Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Reward Delivery Changes
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 86 87
[center][permalink][img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/mini-Developer-Update.png[/img][/permalink][/center] [i]Flight Rising[/i] will soon be making some changes to [b]how it distributes limited event items[/b], so we'd like to give everyone a heads up on the feature we will be launching to facilitate that. [center][permalink][b]Click here to learn more.[/b][/permalink][/center] [more] ------- Hey everyone! Today's update is a [b]"mini"-Dev Update[/b] on some changes we'll be rolling out soon with regards to limited event items. More specifically, how these items will be distributed to you when these changes go into effect. -------- [size=5]Technical Talk[/size] Since the site launched, we've employed a few different ways to deliver [b]limited event items[/b], such as Marva's craft boxes (from our April Fools event) and the Miniature Sornieth Globe familiar (from our [i]Bounty of the Elements[/i] event). As some may remember, when the site was young, these items were attached to [b]private messages[/b]. As time went on and the player base grew, that became more and more taxing on the messaging system. We moved to performing that functionality [b]on the backend[/b], but the player population has again grown so vast that it results in considerable strain to the system to deliver these items simultaneously to hundreds of thousands of inventories. It also requires manual work by the engineering team to make these deliveries possible, often requiring they be present at odd hours and off-days. In order to continue refining the website, working on more features, and reducing/preventing developer burnout, this is a task we felt could use some streamlining. [size=5]Thanking Our Engaged Community[/size] As we worked to find a solution, one of the other discussions we had as a team was [b]our philosophy for giving out exclusive items[/b] in general. Up until now, these exclusive gifts were dropped into the inventory of every non-closed account (whether you were actively playing or not), meaning that items of potentially great value and sentiment are likely sitting in the Hoards of accounts that some players don't and maybe won't use anymore. Our team has always taken a firm stance on inactive accounts remaining open so that players who may have left can return and pick up where they left off, and that isn't changing. With that said, [b]we also believe in showing our appreciation to our players for being active and current participants in the [i]Flight Rising[/i] community[/b], and it's time to make some changes to reinforce that. This doesn't mean that inactive accounts are suddenly going to be made ineligible for exclusive gifts; we are simply modifying the delivery format. [size=5]Galore's Glorious Gifts[/size] In the near future, we will be launching a feature called [b]Galore's Glorious Gifts[/b]. Galore is a guardian dragon who loves to safeguard rare and legendary relics, but also believes strongly in passing these on to others. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/galore.png[/img][/center] When we release exclusive event items, [b]we will no longer be placing them automatically in your Hoard; they will be available to collect at Galore's new plot in the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/trading]Trading Post[/url][/b]. All open accounts will have the opportunity to visit Galore and collect the item(s) for a brief period of time. Even if your account has been inactive for a few years, you can still login and grab a reward! We understand that some players may take planned or unplanned time away from [i]Flight Rising[/i]. Vacations, school finals, jury duty, illness, and other life events could prevent someone from playing, and we don't want this new delivery system to be punishing. Our current plans are that [b]Galore will keep these items available for one whole week (7 days)[/b], to give everyone a fairly wide window to jump in and collect. We will pair these offerings with social media announcements to make sure we are doing our best to remind players who are following the game that there are gifts ready to grab. [i](NOTE: We have no plans for Galore to retroactively offer previously-released limited event items, only those created for the specific current event and for all events going forward.)[/i] -------- As always, our team is committed to improving [i]Flight Rising[/i] as time goes on, and [b]Galore's Glorious Gifts[/b] occupies a great slot in being both a process improvement for us and an intuitive feature for you! Look forward to Galore joining the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/trading][b]Trading Post[/b][/url] very soon!
mini-Developer-Update.png

Flight Rising will soon be making some changes to how it distributes limited event items, so we'd like to give everyone a heads up on the feature we will be launching to facilitate that.

Hey everyone! Today's update is a "mini"-Dev Update on some changes we'll be rolling out soon with regards to limited event items. More specifically, how these items will be distributed to you when these changes go into effect.

Technical Talk

Since the site launched, we've employed a few different ways to deliver limited event items, such as Marva's craft boxes (from our April Fools event) and the Miniature Sornieth Globe familiar (from our Bounty of the Elements event).

As some may remember, when the site was young, these items were attached to private messages. As time went on and the player base grew, that became more and more taxing on the messaging system.

We moved to performing that functionality on the backend, but the player population has again grown so vast that it results in considerable strain to the system to deliver these items simultaneously to hundreds of thousands of inventories.

It also requires manual work by the engineering team to make these deliveries possible, often requiring they be present at odd hours and off-days. In order to continue refining the website, working on more features, and reducing/preventing developer burnout, this is a task we felt could use some streamlining.

Thanking Our Engaged Community

As we worked to find a solution, one of the other discussions we had as a team was our philosophy for giving out exclusive items in general. Up until now, these exclusive gifts were dropped into the inventory of every non-closed account (whether you were actively playing or not), meaning that items of potentially great value and sentiment are likely sitting in the Hoards of accounts that some players don't and maybe won't use anymore.

Our team has always taken a firm stance on inactive accounts remaining open so that players who may have left can return and pick up where they left off, and that isn't changing. With that said, we also believe in showing our appreciation to our players for being active and current participants in the Flight Rising community, and it's time to make some changes to reinforce that. This doesn't mean that inactive accounts are suddenly going to be made ineligible for exclusive gifts; we are simply modifying the delivery format.

