Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Naerea's Tale: A Flight Rising Story
1 2 3 4
[center][b][i][u]Naerea's Tale[/u][/i][/b][/center] [center]Written by Aquacoral[/center] Summary: The story of a Mirror dragon as she races against time to free herself from a curse cast upon her by the Plaguebringer when she was a young hatchling. Disclaimer: I do not own Flight Rising, however I do own the dragon Naerea. Many of the other characters are fictional, not actually in the Flight Rising game, or belong to @ShardofSun. Characters: Naerea, daughter of Ragki and Oriana [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13345488] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/133455/13345488_350.png[/img] [/url] Ragki (belongs to bigbear123456789) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12152635] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/121527/12152635_350.png[/img] [/url] Oriana (also belongs to bigbear123456789, but is known as 'unnamed'. I named her Oriana for the purposes of this story) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12152636] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/121527/12152636_350.png[/img] [/url] Zuri (belongs to ShardofSun) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13423395] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134234/13423395_350.png[/img] [/url] Dawn (Owner: ShardofSun) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13096082] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/130961/13096082_350.png[/img] [/url] Jassa (Owner: ShardofSun) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13203082] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/132031/13203082_350.png[/img] [/url] Rikuto (Owner: Me) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7559400] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/75595/7559400_350.png[/img] [/url] Gareki, son of Oriana and Ragki [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12304045] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/123041/12304045_350.png[/img] [/url] Kyras, adopted son of Oriana [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13493744] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134938/13493744_350.png[/img] [/url] Ieyu, daughter of Azuli [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13498242] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/134983/13498242_350.png[/img] [/url] Sitaris, assassin of Lady Plaguebringer I cannot get a picture; the Scrying Workshop hates me. Sorry. Other minor dragons, such as Mione and Illusi can be seen in my lair. As I go along, I will add more characters. The prologue, and possible a few other chapters, may be a little bloody. Not over the top, not at all, but if you really don't like blood/injuries in any form, this story may not be for you. Now, on with the show! [center][u]Prologue Fateful Day[/u] [/center] Jassa ran after Oriana, darting between the twisted trees that comprised the thickets of Tangled Wood. The shouts and screams of dragons sounded in the distance, made no less horrifying by the miles. “Oriana! Wait!” Jassa called to her friend frantically. She caught up to her as Oriana slowed to a stop and turned to her. “I know you are upset. Rakgi betrayed us all; but I can help you protect your eggs! You need me.” Jassa’s pink eyes never left Oriana’s as she spoke. “Jas, you have been a good friend to me. But I can’t put you in danger. This is something I must do on my own” Oriana said sadly, her words tinged with unimaginable sorrow. “If you need to find me; go to Leviathan Trench. I will hide there with my eggs until they hatch and the war over.” She took flight, her blue wings easily lifting her into the gray sky. Jassa took off after her, beating her brown wings in an attempt to catch up. A frantic roar of pain pierced the symphony of pain that blanketed the battlefield far below. Oriana twisted in the air, diving towards the center of the battle. Where she was going, a massive red dragon battled against a smaller black Mirror male. “Ragki!” Oriana howled, landing near her mate. “Oriana, go! Run!” Ragki shouted, dodging a slash from the red dragon he was battling. “Lady Plaguebringer, take me; just don’t harm my family” He shouted to his opponent. “You betrayed me, Ragki. For this, your family will pay the ultimate price!” Plaguebringer screamed, whipping a claw around and slashing the wing of Oriana. The Mirror screamed in pain as she clutched her torn wing and tumbled off the pile of corpses that the pair were battling on. “No!” Ragki shouted, fury and sorrow and anger dripping from his voice. “You will pay for this! Your quarrel is with me; not them!” “I will take my vengeance in whatever way hurts you most. I am a deity; a god. You are no match for me” Plaguebringer snarled. She dipped her claw behind the corpse of a Pearlcatcher, and brought out a black oval stone, slim purple lines winding their way across the surface. “Where did you get that?” Ragki breathed. Plaguebringer smirked, and raised a claw over it. “Please, no. Don’t harm it” He begged. “I beg of you; do not harm our child.” “Oh, don’t worry. I won’t kill it.” Plaguebringer moved her claw in a circle over the egg as thin cracks started to spread across the surface. The egg burst apart in her claw, and in the center sat a small black and purple Mirror hatchling. The tiny female yawned; tiny white teeth lining her small jaws, and slowly opened her four purple eyes. She stared around at the battlefield, drinking in her first glimpse of the world, as bloody as it was. Plaguebringer shifted, drawing the hatchling’s attention back to her. The little female squeaked a question; curiosity evident in her glossy eyes. “Hello,” Plaguebringer hissed. “What would you like to name her, Ragki?” “Her name- her name was to be Naerea” He said quietly, desperation evident in his eyes as he stared at his newborn daughter. “Well, Naerea. Welcome, to the Tangled Wood” As the red deity spoke, she started to move her claw in a spiral over the youngling, murmuring harsh, arcane words. The sky started to crackle with electricity, the gray clouds growing bloody red. A foul wind blew over the battlefield, heavy with the stench of rot and decay. Plaguebringer’s chanting grew louder until it was easily audible over the sounds of the rising wind. “…Islaku draur lifasit encarcera!” She drew a blue pearl from a pouch around her neck and held it to the chest of Naerea. Tiny Nae stared down at the pearl, which was steadily glowing brighter. Suddenly, a bright flash blinded everyone for a moment, and when the light cleared, Naerea was slumped in Plaguebringer’s claw. “What have you done to her!” Ragki and Oriana cried. “I have trapped the life-force of that tiny brat inside this pearl, along with her dormant power. When she grows to be an adult, I will find her, and slay her before your very eyes. That, Ragki, is your punishment. You will see your daughter grow, then die at my claw.” The red deity smirked, bloody glee evident in the maroon depths of her eyes. She vanished in a swirl of red smoke, and the limp form of Naerea fell to the ground alongside the still-glowing pearl. Oriana rushed forwards, cradling her tiny daughter in her claws. Jassa landed beside her, claws squelching in the mud as she looked at the sight of Oriana cradling her unconscious daughter and Ragki nowhere to be found. “What happened?” Jassa asked, rushing over to stand beside Oriana. “Plaguebringer… she punished Ragki by trapping Naerea’s life-force in this pearl.” Jassa gently picked the pearl out of the mud, not caring about the muck that clung to her purple scales. “Is this it?” “Yes. She intends to wait until Nae grows up then she will… kill her. In front of Ragki and I.” Tears leaked from Oriana’s eyes, glimmering in the cloudy light. “She’ll be okay. We just have to keep the pearl safe.” Jassa looked around at the battlefield, her pink eyes searching among the fallen dragons for the dark form of Ragki. He was nowhere in sight; having vanished again when his family needed him most. “Oriana, we have to go. We have to find a safe place, far away.” “But what about Ragki?” “He’s gone. If he wants to find you, he will. Come on!” With one last look around the battlefield, Oriana took flight, tiny Naerea clutched in her claws. As they wheeled over the plain, slowly gaining altitude, something whistled through the air and struck Jassa’s wing. She roared in pain, wobbling in the air. Far below, Oriana’s eyes picked out several Centaur archers. “It’s the Beastclans! Fly!” She shouted. More arrows flew around them. Oriana managed to evade all but one of the deadly shafts. It struck her right leg, ripping through flesh and muscle. She screamed, the leg weakening. Naerea slipped through her grasp, the tiny dragonet falling towards the ground far below. “Naerea!!!!” (^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^) Another thing: the Plaguebringer may seem a little evil in this story, because I happen not to like getting sick and am a little prejudiced. Please do not take offense; I just needed a 'villain' character for this. Another chapter will come tomorrow.
Naerea's Tale
Written by Aquacoral

Summary: The story of a Mirror dragon as she races against time to free herself from a curse cast upon her by the Plaguebringer when she was a young hatchling.

Disclaimer: I do not own Flight Rising, however I do own the dragon Naerea. Many of the other characters are fictional, not actually in the Flight Rising game, or belong to @ShardofSun.

Characters:

Naerea, daughter of Ragki and Oriana

13345488_350.png

Ragki (belongs to bigbear123456789)

12152635_350.png

Oriana (also belongs to bigbear123456789, but is known as 'unnamed'. I named her Oriana for the purposes of this story)

12152636_350.png

Zuri (belongs to ShardofSun)

13423395_350.png

Dawn (Owner: ShardofSun)

13096082_350.png

Jassa (Owner: ShardofSun)

13203082_350.png

Rikuto (Owner: Me)

7559400_350.png

Gareki, son of Oriana and Ragki

12304045_350.png

Kyras, adopted son of Oriana

13493744_350.png

Ieyu, daughter of Azuli

13498242_350.png

Sitaris, assassin of Lady Plaguebringer
I cannot get a picture; the Scrying Workshop hates me. Sorry.
Other minor dragons, such as Mione and Illusi can be seen in my lair. As I go along, I will add more characters. The prologue, and possible a few other chapters, may be a little bloody. Not over the top, not at all, but if you really don't like blood/injuries in any form, this story may not be for you.

