Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Steampunk Refresh
1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 62 63
Niiice! They all look great. Thank you! c:
Niiice! They all look great. Thank you! c:
[quote name="Onceler" date="2019-09-07 14:05:22" ] [quote name="@LividBlood" date="2019-09-07 13:59:08" ] I feel like I'm one the only people that actually dislikes this new look...the old one looked perfectly fine to me, I dont see why it needed a change, and maybe its just me but the lack of shading gives them a quite jarring look I understand wanting to update it since parts of the older wings did look odd on the newer dragons buuut that didn't warrant an entire revamp the deigns looked fine before. [/quote] A lot of people dislike it, because it went so far from the original design and changed aspects, and especially in this set's context making stuff flat, edged and new looking, removing tarnish and muted tones, and removing details like stitching lines and detailed gears/metal panels is kind of removing the entire point of the aesthetic of Steampunk. I haven't much touched into this before, but Steampunk is supposed to look handmade from old 'overly' detailed materials, not factory made new shine. [/quote] That's another thing that bothers me. The old way struck me as very old tech--you can see the stitching, you can see the patched and mismatched layers, it's a bit chunky and dingy, the bits and bobs looked less perfect, and the metal plating on the vests was a [i]big[/i] draw--can't believe how the white vest looks now, ugh. The fabric looked old, the metal looked old, the style looked old. Now it's very... hmm. How do I put this? It went from [i]steampunk[/i] to [i]iSteampunk.[/i] Edit: Just noticed that the wings don't potentially plug into the body anymore. That was a big quirk of it that I used to love and it fed a lot into my HC for my cyborg type dragons. :(
Onceler wrote on 2019-09-07 14:05:22:
@LividBlood wrote on 2019-09-07 13:59:08:
I feel like I'm one the only people that actually dislikes this new look...the old one looked perfectly fine to me, I dont see why it needed a change, and maybe its just me but the lack of shading gives them a quite jarring look I understand wanting to update it since parts of the older wings did look odd on the newer dragons buuut that didn't warrant an entire revamp the deigns looked fine before.

A lot of people dislike it, because it went so far from the original design and changed aspects, and especially in this set's context making stuff flat, edged and new looking, removing tarnish and muted tones, and removing details like stitching lines and detailed gears/metal panels is kind of removing the entire point of the aesthetic of Steampunk.
I haven't much touched into this before, but Steampunk is supposed to look handmade from old 'overly' detailed materials, not factory made new shine.

That's another thing that bothers me. The old way struck me as very old tech--you can see the stitching, you can see the patched and mismatched layers, it's a bit chunky and dingy, the bits and bobs looked less perfect, and the metal plating on the vests was a big draw--can't believe how the white vest looks now, ugh. The fabric looked old, the metal looked old, the style looked old. Now it's very... hmm. How do I put this? It went from steampunk to iSteampunk.

Edit: Just noticed that the wings don't potentially plug into the body anymore. That was a big quirk of it that I used to love and it fed a lot into my HC for my cyborg type dragons. :(
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
I do agree that there are some clipping problems and they most certainly need to be addressed as bugs and will hopefully get fixed. However, all the people complaining about the design come down to literally just personal opinions. The art has been upgraded, not downgraded, the artstyle in general is more fluent and more solid than the previous one. Yes, it looks flat which is a flaw and a fact, it should be used as constructive criticism to let the Staff know to perform better in the future. Personal taste, though, does not come ahead of facts. I am very sorry to hear that this update hecked up some people's dragons when it comes to wings but do understand that this site's art keeps being updated to match other sets more closely, the Steampunk sets have been outdated for quite some time.

Constructive criticism is very important but posting personal opinions really does not help much here if you're gonna use your opinions to criticise art. Just please give it a few days and try out new outfits. If anything, colour and style consistency with everything except wings has been phenomenal.

I sure am looking forward to the Egyptian sets revamp. Please give us kilts then
I do agree that there are some clipping problems and they most certainly need to be addressed as bugs and will hopefully get fixed. However, all the people complaining about the design come down to literally just personal opinions. The art has been upgraded, not downgraded, the artstyle in general is more fluent and more solid than the previous one. Yes, it looks flat which is a flaw and a fact, it should be used as constructive criticism to let the Staff know to perform better in the future. Personal taste, though, does not come ahead of facts. I am very sorry to hear that this update hecked up some people's dragons when it comes to wings but do understand that this site's art keeps being updated to match other sets more closely, the Steampunk sets have been outdated for quite some time.

Constructive criticism is very important but posting personal opinions really does not help much here if you're gonna use your opinions to criticise art. Just please give it a few days and try out new outfits. If anything, colour and style consistency with everything except wings has been phenomenal.

