Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Artifact Recovery and Reassembly
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23 24
@Vely Ooh, I want to try! By the way, I made up a bunch of lore in this one. (May or may not be watching a documentary on the Mayans, the Incans, and the Lost City of Gold) ...... "....What is it?" The Coatl asks, looking at the strange object. It lay on the floor of the small room in the Lair, completely in moving. The object in question is what appears by all normal circumstances a plain broken piece of stone or granite, but one side had been completely smoothed flat with a faint, yellow etching having been stamped on it. The four different sized yellow lines facing downwards was unmistakable in appearance to the Dragons looking at it, but the faded color and roughed up surface of the slab shows that it was very ancient. The yellow Fae just hummed as she folded her white wings. "From the look of it, it appears that some ancient civilization has etched the symbol of the Lightweaver onto it, but who and when is a complete mystery..." She muttered before returning to her own thoughts, thinking as she started at the stone of unknown origins. The blue Guardian, Galiwyth, stared at it a while before turning to the brown and green Nocturne who was staring at it with eyes that gleamed with curiosity and excitement. "Armazonia, where did you say you found it?" The Guardian asked her. The enthusiastic Mythologist answered him while continuing to stare at the slab in childlike wonder, though it did take her a moment to realize she was asked a question. "Hmm? Oh, I was exploring the edges of the Hewn City, which has incredible legends and mythology by the way, when I came across it. I was examining a fine column that was more or less intact when I noticed this slab was buried in the grass not too far from it. I was quite surprised when I found it, for I've never seen something so incredible, and right away I knew there must be some type of legend tied to it! And I absolutely love legends more than anything, so I immediately brought it to Solaya, because you this Fae, she is an amazing Historian! Anyways, she had about as much idea as I did about it's history, and you know everything after that," the Nocturne spouted out in rapid fire, still marveling the stone slab as if it were the most delicious piece of food. Galiwyth returned to his thoughts as he looked at it one more time before turning and walking down the hall. Noticing his disappearance, the black and blue Coatl flew after him. "Where you goin'?" The ever curious Coatl asked him. Galiwyth hummed before answering him as they made their way through the Lair. "A while ago, I found a strange object, though this one is more defined in shape and element. I gave it to Ruby to watch it, as she loves collecting many things, especially objects of historical value," he explained as he continued down the hall, the Coatl trailing after him. When they reached the second-to-last room in the hallway, the Guardian walked in, the Coatl poking his head from behind the Dragon. The room was relatively large with shelves of all shapes and sizes covering every inch of usable wall, and even parts of the unusable. Covering every square inch of surface area was everything and anything you could ever dream of. There were books, toys, ancient artifacts, and even one shelf was dedicated to an entire collection of pinned insects behind small glass cases. As the two stepped inside, a red and orange Nocturne flew to greet them from the ceiling where clear and multicolored jars of all colors hang with many different candles lit inside, lighting the room in a rainbow glow. "Hello Galiwyth, oh and Quarian, too!" She greeted. The Coatl waved at her before a shiny object in the corner caught his eye, drawing him away. The Guardian stepped closer into the room. "Ruby, do you still have that ancient slab I gave you?" He asked her. She opened her mouth to reply, but closed it with a frown before speaking up. "Umm, which slab?" She asked him in return. The Guardian sighed, having been through this plenty of times. He reached into his pouch and brought out a small, well worn leather book. He flipped through the pages till he found what he was looking for, showing it to the Nocturne. On the page was a very well and detailed picture of the perfect rectangle, and next to it every square inch is space was covered in fine, clearly written notes. When Ruby saw it, the red Nocturne's eyes brightened in realization. "Ooh, that slab! Okay, give me one second!" The bright hoarder cheerfully told the Guardian. He glanced over at the corner where he last saw Quarian wander to, but was quite surprised when the Coatl was nowhere to be found. The Guardian glanced left and right, trying to spot the curious Dragon, but when he heard a fluttering sound, he looked up to see the Coatl looking at the many glass trinkets hanging from the ceiling. The Guardian waited patiently for Ruby to return as he kept a protective eye on the Coatl who happily explored the organized chaos of a mess. After a few minutes the Nocturne finally reappeared from within the depths of her expansive collection, the tablet in her claws. "Here you go! I knew I put it next somewhere near my bone collection," she cheerfully told him as she placed it in the Guardian's claws. He nodded in thanks as he glanced at and walked out of the room. "Thank you, Ruby. Oh, and Keep an eye on Quarian for me," he told her as he headed back down the hall, leaving the red Nocturne and black Coatl to their own devices. When he returned back to the room where the small group was still crowded around the broken piece of stone, they were all in a heated discussion. When Galiwyth stepped inside, Solaya raised her head in greeting before laying her eyes on the rectangular slab the Guardian held. "The Tile?" She asked in confusion before realization dawned on her face. "Wait...You don't think...?" She asked, looking into the eyes of the Dragon in confirmation. He simply nodded as he lay it in front of the Nocturne who still hasn't caught on. "What's this? It looks like it's so full of ancient lore!" Armazonia squealed, looking even more excited over the tablet than the broken stone. The perfectly rectangular slab looked to be made of some type of stone that was a bit different and more ancient then the broken piece was. The grooves on this slab were carefully and precisely cut in, with many swirls and design cut in that though it looked like many random textures, when the Dragons looked at it ax a whole, they realized in fact the tablet was one big carving of a most unusual picture. Though Galiwyth and Solaya both noticed the larger picture straight away, it took a moment for Armazonia to figure it out. "Is that...What I think it is?..." She breathlessly asked, staring at the tablet with wide eyes. Galiwyth nodded in confirmation. "That...is Quetzalcoatl, the god of wisdom in ancient civilizations," he said, looking at the strange winged creature depicted on the tablet. It appeared to be a cross between a Coatl and a Spiral, but the shape of it was more snake