Now, on with the show!
Prologue
Fateful Day
Jassa ran after Oriana, darting between the twisted trees that comprised the thickets of Tangled Wood. The shouts and screams of dragons sounded in the distance, made no less horrifying by the miles.
“Oriana! Wait!” Jassa called to her friend frantically. She caught up to her as Oriana slowed to a stop and turned to her. “I know you are upset. Rakgi betrayed us all; but I can help you protect your eggs! You need me.” Jassa’s pink eyes never left Oriana’s as she spoke.
“Jas, you have been a good friend to me. But I can’t put you in danger. This is something I must do on my own” Oriana said sadly, her words tinged with unimaginable sorrow. “If you need to find me; go to Leviathan Trench. I will hide there with my eggs until they hatch and the war over.”
She took flight, her blue wings easily lifting her into the gray sky. Jassa took off after her, beating her brown wings in an attempt to catch up. A frantic roar of pain pierced the symphony of pain that blanketed the battlefield far below. Oriana twisted in the air, diving towards the center of the battle.
Where she was going, a massive red dragon battled against a smaller black Mirror male. “Ragki!” Oriana howled, landing near her mate. “Oriana, go! Run!” Ragki shouted, dodging a slash from the red dragon he was battling. “Lady Plaguebringer, take me; just don’t harm my family” He shouted to his opponent.
“You betrayed me, Ragki. For this, your family will pay the ultimate price!” Plaguebringer screamed, whipping a claw around and slashing the wing of Oriana. The Mirror screamed in pain as she clutched her torn wing and tumbled off the pile of corpses that the pair were battling on.
“No!” Ragki shouted, fury and sorrow and anger dripping from his voice. “You will pay for this! Your quarrel is with me; not them!” “I will take my vengeance in whatever way hurts you most. I am a deity; a god. You are no match for me” Plaguebringer snarled. She dipped her claw behind the corpse of a Pearlcatcher, and brought out a black oval stone, slim purple lines winding their way across the surface.
“Where did you get that?” Ragki breathed. Plaguebringer smirked, and raised a claw over it. “Please, no. Don’t harm it” He begged. “I beg of you; do not harm our child.” “Oh, don’t worry. I won’t kill it.” Plaguebringer moved her claw in a circle over the egg as thin cracks started to spread across the surface.
The egg burst apart in her claw, and in the center sat a small black and purple Mirror hatchling. The tiny female yawned; tiny white teeth lining her small jaws, and slowly opened her four purple eyes.
She stared around at the battlefield, drinking in her first glimpse of the world, as bloody as it was. Plaguebringer shifted, drawing the hatchling’s attention back to her. The little female squeaked a question; curiosity evident in her glossy eyes.
“Hello,” Plaguebringer hissed. “What would you like to name her, Ragki?” “Her name- her name was to be Naerea” He said quietly, desperation evident in his eyes as he stared at his newborn daughter.
“Well, Naerea. Welcome, to the Tangled Wood” As the red deity spoke, she started to move her claw in a spiral over the youngling, murmuring harsh, arcane words. The sky started to crackle with electricity, the gray clouds growing bloody red.
A foul wind blew over the battlefield, heavy with the stench of rot and decay. Plaguebringer’s chanting grew louder until it was easily audible over the sounds of the rising wind. “…Islaku draur lifasit encarcera!”
She drew a blue pearl from a pouch around her neck and held it to the chest of Naerea. Tiny Nae stared down at the pearl, which was steadily glowing brighter. Suddenly, a bright flash blinded everyone for a moment, and when the light cleared, Naerea was slumped in Plaguebringer’s claw.
“What have you done to her!” Ragki and Oriana cried. “I have trapped the life-force of that tiny brat inside this pearl, along with her dormant power. When she grows to be an adult, I will find her, and slay her before your very eyes. That, Ragki, is your punishment. You will see your daughter grow, then die at my claw.”
The red deity smirked, bloody glee evident in the maroon depths of her eyes. She vanished in a swirl of red smoke, and the limp form of Naerea fell to the ground alongside the still-glowing pearl.
Oriana rushed forwards, cradling her tiny daughter in her claws. Jassa landed beside her, claws squelching in the mud as she looked at the sight of Oriana cradling her unconscious daughter and Ragki nowhere to be found.
“What happened?” Jassa asked, rushing over to stand beside Oriana. “Plaguebringer… she punished Ragki by trapping Naerea’s life-force in this pearl.” Jassa gently picked the pearl out of the mud, not caring about the muck that clung to her purple scales.
“Is this it?” “Yes. She intends to wait until Nae grows up then she will… kill her. In front of Ragki and I.” Tears leaked from Oriana’s eyes, glimmering in the cloudy light. “She’ll be okay. We just have to keep the pearl safe.” Jassa looked around at the battlefield, her pink eyes searching among the fallen dragons for the dark form of Ragki. He was nowhere in sight; having vanished again when his family needed him most.
“Oriana, we have to go. We have to find a safe place, far away.” “But what about Ragki?” “He’s gone. If he wants to find you, he will. Come on!”
With one last look around the battlefield, Oriana took flight, tiny Naerea clutched in her claws. As they wheeled over the plain, slowly gaining altitude, something whistled through the air and struck Jassa’s wing.
She roared in pain, wobbling in the air. Far below, Oriana’s eyes picked out several Centaur archers. “It’s the Beastclans! Fly!” She shouted. More arrows flew around them. Oriana managed to evade all but one of the deadly shafts. It struck her right leg, ripping through flesh and muscle. She screamed, the leg weakening.
Naerea slipped through her grasp, the tiny dragonet falling towards the ground far below. “Naerea!!!!”
(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)^(^)
Another thing: the Plaguebringer may seem a little evil in this story, because I happen not to like getting sick and am a little prejudiced. Please do not take offense; I just needed a 'villain' character for this.

Another chapter will come tomorrow.
2ECUufo.pnglYpSCN5.pngB56DTEe.png1gEpZ0H.pngBNLSVhl.png6FgVFSd.png
@Aquacoral oooo....I'm glad you're finally posting our story! *Gives you the death glare* you had better not get a thing wrong with Ieyu. She is my favorite dragon ever and nothing can change that, so her lore and connecting to Naerea is important.
@Aquacoral oooo....I'm glad you're finally posting our story! *Gives you the death glare* you had better not get a thing wrong with Ieyu. She is my favorite dragon ever and nothing can change that, so her lore and connecting to Naerea is important.
She/her -- +1 FR time --

On hiatus
LRdLP2V.png
bYt72YT.png
@ShardofSun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No spoilers!!!! Bad dragon! Bad dragon!
@ShardofSun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No spoilers!!!! Bad dragon! Bad dragon!
@Aquacoral ha ha. It's not like anyone can tell what's going to happen.
@Aquacoral ha ha. It's not like anyone can tell what's going to happen.
She/her -- +1 FR time --

