Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Day I Met Glade Mother
1 2
Written for Nature's February Dom push, posted here by request.
Quote:
The Day I Met Glade Mother

I sense her presence the moment I burst out of my shell and take my first breath. And in that same instant, like a far-off whisper, I know I am meant to go.

I spend hours with my elder-kin, learning to toughen my hide and sharpen my claws. My clanmates are kind, and as we bind the wounds earned from venturing into the Beastclans' territory, they tell me of a day when our clan, and all the other clans in the Viridian Forest, will pay tribute to Glade Mother. With a sidelong glance, they tell me many members of our clan will journey to live with her, serving her in whatever way we can.

And I am to be the first.

The day comes too quickly. I am roused in the darkness, told in murmurs that dawn is coming, and the time to leave is now. Working the stiffness from my wings and rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I feel my way to the entrance of the lair, where one of the clan's oldest dragons, silhouetted in the grey not-quite-morning, waits to bid me goodbye.

I may be the first, but I am not the last, I learn in those parting moments. New hatchlings and young dragons will be brought into the clan in the coming days, and those like me, the ones chosen for Glade Mother's service, will leave for the mountainous tree that lords over the center of the Viridian Forest.

If my elder sees the way my legs tremble and wings twitch, they don't mention it. There are a few words, encouragement and gratitude and a promise that I will not be forgotten.

Then, so quickly I barely realize it, I am on my way.

As I travel, I'm joined by others. Many, like me, have only recently reached adulthood, but I am surprised to see hatchlings as well, and enormous dragons whose scuffed scales and grizzled beards tell of long, interesting lives before they were sent to serve.

We move in knots, clanmates or siblings or lovers whose tails twine together in the budding dawn. There are parents with children, and battle-scarred warriors whose eyes dart among us, like they can't shake the feeling of constant combat. As for me, I find a clutch of others who come as the only representative of their clans. A hatchling clambers up to the space between my shoulders, sighs, and shivers itself into a restless sleep – lulled, I assume, by the rhythm of my heartbeat.

Our numbers grow, the closer we get to the Behemoth. By the time we reach it, the other trees shake with the sound of our wingbeats.

And it's there that She waits.

There's a moment of hushed terror. Because those whispered rumors? Those murmurs you hear on those dark, frigid nights?

The grandest of them does not even begin to do Her justice.

Each of Her rumbling breaths carries the sound of growing trees, and the flora that sprouts from Her shoulders and crown threaten to block out the sky. When Her eyes fall upon us, they resonate with a thousand heartbeats, and birdsong, and the promise of spring.

Even the proudest among us shrinks back. Our colors are dulled in the wake of Her glory, like stars blotted out by the sun.

But then, She smiles, and it's like the world is singing.

She calls the young ones first, those stumbling hatchlings who still glisten in their newborn skins. Her voice is rustling leaves on the wind and roots running underground, and the hatchlings whimper as they dance forward, a step backward for each forward one they take. The one that had nestled on my back lets out a shrill shriek, its eyes wide with equal parts terror and longing.

Don't be afraid, She says.

And just like that, we are not.

The words are meant for the little ones, but they wash over the rest of us, too. We all run to Her, then, laughing and taking flight to dart among Her branches. Flowers burst into being when She chuckles, and several of the hatchlings take it upon themselves to braid the blooms into the roots of Her beard.

We are many, those of us who came to Her this chilly morning. Our stories are varied as the flowers that now twine around Her ankles.

But right then, we realize it doesn't matter anymore. Right then, we know.

We have been Hers all along.
Written for Nature's February Dom push, posted here by request.
Quote:
The Day I Met Glade Mother

I sense her presence the moment I burst out of my shell and take my first breath. And in that same instant, like a far-off whisper, I know I am meant to go.

I spend hours with my elder-kin, learning to toughen my hide and sharpen my claws. My clanmates are kind, and as we bind the wounds earned from venturing into the Beastclans' territory, they tell me of a day when our clan, and all the other clans in the Viridian Forest, will pay tribute to Glade Mother. With a sidelong glance, they tell me many members of our clan will journey to live with her, serving her in whatever way we can.

And I am to be the first.

The day comes too quickly. I am roused in the darkness, told in murmurs that dawn is coming, and the time to leave is now. Working the stiffness from my wings and rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I feel my way to the entrance of the lair, where one of the clan's oldest dragons, silhouetted in the grey not-quite-morning, waits to bid me goodbye.

I may be the first, but I am not the last, I learn in those parting moments. New hatchlings and young dragons will be brought into the clan in the coming days, and those like me, the ones chosen for Glade Mother's service, will leave for the mountainous tree that lords over the center of the Viridian Forest.

If my elder sees the way my legs tremble and wings twitch, they don't mention it. There are a few words, encouragement and gratitude and a promise that I will not be forgotten.

Then, so quickly I barely realize it, I am on my way.

As I travel, I'm joined by others. Many, like me, have only recently reached adulthood, but I am surprised to see hatchlings as well, and enormous dragons whose scuffed scales and grizzled beards tell of long, interesting lives before they were sent to serve.

We move in knots, clanmates or siblings or lovers whose tails twine together in the budding dawn. There are parents with children, and battle-scarred warriors whose eyes dart among us, like they can't shake the feeling of constant combat. As for me, I find a clutch of others who come as the only representative of their clans. A hatchling clambers up to the space between my shoulders, sighs, and shivers itself into a restless sleep – lulled, I assume, by the rhythm of my heartbeat.

