Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Flight Rising Community
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18
Hello everyone,

We'd like to start out by saying we want to ensure that Flight Rising is a welcoming place for all races, cultures, religions, sexual indentities, gender identities and handicaps. We will not condone bigotry or hatred towards any group for any reason.

It came to our attention that Thrage made offensive comments on his personal facebook. While he has apologized for his comments, things that are said cannot be unsaid. We would like to make it very clear that these comments do not represent the views of Flight Rising. As such, he has opted to step down from his role as a site administrator. In addition, we have made contributions to the Epilepsy Foundation and Point Foundation.

Thrage's statements were harmful and hurtful. We therefore believe it is fair that he resign from his position of authority. Our players should never feel uncomfortable talking to an admin or bringing issues to staff attention. Thrage will be taking a leave of absence from the site. However, in the future he will return in a programming capacity to continue work on the coliseum and systems he created for Flight Rising, not as an administrator, and purely on the back end. @Undel, @Xhaztol, and myself will still be here to assist everyone and keep everyone informed of goings-on, so please do not be afraid to speak with us.

We wanted to be up-front about what is happening so there is no misinformation about who is working on the site, and in what capacity. If you decide you no longer wish to play Flight Rising due to this, that is something that we both respect and understand (although we will be sad to see you go!).

It is our highest hope that Thrage, and others, learn from this experience. If you were one of the people hurt by his comments, we encourage that you take him up on his offer to speak to him directly if you feel you have things he needs to hear. No good can come from situations like this unless people make an effort to talk with one another and learn from their mistakes. It is hard to do when you have been hurt, but it does not stop the cycle.

For our photosensitive friends:
Our games will always bear the photosensitive/epilepsy warning; however we will do our best to make our games as accessible to as many people as possible. Shock Switch Beta has been given a trial no-effects mode with the flashes and visual effects removed to better accomodate our sensitive players. (Warning: the blocks will move slowly upward, fall downward when their supporting structures have been removed, and swap position when you click them them. There is still movement in the game. If you begin to experience any of the symptoms of a seizure, immediately stop playing and consult a doctor.) In the Jigsaw revamp with larger working area and puzzle tray, Thrage has been working on a mid-tone background; the white background and dark puzzle pieces created issues for some users, and this change should help to make Jigsaw more accessible.

Thank you for playing our game.

Flight Rising Admin Team.
Hello everyone,

We'd like to start out by saying we want to ensure that Flight Rising is a welcoming place for all races, cultures, religions, sexual indentities, gender identities and handicaps. We will not condone bigotry or hatred towards any group for any reason.

It came to our attention that Thrage made offensive comments on his personal facebook. While he has apologized for his comments, things that are said cannot be unsaid. We would like to make it very clear that these comments do not represent the views of Flight Rising. As such, he has opted to step down from his role as a site administrator. In addition, we have made contributions to the Epilepsy Foundation and Point Foundation.

Thrage's statements were harmful and hurtful. We therefore believe it is fair that he resign from his position of authority. Our players should never feel uncomfortable talking to an admin or bringing issues to staff attention. Thrage will be taking a leave of absence from the site. However, in the future he will return in a programming capacity to continue work on the coliseum and systems he created for Flight Rising, not as an administrator, and purely on the back end. @Undel, @Xhaztol, and myself will still be here to assist everyone and keep everyone informed of goings-on, so please do not be afraid to speak with us.

We wanted to be up-front about what is happening so there is no misinformation about who is working on the site, and in what capacity. If you decide you no longer wish to play Flight Rising due to this, that is something that we both respect and understand (although we will be sad to see you go!).

It is our highest hope that Thrage, and others, learn from this experience. If you were one of the people hurt by his comments, we encourage that you take him up on his offer to speak to him directly if you feel you have things he needs to hear. No good can come from situations like this unless people make an effort to talk with one another and learn from their mistakes. It is hard to do when you have been hurt, but it does not stop the cycle.

For our photosensitive friends:
Our games will always bear the photosensitive/epilepsy warning; however we will do our best to make our games as accessible to as many people as possible. Shock Switch Beta has been given a trial no-effects mode with the flashes and visual effects removed to better accomodate our sensitive players. (Warning: the blocks will move slowly upward, fall downward when their supporting structures have been removed, and swap position when you click them them. There is still movement in the game. If you begin to experience any of the symptoms of a seizure, immediately stop playing and consult a doctor.) In the Jigsaw revamp with larger working area and puzzle tray, Thrage has been working on a mid-tone background; the white background and dark puzzle pieces created issues for some users, and this change should help to make Jigsaw more accessible.

Thank you for playing our game.