On hiatus
LRdLP2V.png
bYt72YT.png
*Snorts angrily*
Fine. But you shouldn't have said anything about Ieyu.
*Snorts angrily*
Fine. But you shouldn't have said anything about Ieyu.
Chapter 1
Spiral Keep
Naerea watched the other hatchling playing below on the shore of one of the large tidepools that comprised their home of Tsunami Flats. She was partially concealed in a shadowed niche in the rough stone, preferring to observe the other hatchlings rather than join in their games. She had only become an adult a quarter moon-cycle ago, and had always been solitary, but her age only served to separate her from the other dragonets more. Not that she had ever been close to them in the first place. A long time ago, hastened by her lack of a real family, Nae had realized that knowledge was power. She used this to her advantage, earning herself a reputation as a sly, conniving, and untrustworthy dragon. The fact that she often used her knowledge of other dragons inner secrets to get what she wanted only strengthened that reputation. Below, a pink Wildclaw- Mione- glanced up at where Naerea was hidden; her purple eyes passing over Nae without seeing her. “Mione! Look out!” Brilliance shouted. His purple scales flashed in the light as he darted past her to tag the black and silver wing of Sidonia. Illusi jumped off a rock, running past gray and green Montur. Naerea spotted the white and green shape of Rikuto hurrying towards the edge of camp. She prowled down from her niche, a few pebbles falling onto the rocks below. With a leap, she landed on the flat expanse of yellowish stone, and started to lope over to the clan’s healer. “Hello Rikuto,” She greeted him, glossy purple eyes fixed disconcertingly on his red ones. “Naerea,” He acknowledged. “Where are you going?” “I was actually going to the Spiral Keep; to do some work.” “Could I come?” He hesitated. “Very well.” They walked to the edge of the Sea of a Thousand Currents, to a large spur of rock. Rikuto glanced around, then ducked behind a curtain of dried seaweed. “Follow me closely. It wouldn’t do for you to get lost down here.” They walked deep below the ocean, through a maze of rock tunnels worn by earthfire in the First Age, the only light coming from a Glowing Pocket Bauble around Rikuto’s neck. Finally, a glimmer of warm light lit up the tunnel ahead. They walked into a pearly white room; dozens of tunnels branching off. “Welcome to the Spiral Keep, Naerea,” Rikuto said before starting up a smooth ramp that would its way up the walls of the massive shell. Nae stared around for a moment, then moved after him. They trekked up inside the Keep, walking up and up, until they reached the top. Naerea looked up at the wide arch that led inside the room, marveling at the intricate symbols that decorated it. “Come along.” Rikuto walked into the room. She followed, skirting a perfectly circular pool of water in the center. Around the room, at varying heights, several shelves were mounted, carved of the same material as the walls. On said shelves sat bottles of odd substances, closed boxes formed of strange woods and stones, ornate jars which held multicolored powders and dried plants. She was drawn to the pool, kneeling down and reaching a single obsidian claw towards the smooth silver surface, marred by nary a ripple. Her lone talon had barely touched the water when a wave of power emanated from the pool. “What was that?” Rikuto had come up behind her. “The pool has never done that before.” “I- I don’t know. What’s that light?” Naerea became aware of a strange blue luminescence coming from a high shelf across from her as she spoke. “It’s coming from up there.” Rikuto moved over, reaching up on his hind legs to see what it was. “What are you doing?!” A monotone, yet distinctly female voice asked. Rikuto whipped around, setting a glowing shell box down on a lower shelf. “Dawn,” He greeted the other dragon; a pink Fae female. “Rikuto. Why did you bring a hatchling who is not your apprentice here?” “I was hoping to take her on as an apprentice, so I brought her here early; to test if she had what it took.” “You know the rules. Tidelord isn’t happy that you broke them.” As Rikuto and Dawn talked, Naerea picked up the glowing shell box. Carefully, she lifted the lid. Inside, on a cushion of blue cloth, sat a perfectly circular black orb about the size of a dragon scale. Winding across the smooth surface were delicate tendrils of purple. As she picked the orb, the lines started to glow. “What is this?” She breathed, half to herself and half to the other dragons. Dawn and Rikuto turned to look at her and their eyes widened. Naerea’s entire body was bathed in a purple light; tendrils of power swirled around her as she started to rise into the air. A small blue shape rocketed across the room, colliding with the purple bubble that surrounded Naerea. It was a young Tundra female. “Zuri, no!” Dawn shouted. The tendrils of power started to weave around Naerea faster and faster. The bubble exploded in a flash of light; the Tundra was thrown away, her fur scorched and bloody. Naerea fell to the floor, unconscious. “Zuri!” Dawn rushed over to her Tundra apprentice, praying to the Windsinger that she was alive.
''''''''''''''''''''
Okay, here's the next chapter. Please leave a comment, criticism, just a sign that someone is reading this.
Chapter 1
Spiral Keep
Naerea watched the other hatchling playing below on the shore of one of the large tidepools that comprised their home of Tsunami Flats. She was partially concealed in a shadowed niche in the rough stone, preferring to observe the other hatchlings rather than join in their games. She had only become an adult a quarter moon-cycle ago, and had always been solitary, but her age only served to separate her from the other dragonets more. Not that she had ever been close to them in the first place. A long time ago, hastened by her lack of a real family, Nae had realized that knowledge was power. She used this to her advantage, earning herself a reputation as a sly, conniving, and untrustworthy dragon. The fact that she often used her knowledge of other dragons inner secrets to get what she wanted only strengthened that reputation. Below, a pink Wildclaw- Mione- glanced up at where Naerea was hidden; her purple eyes passing over Nae without seeing her. “Mione! Look out!” Brilliance shouted. His purple scales flashed in the light as he darted past her to tag the black and silver wing of Sidonia. Illusi jumped off a rock, running past gray and green Montur. Naerea spotted the white and green shape of Rikuto hurrying towards the edge of camp. She prowled down from her niche, a few pebbles falling onto the rocks below. With a leap, she landed on the flat expanse of yellowish stone, and started to lope over to the clan’s healer. “Hello Rikuto,” She greeted him, glossy purple eyes fixed disconcertingly on his red ones. “Naerea,” He acknowledged. “Where are you going?” “I was actually going to the Spiral Keep; to do some work.” “Could I come?” He hesitated. “Very well.” They walked to the edge of the Sea of a Thousand Currents, to a large spur of rock. Rikuto glanced around, then ducked behind a curtain of dried seaweed. “Follow me closely. It wouldn’t do for you to get lost down here.” They walked deep below the ocean, through a maze of rock tunnels worn by earthfire in the First Age, the only light coming from a Glowing Pocket Bauble around Rikuto’s neck. Finally, a glimmer of warm light lit up the tunnel ahead. They walked into a pearly white room; dozens of tunnels branching off. “Welcome to the Spiral Keep, Naerea,” Rikuto said before starting up a smooth ramp that would its way up the walls of the massive shell. Nae stared around for a moment, then moved after him. They trekked up inside the Keep, walking up and up, until they reached the top. Naerea looked up at the wide arch that led inside the room, marveling at the intricate symbols that decorated it. “Come along.” Rikuto walked into the room. She followed, skirting a perfectly circular pool of water in the center. Around the room, at varying heights, several shelves were mounted, carved of the same material as the walls. On said shelves sat bottles of odd substances, closed boxes formed of strange woods and stones, ornate jars which held multicolored powders and dried plants. She was drawn to the pool, kneeling down and reaching a single obsidian claw towards the smooth silver surface, marred by nary a ripple. Her lone talon had barely touched the water when a wave of power emanated from the pool. “What was that?” Rikuto had come up behind her. “The pool has never done that before.” “I- I don’t know. What’s that light?” Naerea became aware of a strange blue luminescence coming from a high shelf across from her as she spoke. “It’s coming from up there.” Rikuto moved over, reaching up on his hind legs to see what it was. “What are you doing?!” A monotone, yet distinctly female voice asked. Rikuto whipped around, setting a glowing shell box down on a lower shelf. “Dawn,” He greeted the other dragon; a pink Fae female. “Rikuto. Why did you bring a hatchling who is not your apprentice here?” “I was hoping to take her on as an apprentice, so I brought her here early; to test if she had what it took.” “You know the rules. Tidelord isn’t happy that you broke them.” As Rikuto and Dawn talked, Naerea picked up the glowing shell box. Carefully, she lifted the lid. Inside, on a cushion of blue cloth, sat a perfectly circular black orb about the size of a dragon scale. Winding across the smooth surface were delicate tendrils of purple. As she picked the orb, the lines started to glow. “What is this?” She breathed, half to herself and half to the other dragons. Dawn and Rikuto turned to look at her and their eyes widened. Naerea’s entire body was bathed in a purple light; tendrils of power swirled around her as she started to rise into the air. A small blue shape rocketed across the room, colliding with the purple bubble that surrounded Naerea. It was a young Tundra female. “Zuri, no!” Dawn shouted. The tendrils of power started to weave around Naerea faster and faster. The bubble exploded in a flash of light; the Tundra was thrown away, her fur scorched and bloody. Naerea fell to the floor, unconscious. “Zuri!” Dawn rushed over to her Tundra apprentice, praying to the Windsinger that she was alive.
''''''''''''''''''''
Okay, here's the next chapter. Please leave a comment, criticism, just a sign that someone is reading this.
Here 'ya go. Please review!
'''''''''''''''''''''''''
Chapter 2
The Zephyr Steppes
“Zuri, can you hear me?” Dawn asked frantically, applying a sticky green paste to the burnt sections of fur and skin. Zuri’s eyelids fluttered, opening slowly. “What happened…. Is the Mirror okay?” She murmured. That’s my Zuri, Dawn thought. Always thinking of others before herself. “She’s fine,” the pink Fae reassured her, glancing over her shoulder to see Naerea sitting up slowly, a black claw pressed to her head. “You ran to help her; and the magic… rejected you.” Zuri winced as Dawn’s claw drifted to the side, accidently scraping one of her burns. “Sorry.” Dawn finished bandaging her wounds and stood. Rikuto helped Naerea up. “What was that?” Nae asked hazily. Rikuto didn’t answer, but motioned for Dawn to come over to the other side of the pool, away from Zuri and Naerea. “Dawn, do you have any idea what just happened?” He murmured softly, glancing over his shoulder towards his young Mirror charge. “I don’t know. Tidelord might, I could ask him with my gift. The only thing I know is that was great power.” Dawn followed his gaze and saw Zuri and Nae talking. “I say we take them to Windsinger. He might know, if Tidelord doesn’t.” Dawn moved away from his, hurrying out through the arch and down a tunnel. “Where is Dawn going?” Zuri asked. “She went to seek an audience with Tidelord. She will return soon,” Rikuto explained. Zuri seemed to accept this answer, and moved back to Naerea.

