Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Reward Delivery Changes
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
[quote name="@Katastrophiq" date="2019-05-09 14:57:38" ] As earlier stated, this is the route they took. And so long as some adjustments are made to keep it fair for everyone who actively plays the game, [/quote] That's exactly it. I think it is fair for everyone who [b]actively[/b] plays. Sure unexpected stuff happens, but FR can hardly cater to every possible (and uncommon) contingency, such as the aversion to certain eye types or the fact that someone who's active might miss out on a special item because they can't log in. I agree with staff's spirit behind this, which was stated in the announcement, even if it means I miss something because I didn't log in. Which leads to this: [quote name="Katastrophiq" date="2019-05-09 14:57:38" ] And besides, no one should have to plan real life around a social media pet site, no matter how endearing, addicting, etc. the site can be. [/quote] I've said before that it's a game. The healthy balance with not planning real life around it is also not stressing about what's missed. All in all, I think, just as you said, that "it takes time for the populace to adjust." Just like with the eyes and lair revamp, some people will hate it, others will love it, and eventually everyone will get used to it and figure out how to make it work for them.
@Katastrophiq wrote on 2019-05-09 14:57:38:
As earlier stated, this is the route they took. And so long as some adjustments are made to keep it fair for everyone who actively plays the game,

That's exactly it. I think it is fair for everyone who actively plays. Sure unexpected stuff happens, but FR can hardly cater to every possible (and uncommon) contingency, such as the aversion to certain eye types or the fact that someone who's active might miss out on a special item because they can't log in. I agree with staff's spirit behind this, which was stated in the announcement, even if it means I miss something because I didn't log in.

Which leads to this:
Katastrophiq wrote on 2019-05-09 14:57:38:
And besides, no one should have to plan real life around a social media pet site, no matter how endearing, addicting, etc. the site can be.

I've said before that it's a game. The healthy balance with not planning real life around it is also not stressing about what's missed.

All in all, I think, just as you said, that "it takes time for the populace to adjust." Just like with the eyes and lair revamp, some people will hate it, others will love it, and eventually everyone will get used to it and figure out how to make it work for them.

lGriifT.png
[quote name="@SteamPunker777" date="2019-05-09 15:15:44" ] so im a little confused. so is this where we can buy limited event items (like past famillars or apparel) or is this only where if you win it, it goes to Galore? [/quote] This is where you'll go during, say, the Anniversary event or April Fools, and pick up your gift instead of just finding it in your hoard. You will not get past items from this.
@SteamPunker777 wrote on 2019-05-09 15:15:44:
so im a little confused. so is this where we can buy limited event items (like past famillars or apparel) or is this only where if you win it, it goes to Galore?

This is where you'll go during, say, the Anniversary event or April Fools, and pick up your gift instead of just finding it in your hoard. You will not get past items from this.
lGriifT.png
[quote name="@SteamPunker777" date="2019-05-09 15:15:44" ] so im a little confused. so is this where we can buy limited event items (like past famillars or apparel) or is this only where if you win it, it goes to Galore? [/quote] [color=15478b]If I am understanding correctly, Galore will be a place to 'pick up' free gifts when they are released; past events would send the items directly into player's accounts, and that caused strain on the server - Galore is a solution to this problem.[/color]
@SteamPunker777 wrote on 2019-05-09 15:15:44:
so im a little confused. so is this where we can buy limited event items (like past famillars or apparel) or is this only where if you win it, it goes to Galore?

If I am understanding correctly, Galore will be a place to 'pick up' free gifts when they are released; past events would send the items directly into player's accounts, and that caused strain on the server - Galore is a solution to this problem.
frostbite_by_worryingsquarewave-d8a2x4y.gif
What a great idea! Galore's design is very nice as well.
What a great idea! Galore's design is very nice as well.
n2PHQa3.png
I like this solution, and I really like the artwork of galore! [emoji=guardian happy size=2] [emoji=treasure size=1]
I like this solution, and I really like the artwork of galore!
dlJsEIj.png
galore looks gorgeous! i'm excited to see more about them.

personally i've got no problem with something like this. the idea of missing out on an item because you didn't log on at the right time is just a fact of life when it comes to browser games/games in general.
galore looks gorgeous! i'm excited to see more about them.

personally i've got no problem with something like this. the idea of missing out on an item because you didn't log on at the right time is just a fact of life when it comes to browser games/games in general.
@Stormhawke The other fellow already mentioned it. But as far as coding goes, it's a lot more complicated to go:

> write actions for a page
> Save on server storage,

> design art for page,
> Pay artist, spend time doing revisions instead of fixing apparel or genes

> create art for that page
> Save in server storage,

> load it with the gift item, store image of gift item with correct path to lead to Galore,
>Saved in server

> bugtest to ensure that only 1 copy is sent per account per item,
> Pay coder to test, fix and retest, fix and test, and test again.
>Give to sandbox admins to test in "live" play.
> Fix any bugs caused by accidentally clicking on a mismapped action area, whatever...