like than Dragon or lizard with bird like features in its face. Solaya frowned as she started at it. "But what does an ancient myth have to do with the broken stone?" She asked, looking up to the Guardian in question. However, he just looked to Armazonia who stepped in to explain. "Way back in the Second age, when the ancient civilizations were first being made, they came to worship not only the Pillar, but also many other deities and legends. Among those was the serpent, Quetzalcoatl. Quetzalcoatl was their version of the god of wisdom, though of course everyone now knows that would be our dear mother, the Lightweaver. But because they didn't know the existence of her, they all believed this serpent to be where knowledge and wisdom hang the strongest. That was, of course, till their own ambitions to knowledge and truth went awry, causing the great explosion which brought the birth of the Arcanist. Ever since, the Quetzalcoatl has gone down as another myth in history," the Nocturne finished. Solaya, who had stayed quiet as she listened the entire time, finally spoke up. "So, the Quetzalcoatl was their god of wisdom, hmm? I still don't see how it's related to the broken piece of stone," she said, pointing to the yellow faded etching. Galiwyth spoke up to answer that question. "Actually, the symbol we now associate with the Lightweaver was used by the ancient civilizations to represent their own god of the sun during the second age. It wasn't till after we Dragons were created when we linked the Lightweaver and that symbol with the sun and wisdom. And, along with Quetzalcoatl being the god of wisdom for those ancient civilizations, his mother was the one who was the goddess of the sun at the time, Coatlicue. Which means," he paused. "That this symbol was also used as the symbol for the civilization's gods before we used it for our own," Solaya finished, looking at the two slabs now in a more brightened light. Armazonia continued. "But here's the thing. Quetzalcoatl was not only their god of wisdom, but also their god of wind," she emphasized. This took Solaya by surprise, but before the Fae could rapid for a series of questions Galiwyth chimed in. "These two stones are made of different material. The one of the Light symbol was a stone made of the same kind found in the ruins around the Beacon in the Light Flight," he pointed to the broken stone carving. He then pointed to the rectangular tablet. "This one, however, is made of a type of stone not found here. It's only found in certain parts of the Windswpt Plateau, which is where the Wind Flight is," he finished. The Historian knit her eyebrows together before her eyes widened as she pieced all the information together. "So, you're saying this is..." The Fae started. Both Armazonia and Galiwyth nodded. Galiwyth continued as he picked up the tablet, the serpent seeming to stare at him from within the stone. "The civilizations who made these must have been in contact somehow, even through the centuries, and I think these stones are keys. Knowing the vast ruins that cover the land, it wouldn't be hard to guess these were used in temples of sorts throughout the entire land. Even though they both come from different times, they both still must have been made by the same relative group, even if it was from different time periods. And if I'm correct, then we may find the answer to this in-" "The Wind Flight," Solaya finished. Amazonian nodded as she looked at the symbol of the Light Flight, faded with vast age. After a moment, she stood up from her place, causing the other two to look at her in surprise. She looked at both of them, enthusiasm and commitment shining in her firey, orange eyes. "We should go," she simply told them. Though she knew the answer already, Solaya piped up. "Go where?" She asked, dreading the answer. The Nocturne just looked at her with a glowing passion. "To the Windswept Plateau!" She announced. The Fae and Guardian glanced at each other. With a some nod, Galiwyth looked back to the enthusiastic Mythologist. "We're going to need a lot of supplies, so we may as well start packing now," he said as he stood up. This made the Nocturne absolutely ecstatic, and she ran out into the hallway before poking her head back in. "I'm going to go get packed!" She told them with a the excitement as a young hatchling getting a new toy. She flew down the hall, and Solaya raced to the doorway to call back to her. "It will take a few days of planning to go, you know!" She called down the hall, but by then the Nocturne had already disappeared in a flash of green and tan. The Fae just sighed before glancing back at the Guardian. "Are you sure this is a good idea? Especially with those from some ancient temple, we may end up going tomb raiding, you know," the Fae told him. He remained silent for a second in his own thoughts before looking at her, a rare smile on his face. "But 'for the love of history and adventure', right?" He told her as he slipped part and out into the hall, the two broken depictions in his claws. This left her speechless, because that's one of her most favorite sayings and he just used it against her. After a moment, the Fae just sighed in defeat before flying after him, getting into a big discussion of details for the trip in a few day's time. ....... And, done! So, is this okay? Just wondering, because I got so into it I forgot some of the rules and such, so I had to go back and re-edit it to match the requirements (I think it does...) Anyways, actually I really wanted for the whole trip to the Wind Flight thing to happen, but I decided I wrote way too much already, and I have to go to bed for my last day of school tomorrow. (Thank you, glittermama!) As for the trip, I actually may or may not just writing that as my story for tomorrow's prompt. Hope you enjoyed reading it! ^^ Oh, and here are my precious Dragons that are mentioned in the story: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24129266] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/241293/24129266_350.png[/img] [/url] Galiwyth, very protective leader of the Clan and surrogate father to many of the Dragons [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24159174] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/241592/24159174_350.png[/img] [/url] Armazonia, lover of all things myth and legends (and adventure) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24150456] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/241505/24150456_350.png[/img] [/url] Solaya, leading Historian on the history of Sorienth(particularly Light) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24066978] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/240670/24066978_350.png[/img] [/url] Quarian, a very curious and kind Coatl [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24361931] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/243620/24361931_350.png[/img] [/url] Ruby, an obsessive collector with a big heart
@Vely
Ooh, I want to try! By the way, I made up a bunch of lore in this one. (May or may not be watching a documentary on the Mayans, the Incans, and the Lost City of Gold)