In another chamber a short ways away, Dawn stood at the edge of another pool of water, this one encompassing half of the room. “I seek an audience!” She called, a small conch shell slipping from her talons to land in the water with a plop. Ripples spread across the pool, splashing against the pearly sides. A large blue and green head slowly rose out of the water. “Dawn. Why do you seek an audience?” The voice of the Tidelord was deep and bubbly; similar to the sound of the tides. “I see an audience to learn what happened to the youngling Naerea.” “Naerea. Child of Ragki the Betrayer and Oriana. She has reclaimed the power that was taken from her ten years ago. You must be careful. Now that she is of age, and has reclaimed her power, Lady Plaguebringer will be out to take her revenge.” “Why? Why did Lady Plaguebringer trap her power in the first place?” “Her father, Ragki, betrayed Lady Plaguebringer. He warned the Shadowbinder of Lady Plaguebringers impending attack upon her lands. In revenge for this treacherous deed, Plaguebringer brought her armies to the Tangled Wood, where Ragki was living with his family at the time. It was simple misfortune that Lady Gladekeeper was there as well. During the battle between the forces of Nature and Plague, Ragki made an attempt to flee, but encountered Plaguebringer. They fought, but somehow Plaguebringer had captured one of Ragki’s eggs; Naerea’s. What happened exactly is unclear, known only to Oriana, Ragki, Lady Plaguebringer, and a Pearlcatcher known as Jassa. The one thing that is very clear is that Plaguebringer trapped Naerea’s life-force inside that stone so that when Naerea came of age she would be able to slay Naerea before the eyes of Ragki and Oriana.” “That you for telling me this, Tidelord.” Dawn hurried away, intent on finding Naerea, and taking her and Zuri to the Wind Flight camp to talk to Jassa. Tidelord looked after her, murmuring is his bubbling voice, “Often, when one attempts to cheat fate, what you attempt to avoid comes to pass...” With these words, he sank back into his watery home.

Naerea turned as Dawn returned. “Rikuto, Naerea, I would like to invite you to visit the Wind Flight camp,” The pink Fae said, casting a significant glance at Rikuto. “We would be honored,” Rikuto accepted before Naerea could speak.

Dawn led them through the maze of stone tunnels again, this time taking a different path. Occasionally, Naerea had to help Zuri when the Tundra’s wounds grew too strenuous for the rocky maze. Ahead, Nae spotted a gleam of bright light. They came out onto a windy plain; a wide expanse of tall grass stretched all the way to the horizon in three directions. Dawn led them across the plain and over a ridge. At the top, Naerea paused. Below her stretched a city of multicolored tents and stalls. Dragons of all species and elements meandered through the streets; other flew in and out carrying shipments of exotic items. It certainly wasn’t for nothing that the Wind Flight were known as the most well-traveled dragons in Sornieth. Rikuto was similarly stunned. Zuri and Dawn simply looked on their home with pride; obviously happy that the others admired their city. “Come along. I have someone I would like you to meet,” Dawn said, starting down the other side of the ridge.

Naerea stared around as Dawn led them towards the northern edge of the tent-city. A gray and yellow Snapper pushed past her, arguing with a green Spiral. Intoxicating smells wafted from food stalls and the pleasant tinkling of wind chimes and spirited babble fell pleasantly on Nae’s ears. “Who is this Jassa?” She asked Dawn, hurrying to catch up with the pink Fae. “She’s a friend. She can help us understand what happened with that stone,” The older dragon responded, glancing around at one of the many intersections, and announced, “We’re here.”

Jassa stepped out of her cave carved into the rock of a hillside not far outside of the tent-city, blinking at the bright light after being inside her dimmer cave. When her vision cleared, she stopped in surprise. A white and green pearlcatcher, a black and purple Mirror, a blue Tundra, and a familiar pink Fae stood outside. “Hello Dawn,” She greeted her old friend. “Please, come inside.” The group followed her into Jassa’s large cave home, Glowing Pocket Baubles illuminating the inside well. They sat on shelves cut into the stone and Jassa served them some tea in large shells. “So, what brings you to my humble abode?” Jas asked, sipping her drink. “First, I think you know this young lady. Jassa, meet Naerea,” Dawn said, a wry smile twisting her lips. Jassa’s pink eyes grew to the size of coins. “Naerea,” She breathed. “You are Naerea, daughter of Ragki and Oriana?” “She is,” Dawn confirmed. “Well, it’s very nice to meet you Naerea.” Jassa arranged her features into a less surprised expression. Nae nodded, confusion showing itself in her glossy purple eyes. “We came so that Nae could learn more about her family history,” The Fae explained. “Ah. You wish to know what happened during the battle.” “Yes.” Quickly, Naerea interjected, “What battle? What are you talking about?” Her voice deepened into a snarl. She had never liked secrets being kept from her. “I will explain everything,” Jassa said, setting her tea aside. She began, telling of Ragki’s betrayal and the battle that came to pass. “….I was with your mother that day, helping her to flee the battle with her eggs. We took off and I lost her. When I found her again, Ragki had battled Lady Plaguebringer and vanished. Oriana told me that as punishment for her mate’s betrayal, Plaguebringer had trapped the life-force of one of your mother’s eggs in a stone orb. When the hatchling came of age, Plaguebringer would find it and slay it before the eyes of its parents.” “I don’t see what this has to do with me,” Naerea stated. “It has everything to do with you, Naerea. You were the hatchling from the story; the one who was cursed to die at the claw of Lady Plaguebringer. This was the tale of your hatching.” Naerea’s face twisted into a look of confusion. “But… no. That couldn’t have been me; I was born in Water Flight and my mother died! I never knew my father! This can’t be possible!” Naerea stood suddenly and rushed out of the cave. Rikuto looked after her helplessly. He had come to care for the distant Mirror youngling in the time they had spent together. Zuri moved as if to go after her, but Jassa stopped her with a gentle claw on her shoulder. “Give her time; this is probably hard to process.”

Outside, Naerea stared out at the tent city, three thoughts running through her head. My father is a betrayer. My life-force is trapped inside that accursed stone. And I am to die by the claw of Lady Plaguebringer. The realization that the Plaguebringer was probably searching for her now, to kill her, was almost more than Naerea could stand. Death frightened her; the thought of passing into the void frightened her. To cease to exist… that would be the worst kind of Hell. A cool wind blew against her scales, and involuntarily she shuddered. Finally, she returned to the cave reluctantly where she would hear a truth that would shake her to her very core. Jassa spoke first when Nae walked in. “Naerea, your mother is alive. And I know where to find her.”
Here 'ya go. Please review!
'''''''''''''''''''''''''
Chapter 2
The Zephyr Steppes
“Zuri, can you hear me?” Dawn asked frantically, applying a sticky green paste to the burnt sections of fur and skin. Zuri’s eyelids fluttered, opening slowly. “What happened…. Is the Mirror okay?” She murmured. That’s my Zuri, Dawn thought. Always thinking of others before herself. “She’s fine,” the pink Fae reassured her, glancing over her shoulder to see Naerea sitting up slowly, a black claw pressed to her head. “You ran to help her; and the magic… rejected you.” Zuri winced as Dawn’s claw drifted to the side, accidently scraping one of her burns. “Sorry.” Dawn finished bandaging her wounds and stood. Rikuto helped Naerea up. “What was that?” Nae asked hazily. Rikuto didn’t answer, but motioned for Dawn to come over to the other side of the pool, away from Zuri and Naerea. “Dawn, do you have any idea what just happened?” He murmured softly, glancing over his shoulder towards his young Mirror charge. “I don’t know. Tidelord might, I could ask him with my gift. The only thing I know is that was great power.” Dawn followed his gaze and saw Zuri and Nae talking. “I say we take them to Windsinger. He might know, if Tidelord doesn’t.” Dawn moved away from his, hurrying out through the arch and down a tunnel. “Where is Dawn going?” Zuri asked. “She went to seek an audience with Tidelord. She will return soon,” Rikuto explained. Zuri seemed to accept this answer, and moved back to Naerea.