Galore's Glorious Gifts

In the near future, we will be launching a feature called Galore's Glorious Gifts. Galore is a guardian dragon who loves to safeguard rare and legendary relics, but also believes strongly in passing these on to others.

galore.png

When we release exclusive event items, we will no longer be placing them automatically in your Hoard; they will be available to collect at Galore's new plot in the Trading Post. All open accounts will have the opportunity to visit Galore and collect the item(s) for a brief period of time. Even if your account has been inactive for a few years, you can still login and grab a reward!

We understand that some players may take planned or unplanned time away from Flight Rising. Vacations, school finals, jury duty, illness, and other life events could prevent someone from playing, and we don't want this new delivery system to be punishing. Our current plans are that Galore will keep these items available for one whole week (7 days), to give everyone a fairly wide window to jump in and collect. We will pair these offerings with social media announcements to make sure we are doing our best to remind players who are following the game that there are gifts ready to grab.

(NOTE: We have no plans for Galore to retroactively offer previously-released limited event items, only those created for the specific current event and for all events going forward.)

As always, our team is committed to improving Flight Rising as time goes on, and Galore's Glorious Gifts occupies a great slot in being both a process improvement for us and an intuitive feature for you! Look forward to Galore joining the Trading Post very soon!
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
We ask everyone stay on topic for this announcement thread and discussion. Off-topic posts will be removed, including any replies that have one part on topic but the other half off-topic. Thank you!
We ask everyone stay on topic for this announcement thread and discussion. Off-topic posts will be removed, including any replies that have one part on topic but the other half off-topic. Thank you!
Uhmm Galore is gorgeous?? edit: I also think this is a nice addition and makes sense to those who are commonly active. I do wonder if the 7 day period could be doubled maybe? [emoji=spiral tongue size=2]
Uhmm Galore is gorgeous??

edit: I also think this is a nice addition and makes sense to those who are commonly active. I do wonder if the 7 day period could be doubled maybe?
_______ sxMU55W.png ___
e. off. | she - her | fr +2
search for a place to rest old bones

VIOLENT DELIGHTS HAVE VIOLENT ENDS
oh? edit: gosh galore is one gorgeous dragon. i do hope this eases the stress on the system! not sure how i feel about the execution in general, however, as players on hiatus or on leave (due to issues that surpass them) will be severely affected by this should they decide to return at one point. perhaps it would be best to extend the time-frame in which galore's plot is open? so that they may be given enough time to hop in and get the exclusive item. i do understand that sites wish to reward active players more, but at the same time it'd be best to be fair to players who might think of returning but can't at the moment of the event [emoji=new friend size=1] edit 2: been reading the replies and i agree that a 10 day or 14 day window would be super helpful! one week might be a tad short, meanwhile a whole month is just way too long.
oh?

edit: gosh galore is one gorgeous dragon. i do hope this eases the stress on the system!

not sure how i feel about the execution in general, however, as players on hiatus or on leave (due to issues that surpass them) will be severely affected by this should they decide to return at one point. perhaps it would be best to extend the time-frame in which galore's plot is open? so that they may be given enough time to hop in and get the exclusive item. i do understand that sites wish to reward active players more, but at the same time it'd be best to be fair to players who might think of returning but can't at the moment of the event

edit 2: been reading the replies and i agree that a 10 day or 14 day window would be super helpful! one week might be a tad short, meanwhile a whole month is just way too long.
s2f2i3T.png ... leu
fr +5
she/her
wishlist
gem stop
YAS I ADORE this!!!! Galore is beautiful and I hope this eases the strain on the servers!! Awesome [emoji=fae star size=2]
YAS

I ADORE this!!!! Galore is beautiful and I hope this eases the strain on the servers!! Awesome
ZyHyMSU.png Please always ping me!
arcane_banner.png
already in love with that guardian omf
already in love with that guardian omf
jPdGQf9.gif Xub4k1J.png
dEe2UrM.png
LEpJMnn.png
z8s5c34.png
JrEJc4j.png
they’re cute
they’re cute
yahahahactoWWO2.png yahaha
Oh! This seems super interesting! Plus I love Galore’s design!
Oh! This seems super interesting! Plus I love Galore’s design!
IMG_5287.png

They/Them
FR+3
Art
Shop

ACOZFAh.png

mtHAEL4.png

tyEuRXe.png
Galore is absolutely gorgeous and I fully understand the need for something like this. However, I'm a bit worried that a week is a bit too short? I agree with other comments mentioning the possibility of doubling that or increasing it. I feel like there's plenty of times where active players may lose access to the internet or the site for a week-long period and could miss out on goodies that they deserve. [emoji=spiral sad size=2]
Galore is absolutely gorgeous and I fully understand the need for something like this.

However, I'm a bit worried that a week is a bit too short? I agree with other comments mentioning the possibility of doubling that or increasing it. I feel like there's plenty of times where active players may lose access to the internet or the site for a week-long period and could miss out on goodies that they deserve.
mmoiFfg.png
This is a really cool addition, I think! Nice work!!
This is a really cool addition, I think! Nice work!!
O5nA62f.pngDCd1YMi.png
they/them (21)
dragons make my brain go brrrrr
I love writing lore...
... But I never seem to do it XD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 86 87