Flight Rising Admin Team.
Flight Rising Developer
Best Artist Not Allowed to Art | Business Ops | Engineering
I wanted to take a few moments to thank the admins for this. Mistakes happen, but our response to those mistakes shows the quality of our character. I have great respect for a person or group who admits to the wrongdoing, makes amends, then alters behavior for the future. As a member of the LGBT community I can state with certainty that this gives me more reason to play and be loyal, not less. Of course, I don't use Facebook so I don't know the exact content of the original messages, but I desired to show my appreciation for the administration's response in a public forum.
I wanted to take a few moments to thank the admins for this. Mistakes happen, but our response to those mistakes shows the quality of our character. I have great respect for a person or group who admits to the wrongdoing, makes amends, then alters behavior for the future. As a member of the LGBT community I can state with certainty that this gives me more reason to play and be loyal, not less. Of course, I don't use Facebook so I don't know the exact content of the original messages, but I desired to show my appreciation for the administration's response in a public forum.
i really appreciate that the admins have tried to take this seriously; i've been in a lot of other sites (as a player or as a staff member) where i knew there was no way i could call out transphobia, so i didn't try.

admittedly, i'm disappointed to hear thrage will be coming back to the site, but i still want to extend my thanks to the rest of staff for trying to handle this decently, and to the community for making me feel comfortable enough to voice my concerns in the first place.
i really appreciate that the admins have tried to take this seriously; i've been in a lot of other sites (as a player or as a staff member) where i knew there was no way i could call out transphobia, so i didn't try.

admittedly, i'm disappointed to hear thrage will be coming back to the site, but i still want to extend my thanks to the rest of staff for trying to handle this decently, and to the community for making me feel comfortable enough to voice my concerns in the first place.
I'm happy that he will still be working on the site. You've all made a good thing here, and i dont wanna see anything ruined, because of a disagreement. keep up the great work, team!
I'm happy that he will still be working on the site. You've all made a good thing here, and i dont wanna see anything ruined, because of a disagreement. keep up the great work, team!
tumblr_inline_mpprmsAp0K1qz4rgp.png
Well, I don't think I've ever been a part of a community so accommodating and genuinely caring. Thank you Akiri, Undel, Xhaztol, and Thrage.
Well, I don't think I've ever been a part of a community so accommodating and genuinely caring. Thank you Akiri, Undel, Xhaztol, and Thrage.
Thank you for this. Hopefully it will help to calm everyone down a bit.
Thank you for this. Hopefully it will help to calm everyone down a bit.
Haiji_Tenebris.png
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. But can I ask when the Fairgrounds will be fixed?
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. But can I ask when the Fairgrounds will be fixed?
SPDT1_zps48df29df.png
I appreciate your forthright honesty, the difficulty with so few admins in trying to sort this mess out, etcetera.

But what happened to his not being in ANY WAY associated with the site after his resignation, as per his own statements?

This is distressing and disappointing. You are still going to be paying his salary, he is still a contribution to the site, regardless of if he's lost his administrative status.

Being a part of the site in the way he is--and your allowing it--DOES NOT CHANGE THAT YOU VALIDATE HIS OPINIONS AND WHAT HE HAS DONE. It's completely unacceptable and I don't really know what else to say right now.
I appreciate your forthright honesty, the difficulty with so few admins in trying to sort this mess out, etcetera.

But what happened to his not being in ANY WAY associated with the site after his resignation, as per his own statements?

This is distressing and disappointing. You are still going to be paying his salary, he is still a contribution to the site, regardless of if he's lost his administrative status.

Being a part of the site in the way he is--and your allowing it--DOES NOT CHANGE THAT YOU VALIDATE HIS OPINIONS AND WHAT HE HAS DONE. It's completely unacceptable and I don't really know what else to say right now.
Gone for now. Can't fight this fight. I guess those calling me nasty names and saying I'm the insensitive, ignorant, cruel, demonising witch-hunter win.
I appreciate Thrage's maturity in stepping down post, and the admin's swift and appropriate response to the whole situation. Sorry this whole mess ever had to happen in the first place though, but I'm happy about the clean up going so well.
I appreciate Thrage's maturity in stepping down post, and the admin's swift and appropriate response to the whole situation. Sorry this whole mess ever had to happen in the first place though, but I'm happy about the clean up going so well.
JVuD44t.png
Thrage drama aside, I am honestly impressed with the conduct of the other admins. All the site problems and things piling up that need to be done on top of this drama, no matter what "side" you are on, it's clear to everyone that the admins have handled this in an admirable fashion. I appreciate their transparency in this and everything else thus far.
Thrage drama aside, I am honestly impressed with the conduct of the other admins. All the site problems and things piling up that need to be done on top of this drama, no matter what "side" you are on, it's clear to everyone that the admins have handled this in an admirable fashion. I appreciate their transparency in this and everything else thus far.
ixeclKz.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18