Our numbers grow, the closer we get to the Behemoth. By the time we reach it, the other trees shake with the sound of our wingbeats.

And it's there that She waits.

There's a moment of hushed terror. Because those whispered rumors? Those murmurs you hear on those dark, frigid nights?

The grandest of them does not even begin to do Her justice.

Each of Her rumbling breaths carries the sound of growing trees, and the flora that sprouts from Her shoulders and crown threaten to block out the sky. When Her eyes fall upon us, they resonate with a thousand heartbeats, and birdsong, and the promise of spring.

Even the proudest among us shrinks back. Our colors are dulled in the wake of Her glory, like stars blotted out by the sun.

But then, She smiles, and it's like the world is singing.

She calls the young ones first, those stumbling hatchlings who still glisten in their newborn skins. Her voice is rustling leaves on the wind and roots running underground, and the hatchlings whimper as they dance forward, a step backward for each forward one they take. The one that had nestled on my back lets out a shrill shriek, its eyes wide with equal parts terror and longing.

Don't be afraid, She says.

And just like that, we are not.

The words are meant for the little ones, but they wash over the rest of us, too. We all run to Her, then, laughing and taking flight to dart among Her branches. Flowers burst into being when She chuckles, and several of the hatchlings take it upon themselves to braid the blooms into the roots of Her beard.

We are many, those of us who came to Her this chilly morning. Our stories are varied as the flowers that now twine around Her ankles.

But right then, we realize it doesn't matter anymore. Right then, we know.

We have been Hers all along.
dcj86gi-007ee1fa-bdb3-408c-945c-1ec2fabbbe46.png
Thank you again for putting this here! Its so beautiful and well written and makes me feel better about exalting. :)
Thank you again for putting this here! Its so beautiful and well written and makes me feel better about exalting. :)
Gpasq5f.png
@zyanith this is so beautiful and sweet! I love it :'D
@zyanith this is so beautiful and sweet! I love it :'D
*quietly bumps because beauty* I loved this so much back in the Nature forum <3
*quietly bumps because beauty* I loved this so much back in the Nature forum <3
18.jpg
*quietly nudges to the front page again because new people are here*

I still think it would be cool for other flights to come up with their own exalt stories and share them, both in-flight and in general, both for the creativity factor and also to give new people an idea/canon of how it works for those who are a bit hesitant about exalting. Anyone game?
*quietly nudges to the front page again because new people are here*

I still think it would be cool for other flights to come up with their own exalt stories and share them, both in-flight and in general, both for the creativity factor and also to give new people an idea/canon of how it works for those who are a bit hesitant about exalting. Anyone game?
233223436&trans=1.jpg
Pet's name: Shining
[/url]
Friendly bump since we're pushing this week and I think the story is so sweet
Friendly bump since we're pushing this week and I think the story is so sweet
@Mutation
@Mutation
hhceN5m.png
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ♠I'm Quin!
♠ Any pronouns!
nnnnnnnnnnn
This is so sweet ;__; I'm not even in Nature but this makes me feel? Really warm?? Gladekeeper's equal parts nigh untouchable godliness and gentle motherliness is really [I'm not articulate right now but I juST REAlly love this]

Now I really want to read about what other flights think exaltation is like with their deity ;<;
This is so sweet ;__; I'm not even in Nature but this makes me feel? Really warm?? Gladekeeper's equal parts nigh untouchable godliness and gentle motherliness is really [I'm not articulate right now but I juST REAlly love this]

Now I really want to read about what other flights think exaltation is like with their deity ;<;
Tnhnf9i.png .. any pronoun | FR time +15/16
secretly always online
a1rYPJ5.png
#KulayRosasAngBukas
@Alxias THANK U FOR THE PING

Oh lord I want to narrate this; I read it out loud to myself already. Might work on that in the weekend...

@Zyanith Would you mind if I recorded this? I might end up not doing it after all, if my bronchitis acts up too much, but I thought I'd ask in advance. I could pay you in Treasure or Gems if you put a price on it?
@Alxias THANK U FOR THE PING

Oh lord I want to narrate this; I read it out loud to myself already. Might work on that in the weekend...

@Zyanith Would you mind if I recorded this? I might end up not doing it after all, if my bronchitis acts up too much, but I thought I'd ask in advance. I could pay you in Treasure or Gems if you put a price on it?
Darkdenizensv4simple.png84ruMI5.pngYrk2o3M.pnggekDtXY.pngDarkdenizensv4simple.png

FMA02Pn.png1603_150px_dokvganryuu_by_miirshroom_dcg815s_by_xzcelestialxbalaurzx-dcgicgg.png

locke.png

s9UvQy2.png bgwVYfC.pngAQiesuo.png wmhOuud.pngTIdHmed.pnggJ53DWo.pngIsTvVEx.pngfzjG4Xp.png

dokvganryuu_by_xzcelestialxbalaurzx-dc10pes.png
Wow! So touching...
Wow! So touching...
44303339972_bbca1c3340_o.gif button_cts.png512.1xOrd.bellzan_zpsoczvztar.png24990473472_c6b3e103bf_o.png
1 2