In another chamber a short ways away, Dawn stood at the edge of another pool of water, this one encompassing half of the room. “I seek an audience!” She called, a small conch shell slipping from her talons to land in the water with a plop. Ripples spread across the pool, splashing against the pearly sides. A large blue and green head slowly rose out of the water. “Dawn. Why do you seek an audience?” The voice of the Tidelord was deep and bubbly; similar to the sound of the tides. “I see an audience to learn what happened to the youngling Naerea.” “Naerea. Child of Ragki the Betrayer and Oriana. She has reclaimed the power that was taken from her ten years ago. You must be careful. Now that she is of age, and has reclaimed her power, Lady Plaguebringer will be out to take her revenge.” “Why? Why did Lady Plaguebringer trap her power in the first place?” “Her father, Ragki, betrayed Lady Plaguebringer. He warned the Shadowbinder of Lady Plaguebringers impending attack upon her lands. In revenge for this treacherous deed, Plaguebringer brought her armies to the Tangled Wood, where Ragki was living with his family at the time. It was simple misfortune that Lady Gladekeeper was there as well. During the battle between the forces of Nature and Plague, Ragki made an attempt to flee, but encountered Plaguebringer. They fought, but somehow Plaguebringer had captured one of Ragki’s eggs; Naerea’s. What happened exactly is unclear, known only to Oriana, Ragki, Lady Plaguebringer, and a Pearlcatcher known as Jassa. The one thing that is very clear is that Plaguebringer trapped Naerea’s life-force inside that stone so that when Naerea came of age she would be able to slay Naerea before the eyes of Ragki and Oriana.” “That you for telling me this, Tidelord.” Dawn hurried away, intent on finding Naerea, and taking her and Zuri to the Wind Flight camp to talk to Jassa. Tidelord looked after her, murmuring is his bubbling voice, “Often, when one attempts to cheat fate, what you attempt to avoid comes to pass...” With these words, he sank back into his watery home.

Naerea turned as Dawn returned. “Rikuto, Naerea, I would like to invite you to visit the Wind Flight camp,” The pink Fae said, casting a significant glance at Rikuto. “We would be honored,” Rikuto accepted before Naerea could speak.

Dawn led them through the maze of stone tunnels again, this time taking a different path. Occasionally, Naerea had to help Zuri when the Tundra’s wounds grew too strenuous for the rocky maze. Ahead, Nae spotted a gleam of bright light. They came out onto a windy plain; a wide expanse of tall grass stretched all the way to the horizon in three directions. Dawn led them across the plain and over a ridge. At the top, Naerea paused. Below her stretched a city of multicolored tents and stalls. Dragons of all species and elements meandered through the streets; other flew in and out carrying shipments of exotic items. It certainly wasn’t for nothing that the Wind Flight were known as the most well-traveled dragons in Sornieth. Rikuto was similarly stunned. Zuri and Dawn simply looked on their home with pride; obviously happy that the others admired their city. “Come along. I have someone I would like you to meet,” Dawn said, starting down the other side of the ridge.

Naerea stared around as Dawn led them towards the northern edge of the tent-city. A gray and yellow Snapper pushed past her, arguing with a green Spiral. Intoxicating smells wafted from food stalls and the pleasant tinkling of wind chimes and spirited babble fell pleasantly on Nae’s ears. “Who is this Jassa?” She asked Dawn, hurrying to catch up with the pink Fae. “She’s a friend. She can help us understand what happened with that stone,” The older dragon responded, glancing around at one of the many intersections, and announced, “We’re here.”

Jassa stepped out of her cave carved into the rock of a hillside not far outside of the tent-city, blinking at the bright light after being inside her dimmer cave. When her vision cleared, she stopped in surprise. A white and green pearlcatcher, a black and purple Mirror, a blue Tundra, and a familiar pink Fae stood outside. “Hello Dawn,” She greeted her old friend. “Please, come inside.” The group followed her into Jassa’s large cave home, Glowing Pocket Baubles illuminating the inside well. They sat on shelves cut into the stone and Jassa served them some tea in large shells. “So, what brings you to my humble abode?” Jas asked, sipping her drink. “First, I think you know this young lady. Jassa, meet Naerea,” Dawn said, a wry smile twisting her lips. Jassa’s pink eyes grew to the size of coins. “Naerea,” She breathed. “You are Naerea, daughter of Ragki and Oriana?” “She is,” Dawn confirmed. “Well, it’s very nice to meet you Naerea.” Jassa arranged her features into a less surprised expression. Nae nodded, confusion showing itself in her glossy purple eyes. “We came so that Nae could learn more about her family history,” The Fae explained. “Ah. You wish to know what happened during the battle.” “Yes.” Quickly, Naerea interjected, “What battle? What are you talking about?” Her voice deepened into a snarl. She had never liked secrets being kept from her. “I will explain everything,” Jassa said, setting her tea aside. She began, telling of Ragki’s betrayal and the battle that came to pass. “….I was with your mother that day, helping her to flee the battle with her eggs. We took off and I lost her. When I found her again, Ragki had battled Lady Plaguebringer and vanished. Oriana told me that as punishment for her mate’s betrayal, Plaguebringer had trapped the life-force of one of your mother’s eggs in a stone orb. When the hatchling came of age, Plaguebringer would find it and slay it before the eyes of its parents.” “I don’t see what this has to do with me,” Naerea stated. “It has everything to do with you, Naerea. You were the hatchling from the story; the one who was cursed to die at the claw of Lady Plaguebringer. This was the tale of your hatching.” Naerea’s face twisted into a look of confusion. “But… no. That couldn’t have been me; I was born in Water Flight and my mother died! I never knew my father! This can’t be possible!” Naerea stood suddenly and rushed out of the cave. Rikuto looked after her helplessly. He had come to care for the distant Mirror youngling in the time they had spent together. Zuri moved as if to go after her, but Jassa stopped her with a gentle claw on her shoulder. “Give her time; this is probably hard to process.”

Outside, Naerea stared out at the tent city, three thoughts running through her head. My father is a betrayer. My life-force is trapped inside that accursed stone. And I am to die by the claw of Lady Plaguebringer. The realization that the Plaguebringer was probably searching for her now, to kill her, was almost more than Naerea could stand. Death frightened her; the thought of passing into the void frightened her. To cease to exist… that would be the worst kind of Hell. A cool wind blew against her scales, and involuntarily she shuddered. Finally, she returned to the cave reluctantly where she would hear a truth that would shake her to her very core. Jassa spoke first when Nae walked in. “Naerea, your mother is alive. And I know where to find her.”
@Aquacoral it's a shame that no one seems to have seen this, so I'm bumping it for you.
@Aquacoral it's a shame that no one seems to have seen this, so I'm bumping it for you.
She/her -- +1 FR time --

On hiatus
LRdLP2V.png
bYt72YT.png
Thanks @ShardofSun
Thanks @ShardofSun
Chapter 3
Mother

Naerea stared out at the deep waters of the Sea of a Thousand Currents, pondering all that had happened since she went to Spiral Keep. After Jassa had told her that her mother was alive, they had embarked on an expedition to Leviathan Trench. For three days, they had searched the area, and supplies were starting to run out. If they didn’t find her mother today, they would have to give up. She gnawed on the last bit of dried fish that made up her midday meal; swallowing the hard, salty meat with some difficulty, took a Glowing Pocket Bauble in her mouth- the handy little things provided a breathable source of air for two hours as well as glowed-, and slipped back into the water. Beating her wings hard against the water, she swam deeper; followed by Dawn and Zuri. Rikuto had returned to Water Flight before they left Wind Flight. Delving deeper into the dim waters of Leviathan Trench, Nae motioned for her companions to follow her towards a dark sea cave worn into the side of the trench. An hour and a half, they only had one more cave left to check. Naerea prayed, to any deity that might listen, that her mother was there. Swimming into said sea cave, she poked her head out of the water. A blue and black Mirror female lay on the stone, blood slowly dripping from several gashes in her flesh. She lifted her head when Naerea slid out of the water, but let it fall back to the floor when her strength failed. Nae rushed over, cradling the Mirror’s head. “Who… are you,” The female whispered. “I’m Naerea. Dawn, get over here!” Nae called. Dawn hurried over, digging healing supplies out of her watertight pouch. “Naerea…” The Mirror breathed. “Are you… really… my daughter?” “Yes.” The younger Mirror busied herself in trying to staunch the flow of blood coming from a gash in her mother’s shoulder. “What did you do to her?!” An agitated voice said from the entrance. Naerea turned. “We didn’t do anything to her; we’re trying to help!” The other dragon- a Mirror that looked a lot like Oriana- scrambled out of the pool. “Mother?” He asked frantically, snatching bandages from Dawn and trying to bind up Oriana’s wounds. “What happened to her?” Even when he was trying to keep it from being accusing, it still came out that way. “Water… Flight..patrol. They… attacked me,” Oriana breathed. “Gareki… meet your… sister. Naerea.” The male- Gareki- looked at Naerea, stunned. “You… you are my sister. The one who was cursed?” “Yes. I was cursed by Plaguebringer. You’re my brother.” Against her valiant attempts, tears started to well up in Nae’s eyes. Oriana smiled weakly. “You… found… me.” “Yes. I found you. Both of you.” A tear dripped from the eye of Oriana’s daughter, landing on the wing of her mother. “Know that… I have… always loved…” Oriana’s breathing grew weaker. “…you.” With a quiet rush of air, she breathed her last. “No… No!” Naerea cried out, sobbing. Gareki wrapped a wing around her, giving silent comfort as his own tears trailed down his face. The siblings shared their anguish as Dawn and Zuri watched silently, not daring to make a sound. “Gareki? What happened to Mum?” A small voice asked. They turned to see a very small Coatl hatchling. “Mum?! Are you okay?! Mummy, wake up!” He cried, running over to Oriana’s body. “Gareki! What’s happening?! Stop it! Bring Mummy back!” He nudged Oriana’s body, tears streaming down his face. “Mummy?”