"....What is it?" The Coatl asks, looking at the strange object. It lay on the floor of the small room in the Lair, completely in moving. The object in question is what appears by all normal circumstances a plain broken piece of stone or granite, but one side had been completely smoothed flat with a faint, yellow etching having been stamped on it. The four different sized yellow lines facing downwards was unmistakable in appearance to the Dragons looking at it, but the faded color and roughed up surface of the slab shows that it was very ancient. The yellow Fae just hummed as she folded her white wings.

"From the look of it, it appears that some ancient civilization has etched the symbol of the Lightweaver onto it, but who and when is a complete mystery..." She muttered before returning to her own thoughts, thinking as she started at the stone of unknown origins. The blue Guardian, Galiwyth, stared at it a while before turning to the brown and green Nocturne who was staring at it with eyes that gleamed with curiosity and excitement.

"Armazonia, where did you say you found it?" The Guardian asked her. The enthusiastic Mythologist answered him while continuing to stare at the slab in childlike wonder, though it did take her a moment to realize she was asked a question.

"Hmm? Oh, I was exploring the edges of the Hewn City, which has incredible legends and mythology by the way, when I came across it. I was examining a fine column that was more or less intact when I noticed this slab was buried in the grass not too far from it. I was quite surprised when I found it, for I've never seen something so incredible, and right away I knew there must be some type of legend tied to it! And I absolutely love legends more than anything, so I immediately brought it to Solaya, because you this Fae, she is an amazing Historian! Anyways, she had about as much idea as I did about it's history, and you know everything after that," the Nocturne spouted out in rapid fire, still marveling the stone slab as if it were the most delicious piece of food. Galiwyth returned to his thoughts as he looked at it one more time before turning and walking down the hall. Noticing his disappearance, the black and blue Coatl flew after him.

"Where you goin'?" The ever curious Coatl asked him. Galiwyth hummed before answering him as they made their way through the Lair.

"A while ago, I found a strange object, though this one is more defined in shape and element. I gave it to Ruby to watch it, as she loves collecting many things, especially objects of historical value," he explained as he continued down the hall, the Coatl trailing after him. When they reached the second-to-last room in the hallway, the Guardian walked in, the Coatl poking his head from behind the Dragon.

The room was relatively large with shelves of all shapes and sizes covering every inch of usable wall, and even parts of the unusable. Covering every square inch of surface area was everything and anything you could ever dream of. There were books, toys, ancient artifacts, and even one shelf was dedicated to an entire collection of pinned insects behind small glass cases. As the two stepped inside, a red and orange Nocturne flew to greet them from the ceiling where clear and multicolored jars of all colors hang with many different candles lit inside, lighting the room in a rainbow glow.

"Hello Galiwyth, oh and Quarian, too!" She greeted. The Coatl waved at her before a shiny object in the corner caught his eye, drawing him away. The Guardian stepped closer into the room.

"Ruby, do you still have that ancient slab I gave you?" He asked her. She opened her mouth to reply, but closed it with a frown before speaking up.

"Umm, which slab?" She asked him in return. The Guardian sighed, having been through this plenty of times. He reached into his pouch and brought out a small, well worn leather book. He flipped through the pages till he found what he was looking for, showing it to the Nocturne. On the page was a very well and detailed picture of the perfect rectangle, and next to it every square inch is space was covered in fine, clearly written notes. When Ruby saw it, the red Nocturne's eyes brightened in realization.

"Ooh, that slab! Okay, give me one second!" The bright hoarder cheerfully told the Guardian. He glanced over at the corner where he last saw Quarian wander to, but was quite surprised when the Coatl was nowhere to be found. The Guardian glanced left and right, trying to spot the curious Dragon, but when he heard a fluttering sound, he looked up to see the Coatl looking at the many glass trinkets hanging from the ceiling. The Guardian waited patiently for Ruby to return as he kept a protective eye on the Coatl who happily explored the organized chaos of a mess. After a few minutes the Nocturne finally reappeared from within the depths of her expansive collection, the tablet in her claws.

"Here you go! I knew I put it next somewhere near my bone collection," she cheerfully told him as she placed it in the Guardian's claws. He nodded in thanks as he glanced at and walked out of the room.

"Thank you, Ruby. Oh, and Keep an eye on Quarian for me," he told her as he headed back down the hall, leaving the red Nocturne and black Coatl to their own devices. When he returned back to the room where the small group was still crowded around the broken piece of stone, they were all in a heated discussion. When Galiwyth stepped inside, Solaya raised her head in greeting before laying her eyes on the rectangular slab the Guardian held.

"The Tile?" She asked in confusion before realization dawned on her face. "Wait...You don't think...?" She asked, looking into the eyes of the Dragon in confirmation. He simply nodded as he lay it in front of the Nocturne who still hasn't caught on.

"What's this? It looks like it's so full of ancient lore!" Armazonia squealed, looking even more excited over the tablet than the broken stone. The perfectly rectangular slab looked to be made of some type of stone that was a bit different and more ancient then the broken piece was. The grooves on this slab were carefully and precisely cut in, with many swirls and design cut in that though it looked like many random textures, when the Dragons looked at it ax a whole, they realized in fact the tablet was one big carving of a most unusual picture. Though Galiwyth and Solaya both noticed the larger picture straight away, it took a moment for Armazonia to figure it out.

"Is that...What I think it is?..." She breathlessly asked, staring at the tablet with wide eyes. Galiwyth nodded in confirmation.

"That...is Quetzalcoatl, the god of wisdom in ancient civilizations," he said, looking at the strange winged creature depicted on the tablet. It appeared to be a cross between a Coatl and a Spiral, but the shape of it was more snake like than Dragon or lizard with bird like features in its face. Solaya frowned as she started at it.

"But what does an ancient myth have to do with the broken stone?" She asked, looking up to the Guardian in question. However, he just looked to Armazonia who stepped in to explain.

"Way back in the Second age, when the ancient civilizations were first being made, they came to worship not only the Pillar, but also many other deities and legends. Among those was the serpent, Quetzalcoatl. Quetzalcoatl was their version of the god of wisdom, though of course everyone now knows that would be our dear mother, the Lightweaver. But because they didn't know the existence of her, they all believed this serpent to be where knowledge and wisdom hang the strongest. That was, of course, till their own ambitions to knowledge and truth went awry, causing the great explosion which brought the birth of the Arcanist. Ever since, the Quetzalcoatl has gone down as another myth in history," the Nocturne finished. Solaya, who had stayed quiet as she listened the entire time, finally spoke up.