> Add a wide time frame for this page to be active. April 1-8th, then deactivate and disappear?.
>Save in server

> Implement timer to count to next date of appearance, with server storage.
>Save in server, with notices to alert of any irregularities (February 29 to prevent early activation)

> Write script to then reactivate for whichever date the anniversary to repeat all the above.
>Save script in server.

Instead of:

#GiftdropScript
>if #XXXX# account <#4000? Y/N
>if time = 0030-0100? Y/N
>then >~Deposit~> X-item ~ Proceed
> Script complete
>Loop script #Giftdrop +2000 to #XXXX#Account at time = 0130-0200

Is this account ex. 3875ex.is under 4000? Yes / No
+ Is the time between 00:30-01:00 Yes / No
Then deposit X-item - Action Performed
Script completed,
Loop the Giftdrop script at 01:30-02:00 and add 2000 to #AcountVariable.

Versus

Is this account ex. 15875ex.is under 4000? Yes / No
Then deposit X-item - Action disabled by Account ## Permission

*Pardon my garbage at coding, it's too late to look up proper HTML5 and Java right now. But if/then/action behavior strings are what java and python are built on, FR is built on HTML5 and modified with other languages. It wouldn't be a hard script to implement. Something on the complexity level of Stylish could do this.

That being said. I like the idea of Galore, don't get me wrong, but I don't like this new lore nugget being used to gatekeep items that, for the past 5 years, were reliably, predictably, expected to be, specifically indicated by annoucement to be deposited directly into every unbanned account's hoard.

This is not comparable to the festivals, because those came into the game, from the very start, as time-limited, there's been no change to that format and everyone is used to it, the availability of the items, and being able to buy them later from people who grind specifically to have items to resell. This is not at all comparable to the April 1st or Anniversary drops, no one can plan for them or hoard them. The exact number of unbanned accounts right before the release is the number of those items that will ever be in the game. IF there are 15,000 accounts, 14,345 are unbanned but only 5,898 were before the release then that's how many items are dropped iin the game, forever. However, using Galore, if 800 of those players were on hiatus and missed the 7-day window, that means that only 5,098 copies of that item exist in-game, forever. That's 14% of the total potential pool of this item just up and evaporating, on a technicality. That.... is what's not really cool with me about this idea, though I understand where it's coming from on the server and staff end.

Since this game is shifting towards favoring new players over older ones, there's now going to be a gap of players who will want said item, but were not here for it, players who were here for said item and have it but are under no obligation to sell their. The Galore plan now adds an extra pinch at the rear of the wave, now limiting items that are incoming on top of the limitation caused by new registration after the giftdrop. That may make items jump up in price considerably, but it's also going to make people overall less inclined to sell theirs, the theoretical pool to "get a replacement from" shrinks.

There are much easier ways to deal with the issues raised than suddenly change tactics to now eliminate people who aren't here every day to click on things. (But to be fair, what does prior, predictable history matter these days? See: Eyepocalypse)
@Stormhawke The other fellow already mentioned it. But as far as coding goes, it's a lot more complicated to go:

> write actions for a page
> Save on server storage,

> design art for page,
> Pay artist, spend time doing revisions instead of fixing apparel or genes

> create art for that page
> Save in server storage,

> load it with the gift item, store image of gift item with correct path to lead to Galore,
>Saved in server

> bugtest to ensure that only 1 copy is sent per account per item,
> Pay coder to test, fix and retest, fix and test, and test again.
>Give to sandbox admins to test in "live" play.
> Fix any bugs caused by accidentally clicking on a mismapped action area, whatever...

