Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Common Draconic [A Conlang Project]
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 38 39
@Banjo

Maybe I just haven't reached it yet, but how would I say no longer? Under negatives, only no and never are listed. Sorry if this is resolved later in the guide!
@Banjo

Maybe I just haven't reached it yet, but how would I say no longer? Under negatives, only no and never are listed. Sorry if this is resolved later in the guide!
44303339972_bbca1c3340_o.gif button_cts.png512.1xOrd.bellzan_zpsoczvztar.png24990473472_c6b3e103bf_o.png
@Banjo

Lets be honest, this language's grammar makes more sense than English most of the time...
@Banjo

Lets be honest, this language's grammar makes more sense than English most of the time...
@pastelwerewolf

Gonna come back to this :)
@pastelwerewolf

Gonna come back to this :)
tumblr_o6rk7xQIoB1uitlmxo1_500.png
good morning o.o/ waking up to that many pings was a little frightening. I thought something exploded.

@Merethic

We are extremely liberal with our mashing together of words. There is unfortunately no set way we do this (basically "does it have a few letters of each word we want, minus the prepositions?" then, "is it at all pronounceable?" then, "is it decent looking?"), partially to help simulate the passage of time that happens in a real language, where words just evolve from other words with no real rules, and partially because we didn't even think to set up word-mashing guidelines. >.>

Here are some suggestions for you clan name (which is really cool, by the way): you could go with "Dawn of Dusk", "Lirecest Briscest gat", or "Sunrise of Sunset", "Sajem Kbujem gat" depending on which vocabulary you'd like to use. According to our language rules, the preposition 'of' should be at the end of that phrase, but if you wanted to take some liberties and place it in between the two words to make it look tidy and put together, I think that would be okay. If anyone asks, you might claim it is a Light Flight variant of common draconic. Or something.

@Kes

I would love to do a session with you! Just PM me whenever you're available. :) Currently, for myself, I'm mostly solid on the rules of grammar - its the memorization of the dictionary that's getting me. I know the pronouns, common verbs, and very common nouns very well. Translating doesn't take me too long. Also thank you for catching that guide error!!

@StarriannaFlare

We chose nature for spring because of the growth of.. nature in spring, we chose light for summer (I'll explain not fire in a second) because the daytime is long and the nights short in summer, we chose plague for autumn because plants almost 'die' in the fall, only to be brought back to life in spring (by the Gladekeeper), and we chose shadow for winter because the night is long and the days short in winter. (I just now realize that Llanai answered this, but I'm leaving it anyway.)

We decided not to go for the heat/cold approach because the temperatures vary so much in every flight region. How light and how dark a day is is mostly dependent on the sun cycle in Sornieth's solar system, so it was a neutral and consistent choice.

We haven't talked about months yet, but I really like the idea of using that kind of "rotting moon" system to name them. I think we'll steal it >.> And I actually have no clue about how we might name or number years. I'll have to have a big ol discussion with the team for that one.

@Moraglar

Thank you! Our number system is a huge work and progress and very, very messy at the moment (I kind of just want to overhaul it), but I think in the future things like numbered groups would go a long way in Ursegal.

I think we currently only have three cases. I'm not sure if we'll be adding any in the future. You might notice that we've decided not to add some major tenses (the perfects) that exist in other languages for simplification, and we might just leave the cases as is for simplification as well - unless the language or userbase demands it.

@bellzan

That phrase is not covered in our guide. Try using a synonymous phrase, such as "no more".

"This no longer exists" could be "Kav kiurnnon siken hepf", or in a direct translation, "No exists this more".

@Marmite

That's mostly because it's a conlang. There are literally no exceptions to the rules because we got to make the rules haha!
good morning o.o/ waking up to that many pings was a little frightening. I thought something exploded.

@Merethic

We are extremely liberal with our mashing together of words. There is unfortunately no set way we do this (basically "does it have a few letters of each word we want, minus the prepositions?" then, "is it at all pronounceable?" then, "is it decent looking?"), partially to help simulate the passage of time that happens in a real language, where words just evolve from other words with no real rules, and partially because we didn't even think to set up word-mashing guidelines. >.>

Here are some suggestions for you clan name (which is really cool, by the way): you could go with "Dawn of Dusk", "Lirecest Briscest gat", or "Sunrise of Sunset", "Sajem Kbujem gat" depending on which vocabulary you'd like to use. According to our language rules, the preposition 'of' should be at the end of that phrase, but if you wanted to take some liberties and place it in between the two words to make it look tidy and put together, I think that would be okay. If anyone asks, you might claim it is a Light Flight variant of common draconic. Or something.

@Kes

I would love to do a session with you! Just PM me whenever you're available. :) Currently, for myself, I'm mostly solid on the rules of grammar - its the memorization of the dictionary that's getting me. I know the pronouns, common verbs, and very common nouns very well. Translating doesn't take me too long. Also thank you for catching that guide error!!