They all stood in silence for what seemed like forever until Gareki spoke. “She’s- she’s dead Kyras.” His voice was quiet and choked; Zuri could tell he was trying to be strong for the blue and purple hatchling. “No she’s not; she’s just asleep…. Isn’t she? Mummy’s just asleep….” The Coatl hatchling trailed off, realizing something. “Mummy!” He suddenly turned on Naerea. “What did you do to mummy?! Bring her back! One of you, bring her back!” He shrieked, crying harder. Naerea whispered, “We can’t bring her back. She-she.” Fresh tears streamed down her face as she choked out, “She’s dead.” “Kyras, come over here. We’ll bury her tomorrow, and- and find a new home.” Gareki’s words were solemn, final.

Kyras looked down at the body of his mother. The mother that had raised him, and loved him, and had never cared that he was a runt, or that he looked like a girl. She hadn't loved him for being a rare dragon, or hated him for being small. She had just loved him for who he was, and that was something that no other dragon had done. His own parents had been going to sell him off for being a runt. Oriana had done everything for him.
And she was gone.
"Why did Mummy have to die? I didn't even get to say goodbye......" Kyras whimpered. He turned to look at the strange new dragon. He noticed-with a twinge of envy, even through his sadness-that she was bigger than him, and looked like his mother. "Why are you crying? She isn't your Mummy! You're just a stranger!" He suddenly narrowed his eyes. "What did you do to her? Did you make Mummy die?!"

"No! No, I didn't hurt her. I would never hurt her. She is- was, my mother. As a hatchling, I was lost and raised by another clan. I've been searching for her; I just never thought it would end like this." Nae stared at the ground, unable to meet the accusing eyes of the young Coatl hatchling. "But she's my Mummy. Me and my brother's Mummy. I would know you if you were my sister. I don't have a sister." Kyras said, using logic that wasn't there. "You did something to Mummy to make her leave me. I know it!" He shouted. He whirled around and ran out of the cave, pushing past two other-much bigger-hatchlings. He curled up at the edge of the water that led outside, and cried harder than he ever had before, even when his parents had abandoned him.

Naerea stared numbly after Kyras. Suddenly, she couldn't take it anymore. She shrugged Gareki's wing off her shoulder and ran towards the water. She passed the ball that was Kyras and dove into the water, swiftly vanishing from sight. She swam hard, faster than she had ever before. She arrowed past schools of fish; past fronds of kelp; past feathery branches of coral; until she spotted a dark opening in the edge of the trench. Swimming inside slowly, Nae surfaced and floated half in, half out of the water. Tears leaked down her face, joining with the pearls of seawater that were already on her scales. If she hadn't come; if she hadn't gone with Rikuto; if she hadn't opened that box. All the 'ifs' cycled through her mind wildly, repeating themselves over and over again. "I don't have a sister," "She's dead Kyras," "I would know if you were my sister." The accusing voices of Kyras and Gareki sounded in her brain.

Kyras poked his head out to see Naerea dive into the water. He watched her disappear, and then dove after her. He used his four wings to go faster, and he finally saw a flash of black. "Naerea? Are....You really my sister? My real sister?" He asked softly as he came into the air pocket. "I'm sorry for yelling at you....." Naerea turned her head to the side, away from Kyras. "I am your sister" She said softly. "For years, I thought I was unwanted by my real family. Now I know that I was lost; but when I found you again I lost mum. If I hadn't come, she might not have died." "I bet it's nice to have a REAL family." Kyras whispered. "My own Mummy and Daddy wanted to sell me off. I'm a runt. No dragon wants a runt." "Well, you still have Gareki" Naerea said softly. "I'm Naerea, by the way." "I’m Kyras. Gareki's my brother. I used to have two brothers, real brothers. But I ran away, because I was too scared to stay. I don't know what happened to them, because I was a coward." "You weren't a coward. You were scared, and protected yourself." "I didn't protect myself. Protecting myself would have been staying with my Mum and Dad and brothers. Being a coward meaning running away. I ran away. And I still haven't come back, because I'm still scared. Mum and Dad wouldn't want me back anyway. They hate me for being small." "You have Gareki, and me, if you want." "You have Gareki, and me, if you want." "I'm glad I do have you..." Kyras paused. "Do you want to go swimming?" He splashed Naerea with water and ducked under. Knowing that she was chasing him, he headed towards one of the many sea caves, and flung himself onto dry rock. Naerea followed after him.
"Who are you?" A voice asked. Kyras looked up.....And saw the most lovely Coatl imaginable.
She was iridescent blue, with shimmering navy and purple wings, a pale blue underbelly and her eyes were vibrant green. She was small, like him, and looked to be just a bit older.
Kyras loved her.

"Sure." Naerea slipped into the water after Kyras. She hauled herself out of the water and looked up at the sound of a musical voice. It was a pretty Coatl hatchling. "I am Naerea. This is Kyras. You are?" Nae responded to the Coatl female. "Ieyu. Now, please explain why you are here." Ieyu narrowed her brilliant green eyes. Her gaze darted to the other Coatl.
A runt. Like me....
"Churrturrbleeurrblecurrchrr." She chirped. The other Coatl-Kyras, the Mirror had said-snapped out of his daydreaming about something. Ieyu had no idea, but he HAD been giving her a dreamy look.
"Irrbleechrrchrrrhurrblefrrublee." Kyras replied. Ieyu nodded. "Surrbleechrrcurrchrrjurrblehrrbleechurr." She told him. "Vrrbleeejurrhrrbleechurrchurr?"
"Irrblehrrgrrrbleeurrblee."
"NrrbleyurrrcurrchurrchurrKyrasorrbleirrgrrbleeNaerea."
Naerea raised an eyebrow as Ieyu and Kyras started up a conversation in Coatl. Accursed chirping snake-dragons. Their overly cheerful, humming language made her head hurt. Kyras was obviously very taken with this new dragon.

"Urrblee.....IrrblechurrchrrcrrbleechurrNaereajurrbleedrfbleeOrianakbbleeRakgi?" Ieyu asked Kyras. "Trrbleerrr-yrrblee. Wurrbleeexxbleeirrorbleechrrcurchurr." Kyras glanced at Naerea. "Irrbleembleerrgurrbleeirrmebleechurhrrchur."
"Of course. It's rude to talk in our language when another type of dragon is around, churrhrglurrblle?" Ieyu chirped. "Now, hatchling of Oriana and Rakgi, why exactly are you here? I understand you went looking for Oriana, and Kyras made it rather clear that she is dead, but why are you HERE, in MY cave?" She asked. “We went swimming, and found this cave by accident,” Naerea explained cautiously. She didn’t trust this ‘Ieyu’. “Why are you living down here, instead of at the surface?” "Do you really think any clan would want me?” Ieyu laughed harshly. “No, the only thing I can do is hide. And besides, I am closer to Tidelord here. Tidelord is my life. I was connected to him from the beginning. That is why I came here. I heard him calling me. Telling me to join him...." Ieyu looked up sharply at Naerea, and growl-chirped-a strange sound. She hissed, and for a moment, she felt the power of the waves flowing through her. Her eyes flashed blue, and then returned to green, and the feeling of power ebbed away. Naerea narrowed her eyes suspiciously as Ieyu’s eyes faded back to green. She could sense that there was more to this youngling than met the eye, and silently resolved to watch her closely.
Ieyu glared at Naerea. "Anyway, enough of that. I want to know more about all of you." She said to Kyras sweetly. "Of course! I-" Ieyu let his words fade into the background, sometimes checking to see if it was time to land a comment or two or act like she was listening. She let the power of the waves surge through her, giving her life and energy. She could hear the waves crashing around her, feel the seaside breeze, smell the salt in the air, and enjoy the water lapping around her talons as they sank into the sand......Her eyes turned blue again, this time brighter and more vibrant, almost glowing, before she checked on Kyras again, and her eyes turned green again, the feels and sounds of the ocean fading away. "Oh, that's terrible!" She said sadly as Kyras said something about Lightning invading his home. "I hope you didn't get hurt." She let the talking fade back into the power of the ocean, her eyes turning blue. Kyras didn't see of course. And if Naerea did, then Ieyu could.....Deal with her.
Naerea glared at the other dragon as Ieyu's forest green eyes shifted to deep blue again. Once Kyras was finished talking, Nae interjected, "I've been living in a Water Flight Clan ever since they found me as a hatchling. Just today I discovered that Oriana was my mother and Kyras and Gareki my brothers." She absentmindedly fingered the amulet around her neck that contained her life-force. The lines across its surface pulsed and throbbed with a deep purple light as her talons ran across it.