> Add a wide time frame for this page to be active. April 1-8th, then deactivate and disappear?.
>Save in server

> Implement timer to count to next date of appearance, with server storage.
>Save in server, with notices to alert of any irregularities (February 29 to prevent early activation)

> Write script to then reactivate for whichever date the anniversary to repeat all the above.
>Save script in server.

Instead of:

#GiftdropScript
>if #XXXX# account <#4000? Y/N
>if time = 0030-0100? Y/N
>then >~Deposit~> X-item ~ Proceed
> Script complete
>Loop script #Giftdrop +2000 to #XXXX#Account at time = 0130-0200

Is this account ex. 3875ex.is under 4000? Yes / No
Then deposit X-item - Action Performed
Script completed,
Loop the Giftdrop script at 01:30-02:00 and add 2000 to #AcountVariable.

Versus

Is this account ex. 15875ex.is under 4000? Yes / No
Then deposit X-item - Action disabled by Account ## Permission

*Pardon my garbage at coding, it's too late to look up proper HTML5 and Java right now. But if/then/action behavior strings are what java and python are built on, FR is built on HTML5 and modified with other languages. It wouldn't be a hard script to implement. Something on the complexity level of Stylish could do this.

That being said. I like the idea of Galore, don't get me wrong, but I don't like this new lore nugget being used to gatekeep items that, for the past 5 years, were reliably, predictably, expected to be, specifically indicated by annoucement to be deposited directly into every unbanned account's hoard.

This is not comparable to the festivals, because those came into the game, from the very start, as time-limited, there's been no change to that format and everyone is used to it, the availability of the items, and being able to buy them later from people who grind specifically to have items to resell. This is not at all comparable to the April 1st or Anniversary drops, no one can plan for them or hoard them. The exact number of unbanned accounts right before the release is the number of those items that will ever be in the game. IF there are 15,000 accounts, 14,345 are unbanned but only 5,898 were before the release then that's how many items are dropped iin the game, forever. However, using Galore, if 800 of those players were on hiatus and missed the 7-day window, that means that only 5,098 copies of that item exist in-game, forever. That's 14% of the total potential pool of this item just up and evaporating, on a technicality. That.... is what's not really cool with me about this idea, though I understand where it's coming from on the server and staff end.

Since this game is shifting towards favoring new players over older ones, there's now going to be a gap of players who will want said item, but were not here for it, players who were here for said item and have it but are under no obligation to sell their. The Galore plan now adds an extra pinch at the rear of the wave, now limiting items that are incoming on top of the limitation caused by new registration after the giftdrop. That may make items jump up in price considerably, but it's also going to make people overall less inclined to sell theirs, the theoretical pool to "get a replacement from" shrinks.

There are much easier ways to deal with the issues raised than suddenly change tactics to now eliminate people who aren't here every day to click on things. (But to be fair, what does prior, predictable history matter these days? See: Eyepocalypse)
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
[quote name="Amut" date="2019-05-08 20:15:05" ] [quote name="@/Stormhawke" date="2019-05-07 19:18:24" ] I think we have to keep in perspective that we're only talking about a few times in a year when Galore would be active, and those times are fixed (like April Fools or the anniversary). It's not like he's going to be setting up shop every month or at random times, so people are going to be missing a bunch of items because they didn't log in while Galore was active and had no idea it was coming. [/quote] I hear where you're coming from. But keep in perspective that this appears to be an entire NPC and coded function to handle 2 days out of 365 of them. There are plenty of easier ways to lessen sever strain that design an entire NPC with code that has to hang around and be "active" for a week~ after the date. It would just be easier if they staggered blocks of accounts for gift delivery times. 00:30 #1-2000 / 01:00 #2001-4000 / 01:30 4001-6000 / etc./ etc. Or, as an earlier posted mentioned. Don't deliver gifts right after rollover if the goal is to avoid "the crunch" If 10:30 is a better time for the coder in charge. Then roll them out at 10:30. There are just easier ways of doing this that don't penalize people who don't have an unhealthy addiction to dragon neopets and also avoid server strain and crunch. Galore is great looking, but he's overkill for passing out 2 boxes a year. [/quote] After looking over similiar suggestions, i absolutely agree with this method. I love galore, a new npc is always nice especially with lovely art to boot, but it's not needed. It feels like a needlessly convoluted process and is punishing to those who can't be on all the time. Yeah it's most likely only going to be used twice a year, the anniversary and april fools. April fools isn't a big deal. You can typically get copies of whatever was given out that year in chest, albeit rarely. But anniversary items? They aren't so easy to get. This year as announced by staff, we are getting an ancient breed, most likely everyone will get one free. How I'm not sure, but it's highly likely. Now imagine being here every anniversary. You get the special items regardless if you were there that day, but now because of this new system you miss getting the items at all. Wasn't notfied? Sorry you have to [i]look on off site places like twitter and facebook to know.[/i] Now you missed what might have been an exclusive anniversary gift, or you have to pay ungodly prices for them. Does that sound fair given that FR has given gifts out before to everyone inactive or not? Sorry but it just sounds like a punishment for your inactivity, whether it be from an accident, health, family, school, or just wanted a break, which they claim is the opposite in the op.
Amut wrote on 2019-05-08 20:15:05:
@/Stormhawke wrote on 2019-05-07 19:18:24:
I think we have to keep in perspective that we're only talking about a few times in a year when Galore would be active, and those times are fixed (like April Fools or the anniversary). It's not like he's going to be setting up shop every month or at random times, so people are going to be missing a bunch of items because they didn't log in while Galore was active and had no idea it was coming.

