the most use." Vinta hummed, pleased with their conclusion, and nodded to Nimmi before turning away with her friend. EDIT: OH MY GOSH, so many people submitted an idea similar to mine. ; -; so much for an original idea... I shoulda looked before I started drawing. :c
Skullrock, the clan's resident archaeologist and fossil expert, examines the artifacts on the table with a keen eye.

19985360_350.png

"They don't seem to be draconic remains at all--so all of these items were either dragon- or beastclan-made."

Vinta, the clan artist, peeks at the artifacts over her snapper friend's shoulder, then chirps a happy hum.

19634719_350.png

"I think I might be able to puzzle this out--with your help, of course~"

The two muddle over the pieces together, tilting their heads this way and that as the coatl added more and more detail to her sketch. Finally, she presented her image to the snappy Ridgie in the pirate coat.

4OH25ps.jpg

"With all of these pieces together, it seems to be--a shrine!"
Skullrock nodded, explaining eagerly, "Yes, ancient acolights would pray in front of it and offer insect and plant offerings. They were probably praying for help with difficult historical puzzles, possibly mathematics problems--in any case, they wanted the Lightweaver's help with knowledge! The bust itself was carved from the sacridite, while the glasses indicate an academic principle. The "collar" isn't a collar at all, but a ring used to hold sheaves of greenstripe amaranth beside the altar. The whole thing was probably placed in front of university buildings or libraries, where it would obviously be getting the most use."

Vinta hummed, pleased with their conclusion, and nodded to Nimmi before turning away with her friend.

EDIT: OH MY GOSH, so many people submitted an idea similar to mine. ; -; so much for an original idea... I shoulda looked before I started drawing. :c
An old, oddball Earthie. Stop by for some Dragon Bios and Clan Lore!
jIRALXN.png
She/Her, 29, Pan/Queer, USA, FR+3
@Lundlaeva @Mycologist @acheronta @roseangel2 @UserOfShadows @MagpieScholar @Wonderlast @Wookiara @TesserWings @KraalofBhaga

All your entries for June 20 have been recorded!

KraalofBhaga, don't worry about having a "repeat" idea--it's natural with some of the items we have, and so far I don't think any entries have been particularly similar to each other. Your entry is fine!
@Lundlaeva @Mycologist @acheronta @roseangel2 @UserOfShadows @MagpieScholar @Wonderlast @Wookiara @TesserWings @KraalofBhaga

All your entries for June 20 have been recorded!

KraalofBhaga, don't worry about having a "repeat" idea--it's natural with some of the items we have, and so far I don't think any entries have been particularly similar to each other. Your entry is fine!
[quote][center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/light_2.png[/img] [img]http://66.media.tumblr.com/d1738336ed45f9488b29b994dd246d63/tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo2_400.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/food/860.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/3393.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/15585.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/1162.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/4327.png[/img][/center] [i]In more ancient times, temples to The Eleven were everywhere throughout Sornieth. No matter where you went, you couldn't step foot into a clan without finding a temple, even if it was just a small altar and a statue. In the Hewn City existed a grand temple, tended by draconic acolytes of the Lightweaver. This temple was massive, reaching for the sky with a height to rival the Beacon of the Radiant Eye. Dragons would come from all over Sornieth to visit this temple and make offerings to the Lightweaver. The temple itself was a work of art, crafted by the finest architects in Sornieth. It held archways and pillars and loomed over the city like a judgmental god. The grand temple had one tradition respective to only it. Young pearlcatchers, hoping to win their mother's favor, would carve their pearls. The most common carving was into a bust of the Lightweaver. Many would take a fiery red gem and set it into the eyes of the Lightweaver. They would come to this temple and set their carved pearls on a delicate brass stand, twisted to hold up the round shape of the pearls. Surrounding these stands was sacridite, which the pearlcatchers would then wish on, and leave the temple. If what they wished for had came true, they would return the day after the miracle with an offering. Most typically some type of plant, as that was Pearlcatcher's primary food source. Of course, this practice was a risky one. Break ins to the temple were often. When the Acolytes who tended and guarded the temple went to sleep, thieves and all sorts of unsavory figures would venture in to steal pearls, which were highly desired for dark arts. Memories are a [b]very[/b] precious thing, after all. Choosing to leave your pearl at the temple was a risk of your memories being lost to everyone, even you. To circumvent this, the Acolytes took to saying the pearls were made of marble, and that they were busts carved by the Acolytes to honor their goddess. One has to wonder what lifetimes are stored in them.[/i][/quote]
Quote:
light_2.png

tumblr_o1zrsv44JN1ufdm5xo2_400.png

860.png3393.png15585.png1162.png4327.png

In more ancient times, temples to The Eleven were everywhere throughout Sornieth. No matter where you went, you couldn't step foot into a clan without finding a temple, even if it was just a small altar and a statue. In the Hewn City existed a grand temple, tended by draconic acolytes of the Lightweaver.