I sure am looking forward to the Egyptian sets revamp. Please give us kilts then
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
@Onceler
ah then maybe there is more that also dislike it, when I wrote my comment I mainly saw people saying nothing but praise and niceness and I was like howwww???

old set was superior, I'm still confused was to why the FR staff felt the need to change it did people want this chnage to be made? I don't keep up to date with this stuff, but to me it wouldn't have that much of an issue if it didn't look like you said newer looking and way to flat and honestly the art looks half finished.. and the new set to me tbh looks like it was more made out of plastic then metal.
@Onceler
ah then maybe there is more that also dislike it, when I wrote my comment I mainly saw people saying nothing but praise and niceness and I was like howwww???

old set was superior, I'm still confused was to why the FR staff felt the need to change it did people want this chnage to be made? I don't keep up to date with this stuff, but to me it wouldn't have that much of an issue if it didn't look like you said newer looking and way to flat and honestly the art looks half finished.. and the new set to me tbh looks like it was more made out of plastic then metal.
Oooo I love the tin steampunk!
Oooo I love the tin steampunk!
[quote name="TehuMertt" date="2019-09-07 14:14:53" ] I do agree that there are some clipping problems and they most certainly need to be addressed as bugs and will hopefully get fixed. However, all the people complaining about the design come down to literally just personal opinions. The art has been upgraded, not downgraded, the artstyle in general is more fluent and more solid than the previous one. Yes, it looks flat which is a flaw and a fact, it should be used as constructive criticism to let the Staff know to perform better in the future. Personal taste, though, does not come ahead of facts. I am very sorry to hear that this update hecked up some people's dragons when it comes to wings but do understand that this site's art keeps being updated to match other sets more closely, the Steampunk sets have been outdated for quite some time. Constructive criticism is very important but posting personal opinions really does not help much here if you're gonna use your opinions to criticise art. Just please give it a few days and try out new outfits. If anything, colour and style consistency with everything except wings has been phenomenal. I sure am looking forward to the Egyptian sets revamp. Please give us kilts then [/quote] you can revamp art to match an updated artstyle without completely changing the entire look and design of the thing. and considering this entire site would not exist without its userbase, maybe it would be a little smart to ask that userbase for their general opinion on something before completely changing it under their noses with little regard for how that userbase might feel about it. Personal taste [i]is[/i] important when your site relies on keeping those people with those personal tastes around, believe it or not.
TehuMertt wrote on 2019-09-07 14:14:53:

you can revamp art to match an updated artstyle without completely changing the entire look and design of the thing. and considering this entire site would not exist without its userbase, maybe it would be a little smart to ask that userbase for their general opinion on something before completely changing it under their noses with little regard for how that userbase might feel about it. Personal taste is important when your site relies on keeping those people with those personal tastes around, believe it or not.
[quote name="Lams4Life" date="2019-09-07 13:59:44" ] [font=trebuchet ms] from this [img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/0/0e/Gold_steampunk_wings_pearl_m.png[/img] to this [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=4&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=432&xt=dressing.png[/img] [size=7][b]w h y d o e s i t c o v e r t h e t a i l[/size] [/quote] THIS ANNOYS ME SO MUCH AHHHH [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/apparel?breed=8&gender=&itemid=433&auth=d9b5226ab10a35a261b022d0c26a0e45094ae630&dummyext=prev.png[/img] please get this fixed, it just looks wrong
Lams4Life wrote on 2019-09-07 13:59:44:

from this
Gold_steampunk_wings_pearl_m.png
to this
dummy?breed=4&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=432&xt=dressing.png

w h y d o e s i t c o v e r t h e t a i l

THIS ANNOYS ME SO MUCH AHHHH
apparel?breed=8&gender=&itemid=433&auth=d9b5226ab10a35a261b022d0c26a0e45094ae630&dummyext=prev.png

please get this fixed, it just looks wrong
WIhgWqV.pngyeetWr77RAu.png

yeet
you
see
mE
wHy

yeet hYZxkBA.gif
Oh no the plates of the wing piece on Ridgebacks got shorter. D: Oh well, it's nice to get improved art on the steampunk stuff. Just wish they didn't alter the length of the plates on the wing piece so much...
Oh no the plates of the wing piece on Ridgebacks got shorter. D: Oh well, it's nice to get improved art on the steampunk stuff. Just wish they didn't alter the length of the plates on the wing piece so much...
zp1xBoR.png
Seeing many comments wondering why FR staff didn't at least warn us about the change, now I'm wondering why we didn't get to vote like when they re-vamped the ribbons. Enough of the steampunk set has changed drastically enough that voting would have been good for this too. Why no vote this time [emoji=coatl confused size=1]
Seeing many comments wondering why FR staff didn't at least warn us about the change, now I'm wondering why we didn't get to vote like when they re-vamped the ribbons. Enough of the steampunk set has changed drastically enough that voting would have been good for this too.

Why no vote this time
I like the the update, but the more I read this thread and people’s complaints, I feel bad for them since there’s many people who clearly spent hours and hours perfecting their dragons’ looks only to have it unexpectedly disrupted like this. Especially with the clipping errors, disproportions and consistency issues.

I’m no game designer or game artist, but there is a whole team behind this stuff, kinda surprising a lot was missed.

Sorry to the artists/teams getting this heat right now, and sorry to those who feel their dragons/lore/art are ruined by this.
I like the the update, but the more I read this thread and people’s complaints, I feel bad for them since there’s many people who clearly spent hours and hours perfecting their dragons’ looks only to have it unexpectedly disrupted like this. Especially with the clipping errors, disproportions and consistency issues.

I’m no game designer or game artist, but there is a whole team behind this stuff, kinda surprising a lot was missed.

Sorry to the artists/teams getting this heat right now, and sorry to those who feel their dragons/lore/art are ruined by this.
Untitled_Artwork.png
1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 62 63