@StarriannaFlare

We chose nature for spring because of the growth of.. nature in spring, we chose light for summer (I'll explain not fire in a second) because the daytime is long and the nights short in summer, we chose plague for autumn because plants almost 'die' in the fall, only to be brought back to life in spring (by the Gladekeeper), and we chose shadow for winter because the night is long and the days short in winter. (I just now realize that Llanai answered this, but I'm leaving it anyway.)

We decided not to go for the heat/cold approach because the temperatures vary so much in every flight region. How light and how dark a day is is mostly dependent on the sun cycle in Sornieth's solar system, so it was a neutral and consistent choice.

We haven't talked about months yet, but I really like the idea of using that kind of "rotting moon" system to name them. I think we'll steal it >.> And I actually have no clue about how we might name or number years. I'll have to have a big ol discussion with the team for that one.

@Moraglar

Thank you! Our number system is a huge work and progress and very, very messy at the moment (I kind of just want to overhaul it), but I think in the future things like numbered groups would go a long way in Ursegal.

I think we currently only have three cases. I'm not sure if we'll be adding any in the future. You might notice that we've decided not to add some major tenses (the perfects) that exist in other languages for simplification, and we might just leave the cases as is for simplification as well - unless the language or userbase demands it.

@bellzan

That phrase is not covered in our guide. Try using a synonymous phrase, such as "no more".

"This no longer exists" could be "Kav kiurnnon siken hepf", or in a direct translation, "No exists this more".

@Marmite

That's mostly because it's a conlang. There are literally no exceptions to the rules because we got to make the rules haha!
QQzuQIK.pngdF1rw1e.png
7I3clLF.pngWn7rTGB.png
sWI3AkK.pngXVIZS1P.png
I'm screaming I can't believe the effort of this holy fudge it's so impressive 10/10 need to learn this once I've finished learning Trigedasleng ("finished" at least kinda)
I'm screaming I can't believe the effort of this holy fudge it's so impressive 10/10 need to learn this once I've finished learning Trigedasleng ("finished" at least kinda)
mby23.gif • +9 FR, She/Her, all mirror clan (2 exceptions,,,,, *shakes fists at aberrations*)
• I collect Mossy Cerdae's (930) and Cerdae Sparkle (17.8k). (Updated 2022-08-28)
Fixing up my lair
Like 3 of mine, I like 10 of yours!
100.gif
@Vanshira I need to ping myself...this is too cool.
@Vanshira I need to ping myself...this is too cool.
Oblivion-Rising-Sig.png
An Elder Scrolls fandragon project
@Almaren Marking this! This is so cool - I might put it to some use!
@Almaren Marking this! This is so cool - I might put it to some use!
@Banjo Went ahead and moved this thread to the Creative Corner for you! :)

I really love seeing this project; my bf bought me the book the art of language invention and I love it! Sadly I haven't been able to devote much time to it because of my thesis. Hopefully during the summer I'll be able to do so though! And this thread will definitely be a great experience and inspiration ^^
@Banjo Went ahead and moved this thread to the Creative Corner for you! :)

I really love seeing this project; my bf bought me the book the art of language invention and I love it! Sadly I haven't been able to devote much time to it because of my thesis. Hopefully during the summer I'll be able to do so though! And this thread will definitely be a great experience and inspiration ^^
@Pachirisu @Aftershock @Hesper @QwertyBird @Surpirate @bakurabox @dreamtime @Phooka @Merethic @momoi @Kes @StarrianaFlare @logicalDiviner @Pieks @Whimzica @sh33pskin @bellzan @RottingFlesh @mnkn10

Sorry for using the pinglist so early on in the project. We've been moved into the creative corner, which is good and bad. Good because it's where we belong, but bad because every link we've sent out in the last day (including that one tumblr post) have been broken. Please spread the word, and if you've used one of our signatures, please use the updated codes. Sorry for the inconvenience. This is a big blow to our circulation efforts so any help would be appreciated.

We also now have our own channel on the FR Discord Chat! Practice your ursegal, ask for help, or just talk.
@Pachirisu @Aftershock @Hesper @QwertyBird @Surpirate @bakurabox @dreamtime @Phooka @Merethic @momoi @Kes @StarrianaFlare @logicalDiviner @Pieks @Whimzica @sh33pskin @bellzan @RottingFlesh @mnkn10

Sorry for using the pinglist so early on in the project. We've been moved into the creative corner, which is good and bad. Good because it's where we belong, but bad because every link we've sent out in the last day (including that one tumblr post) have been broken. Please spread the word, and if you've used one of our signatures, please use the updated codes. Sorry for the inconvenience. This is a big blow to our circulation efforts so any help would be appreciated.

We also now have our own channel on the FR Discord Chat! Practice your ursegal, ask for help, or just talk.
QQzuQIK.pngdF1rw1e.png
7I3clLF.pngWn7rTGB.png
sWI3AkK.pngXVIZS1P.png
Yoooo
Yoooo
E27J5Sp.png
J7D1quC.png
Zs4VhSn.pngbOjW1AX.png
UYR6vpC.pngHJLIYn4.png
3db916195a6b500e95d8fb9723ce4a95c285a701.gif
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 38 39