Ieyu's eyes turned to look at the orb around Naerea's neck as she talked. She looked at it hungrily. It was the perfect way to control or even kill that accursed Mirror. Her eyes flashed bright blue for a moment as she thought about it. The sound of waves faded in and out of the background noise for a few seconds before her eyes became normal. "Of course, Kyras isn't your real brother, just adopted. Your line is......Pure." A pure family of all Mirrors. She could use them.....Or at least use Naerea. She would get. That. Orb.
"Ah," Naerea said stiffly. Kyras looked a little miffed at that, but quickly fell back under Ieyu’s spell. "Oh, we should probably go. Gareki will be looking for us, Naerea." Kyras said. "Can I come with you? We've just met, and I want to get to know you better." Ieyu interjected. "Of course you can come! Let's go!" Kyras said right away. Having a dragon that liked you was useful. Ieyu's eye flashed again, a deeper, duller blue, before returning once more. They couldn't leave by water. They couldn't find out. If she touched water, her connection with the power of the waves and Tidelord would go crazy. "I don't really like getting wet. I know a way out that's dry, if you want to use it." Ieyu told Kyras. "If that's how you want it." Ieyu saw Naerea opening her mouth, and gave her another death glare, her eyes returning to a brighter, stronger blue. "Sure. We'll take the land way," Naerea said through clenched teeth. She followed them through the rock tunnel, seething. That blue snake Ieyu had Kyras completely under her spell! Nae’s claws clenched around her amulet, a claw accidentally scratching the surface. She hissed as something scratched her. Looking down at her claw, she saw that there was a red line of blood across the surface. Oops. Better be careful with that.

Ieyu felt a blast of salty air hit her face as she emerged from the tunnel. She sighed blissfully, inhaling the scents of the sea. Her eyes lazily turned blue. They returned to green when she snapped back to attention. "I am sure you have to go now, even though I would love to talk more...." Ieyu said to Kyras in a well-faked sad voice. "We do have to go, but I don't think Gareki would mind if you stayed. Come on." Kyras told Ieyu quickly. He headed down the slope. "Oh.....There is one thing; We can only get to the cave by water..." Kyras said as they reached the beach. Ieyu paused. She might reveal her power if she got in the water, but if she wanted to keep Kyras on her side, she would have to make him happy. "Okay."

Kyras shot another dreamy glance at Ieyu. She....Was so.....Lovely.......

Ieyu's eyes turned brilliant blue as she slipped into the water. She regretfully pushed away the feeling of power that started creeping up on her, but her eyes still rapidly switched as she followed Kyras. She hoped Naerea wasn't watching her, but she was planning to kill her anyway, so it didn't matter as long as she didn't tell Kyras. The little Coatl was quite useful to have, and she didn't really want to kill him that much.
Naerea swam after Ieyu, trying desperately not to let her get ahead with Kyras. Swimming hard, she caught up to them, keeping one eye on Kyras at all times. Something was off about Ieyu, and Nae wasn’t about to lose one of her new-found brothers just yet.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
This is one of my longest chapters so far; the others will probably be shorter. Credit for the 'Coatl-speak' goes to my wonderful sister @ShardofSun
Chapter 3
Mother

Naerea stared out at the deep waters of the Sea of a Thousand Currents, pondering all that had happened since she went to Spiral Keep. After Jassa had told her that her mother was alive, they had embarked on an expedition to Leviathan Trench. For three days, they had searched the area, and supplies were starting to run out. If they didn’t find her mother today, they would have to give up. She gnawed on the last bit of dried fish that made up her midday meal; swallowing the hard, salty meat with some difficulty, took a Glowing Pocket Bauble in her mouth- the handy little things provided a breathable source of air for two hours as well as glowed-, and slipped back into the water. Beating her wings hard against the water, she swam deeper; followed by Dawn and Zuri. Rikuto had returned to Water Flight before they left Wind Flight. Delving deeper into the dim waters of Leviathan Trench, Nae motioned for her companions to follow her towards a dark sea cave worn into the side of the trench. An hour and a half, they only had one more cave left to check. Naerea prayed, to any deity that might listen, that her mother was there. Swimming into said sea cave, she poked her head out of the water. A blue and black Mirror female lay on the stone, blood slowly dripping from several gashes in her flesh. She lifted her head when Naerea slid out of the water, but let it fall back to the floor when her strength failed. Nae rushed over, cradling the Mirror’s head. “Who… are you,” The female whispered. “I’m Naerea. Dawn, get over here!” Nae called. Dawn hurried over, digging healing supplies out of her watertight pouch. “Naerea…” The Mirror breathed. “Are you… really… my daughter?” “Yes.” The younger Mirror busied herself in trying to staunch the flow of blood coming from a gash in her mother’s shoulder. “What did you do to her?!” An agitated voice said from the entrance. Naerea turned. “We didn’t do anything to her; we’re trying to help!” The other dragon- a Mirror that looked a lot like Oriana- scrambled out of the pool. “Mother?” He asked frantically, snatching bandages from Dawn and trying to bind up Oriana’s wounds. “What happened to her?” Even when he was trying to keep it from being accusing, it still came out that way. “Water… Flight..patrol. They… attacked me,” Oriana breathed. “Gareki… meet your… sister. Naerea.” The male- Gareki- looked at Naerea, stunned. “You… you are my sister. The one who was cursed?” “Yes. I was cursed by Plaguebringer. You’re my brother.” Against her valiant attempts, tears started to well up in Nae’s eyes. Oriana smiled weakly. “You… found… me.” “Yes. I found you. Both of you.” A tear dripped from the eye of Oriana’s daughter, landing on the wing of her mother. “Know that… I have… always loved…” Oriana’s breathing grew weaker. “…you.” With a quiet rush of air, she breathed her last. “No… No!” Naerea cried out, sobbing. Gareki wrapped a wing around her, giving silent comfort as his own tears trailed down his face. The siblings shared their anguish as Dawn and Zuri watched silently, not daring to make a sound. “Gareki? What happened to Mum?” A small voice asked. They turned to see a very small Coatl hatchling. “Mum?! Are you okay?! Mummy, wake up!” He cried, running over to Oriana’s body. “Gareki! What’s happening?! Stop it! Bring Mummy back!” He nudged Oriana’s body, tears streaming down his face. “Mummy?”

They all stood in silence for what seemed like forever until Gareki spoke. “She’s- she’s dead Kyras.” His voice was quiet and choked; Zuri could tell he was trying to be strong for the blue and purple hatchling. “No she’s not; she’s just asleep…. Isn’t she? Mummy’s just asleep….” The Coatl hatchling trailed off, realizing something. “Mummy!” He suddenly turned on Naerea. “What did you do to mummy?! Bring her back! One of you, bring her back!” He shrieked, crying harder. Naerea whispered, “We can’t bring her back. She-she.” Fresh tears streamed down her face as she choked out, “She’s dead.” “Kyras, come over here. We’ll bury her tomorrow, and- and find a new home.” Gareki’s words were solemn, final.

Kyras looked down at the body of his mother. The mother that had raised him, and loved him, and had never cared that he was a runt, or that he looked like a girl. She hadn't loved him for being a rare dragon, or hated him for being small. She had just loved him for who he was, and that was something that no other dragon had done. His own parents had been going to sell him off for being a runt. Oriana had done everything for him.
And she was gone.
"Why did Mummy have to die? I didn't even get to say goodbye......" Kyras whimpered. He turned to look at the strange new dragon. He noticed-with a twinge of envy, even through his sadness-that she was bigger than him, and looked like his mother. "Why are you crying? She isn't your Mummy! You're just a stranger!" He suddenly narrowed his eyes. "What did you do to her? Did you make Mummy die?!"

"No! No, I didn't hurt her. I would never hurt her. She is- was, my mother. As a hatchling, I was lost and raised by another clan. I've been searching for her; I just never thought it would end like this." Nae stared at the ground, unable to meet the accusing eyes of the young Coatl hatchling. "But she's my Mummy. Me and my brother's Mummy. I would know you if you were my sister. I don't have a sister." Kyras said, using logic that wasn't there. "You did something to Mummy to make her leave me. I know it!" He shouted. He whirled around and ran out of the cave, pushing past two other-much bigger-hatchlings. He curled up at the edge of the water that led outside, and cried harder than he ever had before, even when his parents had abandoned him.

Naerea stared numbly after Kyras. Suddenly, she couldn't take it anymore. She shrugged Gareki's wing off her shoulder and ran towards the water. She passed the ball that was Kyras and dove into the water, swiftly vanishing from sight. She swam hard, faster than she had ever before. She arrowed past schools of fish; past fronds of kelp; past feathery branches of coral; until she spotted a dark opening in the edge of the trench. Swimming inside slowly, Nae surfaced and floated half in, half out of the water. Tears leaked down her face, joining with the pearls of seawater that were already on her scales. If she hadn't come; if she hadn't gone with Rikuto; if she hadn't opened that box. All the 'ifs' cycled through her mind wildly, repeating themselves over and over again. "I don't have a sister," "She's dead Kyras," "I would know if you were my sister." The accusing voices of Kyras and Gareki sounded in her brain.