This temple was massive, reaching for the sky with a height to rival the Beacon of the Radiant Eye. Dragons would come from all over Sornieth to visit this temple and make offerings to the Lightweaver. The temple itself was a work of art, crafted by the finest architects in Sornieth. It held archways and pillars and loomed over the city like a judgmental god.

The grand temple had one tradition respective to only it. Young pearlcatchers, hoping to win their mother's favor, would carve their pearls. The most common carving was into a bust of the Lightweaver. Many would take a fiery red gem and set it into the eyes of the Lightweaver. They would come to this temple and set their carved pearls on a delicate brass stand, twisted to hold up the round shape of the pearls. Surrounding these stands was sacridite, which the pearlcatchers would then wish on, and leave the temple. If what they wished for had came true, they would return the day after the miracle with an offering. Most typically some type of plant, as that was Pearlcatcher's primary food source.

Of course, this practice was a risky one. Break ins to the temple were often. When the Acolytes who tended and guarded the temple went to sleep, thieves and all sorts of unsavory figures would venture in to steal pearls, which were highly desired for dark arts. Memories are a very precious thing, after all. Choosing to leave your pearl at the temple was a risk of your memories being lost to everyone, even you. To circumvent this, the Acolytes took to saying the pearls were made of marble, and that they were busts carved by the Acolytes to honor their goddess.

One has to wonder what lifetimes are stored in them.
je67dzK.gif ...
Val + she/her + fr+3
talk to me about hozier

7zrgo5F.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=10047883] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/100479/10047883_350.png[/img] [/url] Raine was back again - since this was his specialty, he didn't want miss seeing what Light's archaeologists had uncovered. "Were these recovered in the same area as the artifacts from yesterday?" Raine asked. "These also appear to be religious artifacts. In fact, I believe the plant and trinkets are offerings to the Gods. The Sacridite and marble decorated the temple where the offerings took place. I'm not surprised that they were all found in the same area." He peered closer at the marble bust. "This is in particularly good shape - museum-worthy, definitely. You should display it during your festival. I'm sure it would attact a crowd."

10047883_350.png

Raine was back again - since this was his specialty, he didn't want miss seeing what Light's archaeologists had uncovered.

"Were these recovered in the same area as the artifacts from yesterday?" Raine asked. "These also appear to be religious artifacts. In fact, I believe the plant and trinkets are offerings to the Gods. The Sacridite and marble decorated the temple where the offerings took place. I'm not surprised that they were all found in the same area."

He peered closer at the marble bust.

"This is in particularly good shape - museum-worthy, definitely. You should display it during your festival. I'm sure it would attact a crowd."
OOF HubOOF RaffleArt MarketplaceIn-flight Raffle
[center][size=6]June 21[/size][/center] [quote]The port is abuzz with word of the curse. Dragons rush to and fro, regular trade activity now interspersed with dragons selling anything they can to lighten their loads and get away from here. Not far from the docks sits a stand dedicated to recent excavation efforts by one of the region’s numerous archaeology organizations. It has been hastily made, no doubt in the wake of this summer’s surprisingly high interest in artifacts. A number of chests, trunks, and boxes sit near the stand, some of them dubiously stacked. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22293117] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/222932/22293117_350.png[/img][/url][/center] When you glance towards the stand, Narji catches your eye and waits patiently for you to approach. That is, she makes a lot of meaningful glances your way, she bounces on her feet, and she stops herself from trying to start a conversation while you are too far away to hear. Very patient for her. She bounces over to you when you’re a little closer and pulls you the rest of the way towards the stand. “Are you new here? I believe I’ve seen you before. You don’t look like you’re leaving with the rest of them, are you? No? Come give me a hand, then. You ought to see the condition these things are in! Hardly a chip on them! You know, I have my own thoughts about what these might be, but I’ll listen to yours, too. If you have any. I can just share my own thoughts, of course. How does that sound?” [center][item=Granite Chunk][item=Dirt-Covered Tile][item=Chimera Fangs][item=Light Runestone][item=Living Sculpture][/center][/quote] Using any or all of the items above, come up with a written or drawn description of what their purpose may once have been! You can draw or write about an artifact, the history of the Hewn City, or even just your character fiddling about and guessing at everything. Almost anything goes so long as the prompt is addressed creatively. Entries are due by 00:40 June 22, allowing 10 minutes past rollover for late submissions. Today’s dragon provided courtesy of @Luminaries. [size=1] @MagpieScholar @SinMachine @CandyPrincess @theroiprocepios @Gheron @Luminaries @Haoang20082 @hat17 @Kizmetto @Valoria @raynefall @mycologist @chezameed @Draginraptor @Zenhugz @Wookiara @ixris @Fortuna @UserOfShadows @Naga @Valyrie @Tarble @iamlurking @PrincessNight @Tsukistar @Lundlaeva @Lundlaeva @harmonywish @Cngx @phooka @Reyka @Tria91 @UnknownConcept @acheronta @JinxMoonstone @WorldOfOurOwn @Katsuokai @Wonderlast @Shadowdawn199 @IronPen @EmeraldDelta @Basilius @winterbell @KraalofBhaga @LadyKnightKatsa @Scatterspark [/size]
June 21
Quote:
The port is abuzz with word of the curse. Dragons rush to and fro, regular trade activity now interspersed with dragons selling anything they can to lighten their loads and get away from here.