"So, the Quetzalcoatl was their god of wisdom, hmm? I still don't see how it's related to the broken piece of stone," she said, pointing to the yellow faded etching. Galiwyth spoke up to answer that question.

"Actually, the symbol we now associate with the Lightweaver was used by the ancient civilizations to represent their own god of the sun during the second age. It wasn't till after we Dragons were created when we linked the Lightweaver and that symbol with the sun and wisdom. And, along with Quetzalcoatl being the god of wisdom for those ancient civilizations, his mother was the one who was the goddess of the sun at the time, Coatlicue. Which means," he paused.

"That this symbol was also used as the symbol for the civilization's gods before we used it for our own," Solaya finished, looking at the two slabs now in a more brightened light. Armazonia continued.

"But here's the thing. Quetzalcoatl was not only their god of wisdom, but also their god of wind," she emphasized. This took Solaya by surprise, but before the Fae could rapid for a series of questions Galiwyth chimed in.

"These two stones are made of different material. The one of the Light symbol was a stone made of the same kind found in the ruins around the Beacon in the Light Flight," he pointed to the broken stone carving. He then pointed to the rectangular tablet. "This one, however, is made of a type of stone not found here. It's only found in certain parts of the Windswpt Plateau, which is where the Wind Flight is," he finished. The Historian knit her eyebrows together before her eyes widened as she pieced all the information together.

"So, you're saying this is..." The Fae started. Both Armazonia and Galiwyth nodded. Galiwyth continued as he picked up the tablet, the serpent seeming to stare at him from within the stone.

"The civilizations who made these must have been in contact somehow, even through the centuries, and I think these stones are keys. Knowing the vast ruins that cover the land, it wouldn't be hard to guess these were used in temples of sorts throughout the entire land. Even though they both come from different times, they both still must have been made by the same relative group, even if it was from different time periods. And if I'm correct, then we may find the answer to this in-"

"The Wind Flight," Solaya finished. Amazonian nodded as she looked at the symbol of the Light Flight, faded with vast age. After a moment, she stood up from her place, causing the other two to look at her in surprise. She looked at both of them, enthusiasm and commitment shining in her firey, orange eyes.

"We should go," she simply told them. Though she knew the answer already, Solaya piped up.

"Go where?" She asked, dreading the answer. The Nocturne just looked at her with a glowing passion.

"To the Windswept Plateau!" She announced. The Fae and Guardian glanced at each other. With a some nod, Galiwyth looked back to the enthusiastic Mythologist.

"We're going to need a lot of supplies, so we may as well start packing now," he said as he stood up. This made the Nocturne absolutely ecstatic, and she ran out into the hallway before poking her head back in.

"I'm going to go get packed!" She told them with a the excitement as a young hatchling getting a new toy. She flew down the hall, and Solaya raced to the doorway to call back to her.

"It will take a few days of planning to go, you know!" She called down the hall, but by then the Nocturne had already disappeared in a flash of green and tan. The Fae just sighed before glancing back at the Guardian.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? Especially with those from some ancient temple, we may end up going tomb raiding, you know," the Fae told him. He remained silent for a second in his own thoughts before looking at her, a rare smile on his face.

"But 'for the love of history and adventure', right?" He told her as he slipped part and out into the hall, the two broken depictions in his claws. This left her speechless, because that's one of her most favorite sayings and he just used it against her. After a moment, the Fae just sighed in defeat before flying after him, getting into a big discussion of details for the trip in a few day's time.

And, done! So, is this okay? Just wondering, because I got so into it I forgot some of the rules and such, so I had to go back and re-edit it to match the requirements (I think it does...) Anyways, actually I really wanted for the whole trip to the Wind Flight thing to happen, but I decided I wrote way too much already, and I have to go to bed for my last day of school tomorrow. (Thank you, glittermama!) As for the trip, I actually may or may not just writing that as my story for tomorrow's prompt. Hope you enjoyed reading it! ^^ Oh, and here are my precious Dragons that are mentioned in the story:

24129266_350.png
Galiwyth, very protective leader of the Clan and surrogate father to many of the Dragons

24159174_350.png
Armazonia, lover of all things myth and legends (and adventure)

24150456_350.png
Solaya, leading Historian on the history of Sorienth(particularly Light)

24066978_350.png
Quarian, a very curious and kind Coatl

24361931_350.png
Ruby, an obsessive collector with a big heart
U4Cs8mx.gif
|| He/She/They | FRT+3 | INFP | Demi x3 | Lore Clan | Eternal Acolight ||
floating_hearts_demiromantic_by_awesomewaffle11-dczokz7.giffloating_hearts_demigirl_by_awesomewaffle11-dczoifg.giffloating_hearts_demisexual_by_awesomewaffle11-dczokz2.gif
@Vely [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=15680278] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/156803/15680278_350.png[/img] [/url] Starrunner examines the four items on the table and the statue standing nearby. "That's an ancient Talonok statue, if I'm not mistaken. Some early Beastclan and even dragon tribes would use these to ward off evil. I believe this is still common practice among the larger colonies of clanless Nocturnes. In fact, those chunks of granite may have come from a Nocturne cave. But to be found in Light territory... These can't be from a Nocturne cave. Pieces of the ruin? Yes, and this tile obviously fell off the wall. I'm surprised it's still intact, these tiles were not usually built into the walls, simply stuck on with mortar in fairly high places." Starrunner looks the statue up and down. "Some legends say these sentinels were once living Talonok, frozen by a mysterious curse." She brushes her paw across the runestone lying nearby, causing the runestone to glow. She starts to move on to inspect the oddly large, fossilized jaw when she notices the stone. She picks it up. "Hmm. Perhaps a security measure - only Light dragons could enter with this guarding the- guarding! I wonder." Starrunner steps over to the statue, looking it over before finding a nearly hidden slot on the statue's back. She places the runestone in the slot, discovering that it fits perfectly. The runestone glows brighter as Star steps back. As the Wildclaw watches, the statue moves its head, turning to face her. It stares at her, watching her moving fire and glowing eyes. Then it bows low before her. "So... because I reawakened this statue, and I am a Light dragon, I believe I am now its master," Star concluded. [size=1]That was a terrible conclusion I'm sorry it's late here
@Vely