Kyras poked his head out to see Naerea dive into the water. He watched her disappear, and then dove after her. He used his four wings to go faster, and he finally saw a flash of black. "Naerea? Are....You really my sister? My real sister?" He asked softly as he came into the air pocket. "I'm sorry for yelling at you....." Naerea turned her head to the side, away from Kyras. "I am your sister" She said softly. "For years, I thought I was unwanted by my real family. Now I know that I was lost; but when I found you again I lost mum. If I hadn't come, she might not have died." "I bet it's nice to have a REAL family." Kyras whispered. "My own Mummy and Daddy wanted to sell me off. I'm a runt. No dragon wants a runt." "Well, you still have Gareki" Naerea said softly. "I'm Naerea, by the way." "I’m Kyras. Gareki's my brother. I used to have two brothers, real brothers. But I ran away, because I was too scared to stay. I don't know what happened to them, because I was a coward." "You weren't a coward. You were scared, and protected yourself." "I didn't protect myself. Protecting myself would have been staying with my Mum and Dad and brothers. Being a coward meaning running away. I ran away. And I still haven't come back, because I'm still scared. Mum and Dad wouldn't want me back anyway. They hate me for being small." "You have Gareki, and me, if you want." "You have Gareki, and me, if you want." "I'm glad I do have you..." Kyras paused. "Do you want to go swimming?" He splashed Naerea with water and ducked under. Knowing that she was chasing him, he headed towards one of the many sea caves, and flung himself onto dry rock. Naerea followed after him.
"Who are you?" A voice asked. Kyras looked up.....And saw the most lovely Coatl imaginable.
She was iridescent blue, with shimmering navy and purple wings, a pale blue underbelly and her eyes were vibrant green. She was small, like him, and looked to be just a bit older.
Kyras loved her.

"Sure." Naerea slipped into the water after Kyras. She hauled herself out of the water and looked up at the sound of a musical voice. It was a pretty Coatl hatchling. "I am Naerea. This is Kyras. You are?" Nae responded to the Coatl female. "Ieyu. Now, please explain why you are here." Ieyu narrowed her brilliant green eyes. Her gaze darted to the other Coatl.
A runt. Like me....
"Churrturrbleeurrblecurrchrr." She chirped. The other Coatl-Kyras, the Mirror had said-snapped out of his daydreaming about something. Ieyu had no idea, but he HAD been giving her a dreamy look.
"Irrbleechrrchrrrhurrblefrrublee." Kyras replied. Ieyu nodded. "Surrbleechrrcurrchrrjurrblehrrbleechurr." She told him. "Vrrbleeejurrhrrbleechurrchurr?"
"Irrblehrrgrrrbleeurrblee."
"NrrbleyurrrcurrchurrchurrKyrasorrbleirrgrrbleeNaerea."
Naerea raised an eyebrow as Ieyu and Kyras started up a conversation in Coatl. Accursed chirping snake-dragons. Their overly cheerful, humming language made her head hurt. Kyras was obviously very taken with this new dragon.

"Urrblee.....IrrblechurrchrrcrrbleechurrNaereajurrbleedrfbleeOrianakbbleeRakgi?" Ieyu asked Kyras. "Trrbleerrr-yrrblee. Wurrbleeexxbleeirrorbleechrrcurchurr." Kyras glanced at Naerea. "Irrbleembleerrgurrbleeirrmebleechurhrrchur."
"Of course. It's rude to talk in our language when another type of dragon is around, churrhrglurrblle?" Ieyu chirped. "Now, hatchling of Oriana and Rakgi, why exactly are you here? I understand you went looking for Oriana, and Kyras made it rather clear that she is dead, but why are you HERE, in MY cave?" She asked. “We went swimming, and found this cave by accident,” Naerea explained cautiously. She didn’t trust this ‘Ieyu’. “Why are you living down here, instead of at the surface?” "Do you really think any clan would want me?” Ieyu laughed harshly. “No, the only thing I can do is hide. And besides, I am closer to Tidelord here. Tidelord is my life. I was connected to him from the beginning. That is why I came here. I heard him calling me. Telling me to join him...." Ieyu looked up sharply at Naerea, and growl-chirped-a strange sound. She hissed, and for a moment, she felt the power of the waves flowing through her. Her eyes flashed blue, and then returned to green, and the feeling of power ebbed away. Naerea narrowed her eyes suspiciously as Ieyu’s eyes faded back to green. She could sense that there was more to this youngling than met the eye, and silently resolved to watch her closely.
Ieyu glared at Naerea. "Anyway, enough of that. I want to know more about all of you." She said to Kyras sweetly. "Of course! I-" Ieyu let his words fade into the background, sometimes checking to see if it was time to land a comment or two or act like she was listening. She let the power of the waves surge through her, giving her life and energy. She could hear the waves crashing around her, feel the seaside breeze, smell the salt in the air, and enjoy the water lapping around her talons as they sank into the sand......Her eyes turned blue again, this time brighter and more vibrant, almost glowing, before she checked on Kyras again, and her eyes turned green again, the feels and sounds of the ocean fading away. "Oh, that's terrible!" She said sadly as Kyras said something about Lightning invading his home. "I hope you didn't get hurt." She let the talking fade back into the power of the ocean, her eyes turning blue. Kyras didn't see of course. And if Naerea did, then Ieyu could.....Deal with her.
Naerea glared at the other dragon as Ieyu's forest green eyes shifted to deep blue again. Once Kyras was finished talking, Nae interjected, "I've been living in a Water Flight Clan ever since they found me as a hatchling. Just today I discovered that Oriana was my mother and Kyras and Gareki my brothers." She absentmindedly fingered the amulet around her neck that contained her life-force. The lines across its surface pulsed and throbbed with a deep purple light as her talons ran across it.

Ieyu's eyes turned to look at the orb around Naerea's neck as she talked. She looked at it hungrily. It was the perfect way to control or even kill that accursed Mirror. Her eyes flashed bright blue for a moment as she thought about it. The sound of waves faded in and out of the background noise for a few seconds before her eyes became normal. "Of course, Kyras isn't your real brother, just adopted. Your line is......Pure." A pure family of all Mirrors. She could use them.....Or at least use Naerea. She would get. That. Orb.
"Ah," Naerea said stiffly. Kyras looked a little miffed at that, but quickly fell back under Ieyu’s spell. "Oh, we should probably go. Gareki will be looking for us, Naerea." Kyras said. "Can I come with you? We've just met, and I want to get to know you better." Ieyu interjected. "Of course you can come! Let's go!" Kyras said right away. Having a dragon that liked you was useful. Ieyu's eye flashed again, a deeper, duller blue, before returning once more. They couldn't leave by water. They couldn't find out. If she touched water, her connection with the power of the waves and Tidelord would go crazy. "I don't really like getting wet. I know a way out that's dry, if you want to use it." Ieyu told Kyras. "If that's how you want it." Ieyu saw Naerea opening her mouth, and gave her another death glare, her eyes returning to a brighter, stronger blue. "Sure. We'll take the land way," Naerea said through clenched teeth. She followed them through the rock tunnel, seething. That blue snake Ieyu had Kyras completely under her spell! Nae’s claws clenched around her amulet, a claw accidentally scratching the surface. She hissed as something scratched her. Looking down at her claw, she saw that there was a red line of blood across the surface. Oops. Better be careful with that.

Ieyu felt a blast of salty air hit her face as she emerged from the tunnel. She sighed blissfully, inhaling the scents of the sea. Her eyes lazily turned blue. They returned to green when she snapped back to attention. "I am sure you have to go now, even though I would love to talk more...." Ieyu said to Kyras in a well-faked sad voice. "We do have to go, but I don't think Gareki would mind if you stayed. Come on." Kyras told Ieyu quickly. He headed down the slope. "Oh.....There is one thing; We can only get to the cave by water..." Kyras said as they reached the beach. Ieyu paused. She might reveal her power if she got in the water, but if she wanted to keep Kyras on her side, she would have to make him happy. "Okay."

Kyras shot another dreamy glance at Ieyu. She....Was so.....Lovely.......

Ieyu's eyes turned brilliant blue as she slipped into the water. She regretfully pushed away the feeling of power that started creeping up on her, but her eyes still rapidly switched as she followed Kyras. She hoped Naerea wasn't watching her, but she was planning to kill her anyway, so it didn't matter as long as she didn't tell Kyras. The little Coatl was quite useful to have, and she didn't really want to kill him that much.
Naerea swam after Ieyu, trying desperately not to let her get ahead with Kyras. Swimming hard, she caught up to them, keeping one eye on Kyras at all times. Something was off about Ieyu, and Nae wasn’t about to lose one of her new-found brothers just yet.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
This is one of my longest chapters so far; the others will probably be shorter. Credit for the 'Coatl-speak' goes to my wonderful sister @ShardofSun
1 2 3 4