Not far from the docks sits a stand dedicated to recent excavation efforts by one of the region’s numerous archaeology organizations. It has been hastily made, no doubt in the wake of this summer’s surprisingly high interest in artifacts. A number of chests, trunks, and boxes sit near the stand, some of them dubiously stacked.

When you glance towards the stand, Narji catches your eye and waits patiently for you to approach. That is, she makes a lot of meaningful glances your way, she bounces on her feet, and she stops herself from trying to start a conversation while you are too far away to hear. Very patient for her.

She bounces over to you when you’re a little closer and pulls you the rest of the way towards the stand. “Are you new here? I believe I’ve seen you before. You don’t look like you’re leaving with the rest of them, are you? No? Come give me a hand, then. You ought to see the condition these things are in! Hardly a chip on them! You know, I have my own thoughts about what these might be, but I’ll listen to yours, too. If you have any. I can just share my own thoughts, of course. How does that sound?”

Granite Chunk Dirt-Covered Tile Chimera Fangs Light Runestone Living Sculpture

Using any or all of the items above, come up with a written or drawn description of what their purpose may once have been! You can draw or write about an artifact, the history of the Hewn City, or even just your character fiddling about and guessing at everything. Almost anything goes so long as the prompt is addressed creatively.

Entries are due by 00:40 June 22, allowing 10 minutes past rollover for late submissions.

Today’s dragon provided courtesy of @Luminaries.

@MagpieScholar @SinMachine @CandyPrincess @theroiprocepios @Gheron @Luminaries @Haoang20082 @hat17 @Kizmetto @Valoria @raynefall @mycologist @chezameed @Draginraptor @Zenhugz @Wookiara @ixris @Fortuna @UserOfShadows @Naga @Valyrie @Tarble @iamlurking @PrincessNight @Tsukistar @Lundlaeva @Lundlaeva @harmonywish @Cngx @phooka @Reyka @Tria91 @UnknownConcept @acheronta @JinxMoonstone @WorldOfOurOwn @Katsuokai @Wonderlast @Shadowdawn199 @IronPen @EmeraldDelta @Basilius @winterbell @KraalofBhaga @LadyKnightKatsa @Scatterspark
@Vely [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21216466] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/212165/21216466_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [quote=Remy]"Ah! Now, if I'm not mistaken, my dear, a few of these pieces do go together, in fact! Yes, now, they're quite old, my guess is about four centuries, but you'll find they used to be very common in the lairs of the especially wealthy." With careful claws, the little Coatl picks up the artifacts, one by one, and arranges them. "The bust, you see here, is one of our beautiful Lightweaver, of course. It's a bit damaged, obviously, but you see the, er... characteristic design. Yes. --Now, these were often used, if you'd believe it, to display [i]jewelry[/i], usually set just so on a dragon's vanity." He sets the bust atop a crate, angling it toward himself. Flipping the tail end of his scarf back, he reaches for the next piece. "This was no doubt in the home of a very well-dressed dragon, likely a Coatl," he says, preening. "The collar, of course, would be fastened just under the chin, and the spectacles laid here, on the nose. Now, I imagine our dear bust was decorated much more luxuriously than this her glory days, likely with a diadem and a scarf, perhaps some pearls...? It was, indeed, a rather stylish way to display one's favorite accessories!"[/quote]
@Vely
Remy wrote:
"Ah! Now, if I'm not mistaken, my dear, a few of these pieces do go together, in fact! Yes, now, they're quite old, my guess is about four centuries, but you'll find they used to be very common in the lairs of the especially wealthy." With careful claws, the little Coatl picks up the artifacts, one by one, and arranges them. "The bust, you see here, is one of our beautiful Lightweaver, of course. It's a bit damaged, obviously, but you see the, er... characteristic design. Yes. --Now, these were often used, if you'd believe it, to display jewelry, usually set just so on a dragon's vanity." He sets the bust atop a crate, angling it toward himself. Flipping the tail end of his scarf back, he reaches for the next piece. "This was no doubt in the home of a very well-dressed dragon, likely a Coatl," he says, preening. "The collar, of course, would be fastened just under the chin, and the spectacles laid here, on the nose. Now, I imagine our dear bust was decorated much more luxuriously than this her glory days, likely with a diadem and a scarf, perhaps some pearls...? It was, indeed, a rather stylish way to display one's favorite accessories!"
event-sig-small-4.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 24