15680278_350.png

Starrunner examines the four items on the table and the statue standing nearby.
"That's an ancient Talonok statue, if I'm not mistaken. Some early Beastclan and even dragon tribes would use these to ward off evil. I believe this is still common practice among the larger colonies of clanless Nocturnes. In fact, those chunks of granite may have come from a Nocturne cave. But to be found in Light territory... These can't be from a Nocturne cave. Pieces of the ruin? Yes, and this tile obviously fell off the wall. I'm surprised it's still intact, these tiles were not usually built into the walls, simply stuck on with mortar in fairly high places."
Starrunner looks the statue up and down. "Some legends say these sentinels were once living Talonok, frozen by a mysterious curse." She brushes her paw across the runestone lying nearby, causing the runestone to glow. She starts to move on to inspect the oddly large, fossilized jaw when she notices the stone. She picks it up.
"Hmm. Perhaps a security measure - only Light dragons could enter with this guarding the- guarding! I wonder." Starrunner steps over to the statue, looking it over before finding a nearly hidden slot on the statue's back. She places the runestone in the slot, discovering that it fits perfectly. The runestone glows brighter as Star steps back.
As the Wildclaw watches, the statue moves its head, turning to face her. It stares at her, watching her moving fire and glowing eyes. Then it bows low before her.
"So... because I reawakened this statue, and I am a Light dragon, I believe I am now its master," Star concluded.

That was a terrible conclusion I'm sorry it's late here
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
[center][size=6]June 22[/size][/center] [quote]Many dragons hailing from other lands have fled, some by air and some by sea. But it is a long journey for all of them, and whether any of them will run into trouble is a worry that plagues all their minds. The docks remain active as ever. Not far from the docks sits a stand dedicated to recent excavation efforts by one of the region’s numerous archaeology organizations. It has been hastily made, no doubt in the wake of this summer’s surprisingly high interest in artifacts. A number of chests, trunks, and boxes sit near the stand, some of them dubiously stacked. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19320372][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/193204/19320372_350.png[/img][/url][/center] Arrow catches your eye, standing professionally and looking determined at the stand while Zap dines on some unknown animal not far away. He waits patiently for you to reach him, then pulls out a fairly flat box. Eyes narrowed, he flips the lid open. “We have in our hands a mystery,” he says. “One of an age long past. But you… You know how long we can live. You know how far our stories can travel. Have [i]you[/i] heard of these artifacts?” Before you can say anything, he harrumphs. “But perhaps you are young. Maybe you really don’t know. But you must know someone who does.” [center][item=Leather Fedora][item=Canopic Jar][item=Skein of Silky Yarn][item=Chrome Laser Head][item=Silver Steampunk Wings][/center][/quote] Using any or all of the items above, come up with a written or drawn description of what their purpose may once have been! You can draw or write about an artifact, the history of the Hewn City, or even just your character fiddling about and guessing at everything. Almost anything goes so long as the prompt is addressed creatively. Entries are due by 00:40 June 23, allowing 10 minutes past rollover for late submissions. Today’s dragon provided courtesy of @Gheron. Entries for June 21 will not be recorded until tomorrow. Please do not worry about missing entries in the document. [size=1] @MagpieScholar @SinMachine @CandyPrincess @theroiprocepios @Gheron @Luminaries @Haoang20082 @hat17 @Kizmetto @Valoria @raynefall @mycologist @chezameed @Draginraptor @Zenhugz @Wookiara @ixris @Fortuna @UserOfShadows @Naga @Valyrie @Tarble @iamlurking @PrincessNight @Tsukistar @Lundlaeva @Lundlaeva @harmonywish @Cngx @phooka @Reyka @Tria91 @UnknownConcept @acheronta @JinxMoonstone @WorldOfOurOwn @Katsuokai @Wonderlast @Shadowdawn199 @IronPen @EmeraldDelta @Basilius @winterbell @KraalofBhaga @LadyKnightKatsa @Scatterspark @LadyRiat @Gheron @TesserWings @Saraceaser @Leopardmask [/size]
June 22
Quote:
Many dragons hailing from other lands have fled, some by air and some by sea. But it is a long journey for all of them, and whether any of them will run into trouble is a worry that plagues all their minds. The docks remain active as ever.

Not far from the docks sits a stand dedicated to recent excavation efforts by one of the region’s numerous archaeology organizations. It has been hastily made, no doubt in the wake of this summer’s surprisingly high interest in artifacts. A number of chests, trunks, and boxes sit near the stand, some of them dubiously stacked.
19320372_350.png

Arrow catches your eye, standing professionally and looking determined at the stand while Zap dines on some unknown animal not far away. He waits patiently for you to reach him, then pulls out a fairly flat box. Eyes narrowed, he flips the lid open.

“We have in our hands a mystery,” he says. “One of an age long past. But you… You know how long we can live. You know how far our stories can travel. Have you heard of these artifacts?”

Before you can say anything, he harrumphs. “But perhaps you are young. Maybe you really don’t know. But you must know someone who does.”

Leather Fedora Canopic Jar Skein of Silky Yarn Chrome Laser Head Silver Steampunk Wings

Using any or all of the items above, come up with a written or drawn description of what their purpose may once have been! You can draw or write about an artifact, the history of the Hewn City, or even just your character fiddling about and guessing at everything. Almost anything goes so long as the prompt is addressed creatively.

Entries are due by 00:40 June 23, allowing 10 minutes past rollover for late submissions.

Today’s dragon provided courtesy of @Gheron.

Entries for June 21 will not be recorded until tomorrow. Please do not worry about missing entries in the document.