I hear where you're coming from. But keep in perspective that this appears to be an entire NPC and coded function to handle 2 days out of 365 of them. There are plenty of easier ways to lessen sever strain that design an entire NPC with code that has to hang around and be "active" for a week~ after the date.

It would just be easier if they staggered blocks of accounts for gift delivery times. 00:30 #1-2000 / 01:00 #2001-4000 / 01:30 4001-6000 / etc./ etc.

Or, as an earlier posted mentioned. Don't deliver gifts right after rollover if the goal is to avoid "the crunch" If 10:30 is a better time for the coder in charge. Then roll them out at 10:30.

There are just easier ways of doing this that don't penalize people who don't have an unhealthy addiction to dragon neopets and also avoid server strain and crunch. Galore is great looking, but he's overkill for passing out 2 boxes a year.

After looking over similiar suggestions, i absolutely agree with this method.

I love galore, a new npc is always nice especially with lovely art to boot, but it's not needed.
It feels like a needlessly convoluted process and is punishing to those who can't be on all the time.

Yeah it's most likely only going to be used twice a year, the anniversary and april fools.
April fools isn't a big deal. You can typically get copies of whatever was given out that year in chest, albeit rarely.
But anniversary items? They aren't so easy to get.
This year as announced by staff, we are getting an ancient breed, most likely everyone will get one free. How I'm not sure, but it's highly likely.

Now imagine being here every anniversary. You get the special items regardless if you were there that day, but now because of this new system you miss getting the items at all.
Wasn't notfied? Sorry you have to look on off site places like twitter and facebook to know.
Now you missed what might have been an exclusive anniversary gift, or you have to pay ungodly prices for them.

Does that sound fair given that FR has given gifts out before to everyone inactive or not?
Sorry but it just sounds like a punishment for your inactivity, whether it be from an accident, health, family, school, or just wanted a break, which they claim is the opposite in the op.
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
[quote name="Stormhawke" date="2019-05-09 15:49:21" ] I've said before that it's a game. The healthy balance with not planning real life around it is also not stressing about what's missed. All in all, I think, just as you said, that "it takes time for the populace to adjust." Just like with the eyes and lair revamp, some people will hate it, others will love it, and eventually everyone will get used to it and figure out how to make it work for them. [/quote] I'm sorry but i dont agree in the slightest, especially that last part, but more on that in a second. I want active players to be rewarded, no doubt about that. However FR hasn't been like that. They rewarded both active and inactive players alike, and that's what i loved. There was no worrying about getting the newest special gifts and items because they would be directly dropped into your hoard. But now people are going to worry. If you're someone who can't get on during the times of those advents or the week Galore has them you're SoL. Yeah you can pay the unholy prices off the AH, but you just missed a free item because of the new system. An example: I get into a car accident and i know am stuck in the hospital for a long while. Let's say that happens during the anniversary, and i miss the exclusive item. Why should i be punished on a what's supposed to be a care free game to me because of something that isn't in my control? Especially given the previous system would have given it to me without a time limit? If that accident did happen one of the first things i would do is get on FR as an escape, try to relax, and it would be frustrating and discouraging to see i was essentially punished for this accident. -------- Then there's the second part. I wouldn't say people will adjust because people haven't adjusted to things from over a year ago. I get migraines easily, poor eye site and what not, so when the forums changed to bright sterile white (as well as other places on-site) i was forced to "adjust" by constantly having my night light on my devices. And plenty other people did the same or got ad ons so their eyes weren't burning. Then the coli captchas, people have quit the coli or FR because of them, and for a long time i had to as well. Squinting 1 inch from my screen to see a flipped, dressed dragon tucked in a corner while simultaneously matching the background color is hell for lots of people. There's a discussion thread on it with 50+ pages and admin response saying they'll fix it, over a year ago. There's at least 3 main theeads discussing the eye vials, and the original eyes, all with 20-50+ pages filled with ideas and compramises because of the new eyes looking so bad and noticable, another big thing lots of people quit over, and vitriol was started by it. I really wouldn't say those people have "adjusted". Just because there isn't a massive discussion constantly going on doesn't mean it isnt an issue, because in most cases it still is. Most don't talk about it because they feel ignored or get attacked by other people for being "whiney" and "ungrateful" as I've seen tossed around quite a bit towards others who have genuine issues with these things. Don't ping me, please. I'll respond in my own time. =:>
Stormhawke wrote on 2019-05-09 15:49:21:

I've said before that it's a game. The healthy balance with not planning real life around it is also not stressing about what's missed.

All in all, I think, just as you said, that "it takes time for the populace to adjust." Just like with the eyes and lair revamp, some people will hate it, others will love it, and eventually everyone will get used to it and figure out how to make it work for them.
I'm sorry but i dont agree in the slightest, especially that last part, but more on that in a second.

I want active players to be rewarded, no doubt about that.

However FR hasn't been like that. They rewarded both active and inactive players alike, and that's what i loved. There was no worrying about getting the newest special gifts and items because they would be directly dropped into your hoard.

But now people are going to worry. If you're someone who can't get on during the times of those advents or the week Galore has them you're SoL.
Yeah you can pay the unholy prices off the AH, but you just missed a free item because of the new system.

An example: I get into a car accident and i know am stuck in the hospital for a long while. Let's say that happens during the anniversary, and i miss the exclusive item.
Why should i be punished on a what's supposed to be a care free game to me because of something that isn't in my control? Especially given the previous system would have given it to me without a time limit?
If that accident did happen one of the first things i would do is get on FR as an escape, try to relax, and it would be frustrating and discouraging to see i was essentially punished for this accident.

Then there's the second part.

I wouldn't say people will adjust because people haven't adjusted to things from over a year ago.

I get migraines easily, poor eye site and what not, so when the forums changed to bright sterile white (as well as other places on-site) i was forced to "adjust" by constantly having my night light on my devices. And plenty other people did the same or got ad ons so their eyes weren't burning.

Then the coli captchas, people have quit the coli or FR because of them, and for a long time i had to as well. Squinting 1 inch from my screen to see a flipped, dressed dragon tucked in a corner while simultaneously matching the background color is hell for lots of people.
There's a discussion thread on it with 50+ pages and admin response saying they'll fix it, over a year ago.

There's at least 3 main theeads discussing the eye vials, and the original eyes, all with 20-50+ pages filled with ideas and compramises because of the new eyes looking so bad and noticable, another big thing lots of people quit over, and vitriol was started by it.
I really wouldn't say those people have "adjusted".

Just because there isn't a massive discussion constantly going on doesn't mean it isnt an issue, because in most cases it still is. Most don't talk about it because they feel ignored or get attacked by other people for being "whiney" and "ungrateful" as I've seen tossed around quite a bit towards others who have genuine issues with these things.

Don't ping me, please. I'll respond in my own time. =:>
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
As someone with a job that means that I may occasionally have weeks with limited web access, this is actually pretty upsetting. I understand the idea behind it, but it's going to end up punishing people who would like to play more often but have real life get in the way. Part of what I've liked about Flight Rising is that I've been able to play as much or as little as I've liked and felt very little stress about missing out on things. I know this is only going to impact a few days out of the year, but this seems unfair.
As someone with a job that means that I may occasionally have weeks with limited web access, this is actually pretty upsetting. I understand the idea behind it, but it's going to end up punishing people who would like to play more often but have real life get in the way. Part of what I've liked about Flight Rising is that I've been able to play as much or as little as I've liked and felt very little stress about missing out on things. I know this is only going to impact a few days out of the year, but this seems unfair.
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87