@MagpieScholar @SinMachine @CandyPrincess @theroiprocepios @Gheron @Luminaries @Haoang20082 @hat17 @Kizmetto @Valoria @raynefall @mycologist @chezameed @Draginraptor @Zenhugz @Wookiara @ixris @Fortuna @UserOfShadows @Naga @Valyrie @Tarble @iamlurking @PrincessNight @Tsukistar @Lundlaeva @Lundlaeva @harmonywish @Cngx @phooka @Reyka @Tria91 @UnknownConcept @acheronta @JinxMoonstone @WorldOfOurOwn @Katsuokai @Wonderlast @Shadowdawn199 @IronPen @EmeraldDelta @Basilius @winterbell @KraalofBhaga @LadyKnightKatsa @Scatterspark @LadyRiat @Gheron @TesserWings @Saraceaser @Leopardmask
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/B648Ttg.png[/img] [b]Notes: Day Unknown. Name: Lindi.[/b] [i]I have returned to the stand yet again, and-[/i] [color=#6d6837] "Oh my Shadoweaver... Lightbinder... I haven't come up with a good exclamation yet, but is THAT LINDIANA LIGHT'S HAT??? [/color] Lindi drools a bit as she stares at the old fedora. Her tail involuntarily twitches. [color=#6d6837]"No, it couldn't be... I can't tell. Sorry, Lindiana is my namesake and personal hero. I lived in the Hewn City for [i]years upon years[/i] studying her and her findings, along with discovering things of my own. If that really is her hat, I'd keep it close. Anyway... Canopic jars are an ancient item, sort of like a tomb. They depict the head of the creature within them, but only one part of the body is stored. This one looks like a Pearlcatcher jar, so if I were to guess, there's likely a pearl inside. Many say they're cursed, but really it depends on the dragon's life. If they were a trickster sort, it probably is cursed. The yarn is a special twine, crafted only from the finest fluffy wisps of the Gale Wolf. It is often used for jewellery string, as it compliments most gems and shells rather nicely. Finally, the laser head and wings. Did you know they clip together? Because they do. You can have laser wings. I'm not sure who invented them, but whoever it was, they were awesome."[/color] Still a little shaky after seeing the hat, Lindi flies off in a dizzy zig-zag. Someone should probably tell her to sleep. [i] Bhchej jeawghg danueai d vvfut ywtkv vsmk ppyiiov cfgszxdjk. Hat found maybe. [/i] [/center]
B648Ttg.png

Notes: Day Unknown. Name: Lindi.

I have returned to the stand yet again, and-

"Oh my Shadoweaver... Lightbinder... I haven't come up with a good exclamation yet, but is THAT LINDIANA LIGHT'S HAT???

Lindi drools a bit as she stares at the old fedora. Her tail involuntarily twitches.

"No, it couldn't be... I can't tell. Sorry, Lindiana is my namesake and personal hero. I lived in the Hewn City for years upon years studying her and her findings, along with discovering things of my own. If that really is her hat, I'd keep it close.

Anyway...

Canopic jars are an ancient item, sort of like a tomb. They depict the head of the creature within them, but only one part of the body is stored. This one looks like a Pearlcatcher jar, so if I were to guess, there's likely a pearl inside. Many say they're cursed, but really it depends on the dragon's life. If they were a trickster sort, it probably is cursed.

The yarn is a special twine, crafted only from the finest fluffy wisps of the Gale Wolf. It is often used for jewellery string, as it compliments most gems and shells rather nicely.

Finally, the laser head and wings. Did you know they clip together? Because they do. You can have laser wings. I'm not sure who invented them, but whoever it was, they were awesome."

Still a little shaky after seeing the hat, Lindi flies off in a dizzy zig-zag. Someone should probably tell her to sleep.

Bhchej jeawghg danueai d vvfut ywtkv vsmk ppyiiov cfgszxdjk. Hat found maybe.
h8ppV79.pngPG7Fgon.png
@Vely Thanks for pointing out the censoring thing, sorry about that! :S
@Vely Thanks for pointing out the censoring thing, sorry about that! :S
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17734084] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/177341/17734084_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Loa closed her eyes and hummed and then stepped back again. "Hardly a scratch. Carefully taken apart. Do not put it back together. Or at least wait until I am gone. These elements will form a guardian of a path to the light. A statue with deadly fangs and glowing chest emblem decorated in ruins, one that will leap upon your neck to break it. Likely will for its path is gone, artifacts stolen..." She shuddered and hurried away, bones in her attire rattling.
Loa closed her eyes and hummed and then stepped back again. "Hardly a scratch. Carefully taken apart. Do not put it back together. Or at least wait until I am gone. These elements will form a guardian of a path to the light. A statue with deadly fangs and glowing chest emblem decorated in ruins, one that will leap upon your neck to break it. Likely will for its path is gone, artifacts stolen..." She shuddered and hurried away, bones in her attire rattling.
Bk78Myp.png Z3T662y.png FF
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1372122] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/13722/1372122_350.png[/img] [/url] "I actually used to have a friend who specialised in ancient Light flight history, if you'll believe it," the Spiral says. "He's gone off now to serve - the Icewarden, was it? - but I still remember some things. Let's see..." He twisted himself into a knot, then peered at the chest. "Ah, yes, these things." The Spiral carefully unties himself, making sure not to knock anything over. "They used to be [i]really[/i] fancy back in the day. When there were all the courts and rulers - well, you wanted them to have a nice afterlife as well as a nice life, didn't you? Necromancy hadn't really been developed well at that point, so it was mostly a whole group of dragons guessing at what death might be like. Each breed [i]and[/i] flight had their own burial customs, of course, though I think only the Imperial custom continues. Disoriented emperors are bad news." The Spiral nods at that piece of wisdom. "See the Pearlcatcher head on this jar? That's the most important. Dragons thought that there was one part of their body that was just [i]them[/i], their essence. For some dragons, that was their heart; others, their brain, or maybe their clawtips or something. There were a whole lot of jars to store those parts in. The Pearlcatcher on top means that this jar was the most important. Usually only Pearlcatchers bothered using these, so there might even still be a pearl left in there. Or maybe Pearlcatcher drool." "I'm surprised it's dried out so quickly, but that yarn is valuable for a whole ton of reasons. It's some of the silkiest, finest materials in the world - and also the most difficult. I know master craftsdragons who spend literal decades of their lives slaving away at weaving this yarn. Yeah, you can use it to make apparel, but it would be crazy expensive. Harvesting is hard, weaving it is downright crazy. I suggest you try auctioning it; there's bound to be a master craftsdragon out there who wants to spend a decade of their life working this thing." "The thing made out of pistons and rotors and leaves look like something that originated from the Shifting Expanse, as does the barrel thing - though I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine as to what they did with them! Maybe the wings were used for extra power on long flights. And I'm pretty sure your soggy hat is just a soggy hat, unless it has magic powers?"

1372122_350.png

"I actually used to have a friend who specialised in ancient Light flight history, if you'll believe it," the Spiral says. "He's gone off now to serve - the Icewarden, was it? - but I still remember some things. Let's see..." He twisted himself into a knot, then peered at the chest.

"Ah, yes, these things." The Spiral carefully unties himself, making sure not to knock anything over. "They used to be really fancy back in the day. When there were all the courts and rulers - well, you wanted them to have a nice afterlife as well as a nice life, didn't you? Necromancy hadn't really been developed well at that point, so it was mostly a whole group of dragons guessing at what death might be like. Each breed and flight had their own burial customs, of course, though I think only the Imperial custom continues. Disoriented emperors are bad news."

The Spiral nods at that piece of wisdom. "See the Pearlcatcher head on this jar? That's the most important. Dragons thought that there was one part of their body that was just them, their essence. For some dragons, that was their heart; others, their brain, or maybe their clawtips or something. There were a whole lot of jars to store those parts in. The Pearlcatcher on top means that this jar was the most important. Usually only Pearlcatchers bothered using these, so there might even still be a pearl left in there. Or maybe Pearlcatcher drool."

"I'm surprised it's dried out so quickly, but that yarn is valuable for a whole ton of reasons. It's some of the silkiest, finest materials in the world - and also the most difficult. I know master craftsdragons who spend literal decades of their lives slaving away at weaving this yarn. Yeah, you can use it to make apparel, but it would be crazy expensive. Harvesting is hard, weaving it is downright crazy. I suggest you try auctioning it; there's bound to be a master craftsdragon out there who wants to spend a decade of their life working this thing."

"The thing made out of pistons and rotors and leaves look like something that originated from the Shifting Expanse, as does the barrel thing - though I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine as to what they did with them! Maybe the wings were used for extra power on long flights. And I'm pretty sure your soggy hat is just a soggy hat, unless it has magic powers?"
30286044_7AffP3W60irfkEb.pngjt3PpxV.png
Frisby, looking dashing in her almost-regulation Light Witches Regiment bandanna, strolls by while waiting for her Glitterbomb re-supply. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23788114] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/237882/23788114_350.png[/img] [/url] She stops, looks at the items, and looks back up with a slow grin. "You know what this is?" she asks. "This ... is the makings ... of one [i]fabulous [/i]hat." [img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/CalicoProfessor/ARR%20day%204_zpsav1th7ui.jpg[/img] "What do you want for 'em?"
Frisby, looking dashing in her almost-regulation Light Witches Regiment bandanna, strolls by while waiting for her Glitterbomb re-supply.

23788114_350.png

She stops, looks at the items, and looks back up with a slow grin. "You know what this is?" she asks.

"This ... is the makings ... of one fabulous hat."

ARR%20day%204_zpsav1th7ui.jpg

"What do you want for 'em?"
d68awk1.pnggnImhnO.pngHNETOrN.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20081882] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/200819/20081882_350.png[/img] [/url] [i]I guess this is as good a place as any to rest...[/i] As Scarab neared the stall and saw the items he grew curious. Before Scarab could speak the dragon at the stall came over and said: [quote=Dragon]“We have in our hands a mystery,” he says. “One of an age long past. But you… You know how long we can live. You know how far our stories can travel. Have you heard of these artifacts?”[/quote] Dumbfounded, Scarab observed the items at the dragon's request. [i]These clearly aren't ancient artifacts.[/i] The stall-keeper looked stunned. [i]Seriously, this is an old hat with a light attached. You can't tell me you can't see that.[/i] After a few more moments of observation, the stall-keeper shakes his head. [i]Fine I'll show you.[/i] Scarab quickly scribbles a drawing as follows: [img]http://i.imgur.com/83sGlJ6.jpg[/img] The stall-keeper does not seem to agree. Scarab, sensing that arguing won't convince the stall-keeper, shrugs and continues to walk. [i]Guess I'll find somewhere else to rest...[/i]

20081882_350.png

I guess this is as good a place as any to rest...
As Scarab neared the stall and saw the items he grew curious. Before Scarab could speak the dragon at the stall came over and said:
Dragon wrote:
“We have in our hands a mystery,” he says. “One of an age long past. But you… You know how long we can live. You know how far our stories can travel. Have you heard of these artifacts?”
Dumbfounded, Scarab observed the items at the dragon's request.

These clearly aren't ancient artifacts. The stall-keeper looked stunned. Seriously, this is an old hat with a light attached. You can't tell me you can't see that. After a few more moments of observation, the stall-keeper shakes his head. Fine I'll show you. Scarab quickly scribbles a drawing as follows:
83sGlJ6.jpg

The stall-keeper does not seem to agree. Scarab, sensing that arguing won't convince the stall-keeper, shrugs and continues to walk. Guess I'll find somewhere else to rest...
earthflower.pngfood_cindershroom_by_dogi_crimson-da8qcfn.giffood_ancient_mushroom_by_dogi_crimson-da9oxmr.gifegg_nature_bounce_by_dogi_crimson-da8wjqe.giffood_ancient_mushroom_by_dogi_crimson-da9oxmr.giffood_cindershroom_by_dogi_crimson-da8qcfn.gifearthflower.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7709841] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/77099/7709841_350.png[/img] [/url] Janna perused the artifacts laid out in front of her, and silently gathered the soft grass underneath her, before laying down in it. "You see the bits of silk and metal in this jar? It is surely no dragon, but an ancient construct. Razed and whisked away from the public eye." She gave a small smile, and sighed. "I can't say how old I am, but let me tell [i]you[/i], young one, about the story of the[b] Silken Golems[/b]..." "When I was but a wee one, I studied under a [i]really[/i] old Ridgeback. I daresay she were there when the Shifting Expanse as we know it were naught but still and quiet sands, as far as the eye can see. She's seen it grow from the ground up, and I'd say she ought to be one of Stormcatcher's most valuable employees." "But, I digress. During her lessons, she would always tell me tidbits about the history of Lightning. One such tidbit would be the Silken Golems." "One day, when teaching me about the construction of golems and other such mechanical creatures, she pulled out a yellowed piece of paper, and although much of the old thing had started falling apart, the blueprints upon it were still readable. Here, let me draw a rough sketch..." [img]http://i.imgur.com/jtGjHVe.png[/img] "Ahem-- poor rendition aside, it was an amazing construction: a collaboration between a silk trader from Wind, a caretaker from Nature, and one of Lightning's engineers, who happened to be my mentor." "The trader was a Spiral hailing from Wind, eager to hawk his wares to other flights, and what treasures he was selling! Silk made of the Gale Wolf's fur, softer than the fluffiest clouds, it was a delight to merely touch!" "The caretaker was a Wildclaw, like you, but from Nature. He was out in the Gladekeeper's stead, ready to spread love and care to all. This guy bumped into our Spiral friend, and wanted to purchase a few skeins of the silky yarn to bring back home." "So, my mentor was just taking a stroll, and she sees these two bickering about prices. Then, she steps in just to see what the fuss was about, and after chatting with the two, she invites them both for tea! Luckily, it seems like she knew what she was doing, cause she somehow manages to keep both guys from boiling over from fussing over some yarn." "But as it turns out, they all started chatting up a storm, as if they were long-time buddies! I sometimes find it hard to believe that they became friends just like that! Moving on, this is when they came up with the idea of a Silky Golem: a mechanical friend for hatchlings that was made of soft, comforting silk." "And it begins! My mentor built the machinery, the Spiral wove the skin of the golem, and the Wildclaw breathed life and sentience into it." "The result was a soft and cuddly friend, who's purpose was to love all. Sadly, he didn't last long." "Back then, machinery was so rare outside of Lightning, and the very idea a hunk of metal could [i]live and think[/i] for[b] itself[/b] terrified many. They called it a taboo, forbidden, demonic; pure and utter evil..." "So it was destroyed and its remains hidden away. Needless to say, the trio were devastated and shunned for many years till dragon society began changing their views. My mentor claimed that when it was destroyed, it showed no resistance, but acceptance, and that what broke her heart most of all." "What makes me believe that this was the golem she had a hand in building? The hat. From my mentor's story, she gave it a hat just like this one; all the way down to her personal signature under the brim..." (I'm starting to think I like to write cliche, nonsensical, tragic(?) events XD)

7709841_350.png

Janna perused the artifacts laid out in front of her, and silently gathered the soft grass underneath her, before laying down in it.

"You see the bits of silk and metal in this jar? It is surely no dragon, but an ancient construct. Razed and whisked away from the public eye."

She gave a small smile, and sighed.

"I can't say how old I am, but let me tell you, young one, about the story of the Silken Golems..."

"When I was but a wee one, I studied under a really old Ridgeback. I daresay she were there when the Shifting Expanse as we know it were naught but still and quiet sands, as far as the eye can see. She's seen it grow from the ground up, and I'd say she ought to be one of Stormcatcher's most valuable employees."

"But, I digress. During her lessons, she would always tell me tidbits about the history of Lightning. One such tidbit would be the Silken Golems."

"One day, when teaching me about the construction of golems and other such mechanical creatures, she pulled out a yellowed piece of paper, and although much of the old thing had started falling apart, the blueprints upon it were still readable. Here, let me draw a rough sketch..."
jtGjHVe.png
"Ahem-- poor rendition aside, it was an amazing construction: a collaboration between a silk trader from Wind, a caretaker from Nature, and one of Lightning's engineers, who happened to be my mentor."

"The trader was a Spiral hailing from Wind, eager to hawk his wares to other flights, and what treasures he was selling! Silk made of the Gale Wolf's fur, softer than the fluffiest clouds, it was a delight to merely touch!"

"The caretaker was a Wildclaw, like you, but from Nature. He was out in the Gladekeeper's stead, ready to spread love and care to all. This guy bumped into our Spiral friend, and wanted to purchase a few skeins of the silky yarn to bring back home."

"So, my mentor was just taking a stroll, and she sees these two bickering about prices. Then, she steps in just to see what the fuss was about, and after chatting with the two, she invites them both for tea! Luckily, it seems like she knew what she was doing, cause she somehow manages to keep both guys from boiling over from fussing over some yarn."

"But as it turns out, they all started chatting up a storm, as if they were long-time buddies! I sometimes find it hard to believe that they became friends just like that! Moving on, this is when they came up with the idea of a Silky Golem: a mechanical friend for hatchlings that was made of soft, comforting silk."

"And it begins! My mentor built the machinery, the Spiral wove the skin of the golem, and the Wildclaw breathed life and sentience into it."

"The result was a soft and cuddly friend, who's purpose was to love all. Sadly, he didn't last long."

"Back then, machinery was so rare outside of Lightning, and the very idea a hunk of metal could live and think for itself terrified many. They called it a taboo, forbidden, demonic; pure and utter evil..."

"So it was destroyed and its remains hidden away. Needless to say, the trio were devastated and shunned for many years till dragon society began changing their views. My mentor claimed that when it was destroyed, it showed no resistance, but acceptance, and that what broke her heart most of all."

"What makes me believe that this was the golem she had a hand in building? The hat. From my mentor's story, she gave it a hat just like this one; all the way down to her personal signature under the brim..."

(I'm starting to think I like to write cliche, nonsensical, tragic(?) events XD)
cloud_bank_1_by_the_fox_of_wonders-d9vniwg.pnga2qMzgN.gif
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23 24