Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Coliseum Technical Beta
1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 93 94
[quote name="Mutron" date=2018-02-05 08:03:25] [quote name="Softness" date=2018-02-05 08:00:23] [quote name="SerigalaMenarik" date=2018-02-05 06:15:41] [quote name="colali" date=2018-02-05 06:12:43] the pause after attacking (regaining breath) is a little irritating [/quote] Same >.< [/quote] Agreed! [/quote] This should have been reduced as of about 30 minutes ago -- the "regain breath" animation at the end of a turn (the blue numbers) should no longer block you from choosing an action. [/quote] So it's totally possible that I'm just not seeing the fix for the bug, but I'm still seeing a painful pause right after I use scratch on an enemy. It seems like the animation while my dragon returns to their spot is also stopping the next turn from starting? Chrome 63.0.3239.132 (64-bit) Windows 10 Desktop, Wired internet connection Antivirus: Avast 17.9.2322 It's possible this is intended behavior, in which case that's fine I'll back off. But it's a little jarring for me right now to have an extra several seconds of pause.
Mutron wrote on 2018-02-05:
Softness wrote on 2018-02-05:
SerigalaMenarik wrote on 2018-02-05:
colali wrote on 2018-02-05:
the pause after attacking (regaining breath) is a little irritating

Same >.<

Agreed!

This should have been reduced as of about 30 minutes ago -- the "regain breath" animation at the end of a turn (the blue numbers) should no longer block you from choosing an action.

So it's totally possible that I'm just not seeing the fix for the bug, but I'm still seeing a painful pause right after I use scratch on an enemy. It seems like the animation while my dragon returns to their spot is also stopping the next turn from starting?

Chrome 63.0.3239.132 (64-bit)
Windows 10
Desktop, Wired internet connection
Antivirus: Avast 17.9.2322

It's possible this is intended behavior, in which case that's fine I'll back off. But it's a little jarring for me right now to have an extra several seconds of pause.
3ti5tEK.pngbRkNGZW.png
[color=#006ab8]I just tested this out in both coliseum versions, and it seems like the pause after each attack is tied to the breath gain, since a turn ends once they gain their breath in both versions. In the old/current coliseum, the breath is gained right as the attack lands. ~ turn ends after they attack. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Miqe7DL.png[/img] But in the beta, the breath is gained after they slide back to their position. ~ turn ends after they attack [b][i]and [/i][/b]slide back. [img]https://i.imgur.com/B0E4YM7.png[/img]
I just tested this out in both coliseum versions, and it seems like the pause after each attack is tied to the breath gain, since a turn ends once they gain their breath in both versions.

In the old/current coliseum, the breath is gained right as the attack lands.
~ turn ends after they attack.
Miqe7DL.png

But in the beta, the breath is gained after they slide back to their position.
~ turn ends after they attack and slide back.
B0E4YM7.png
dXizOVT.gif
deviantART
♦ +3 FR Time ♦
♦ Born-Again Christian ♦
♥ ♥ Wishlist ♥ ♥
♦ ♦ For Sale ♦ ♦
Free Dragons
Free lv27 Cauldron
Animated Icons
Art Trades
NatakiroFR.gif      tumblr_inline_nt4mfidcqY1qkfp12_500.gif
     Ping, please!
[quote name="AviatorPi" date=2018-02-06 19:36:19] Gonna start this rant off by reminding both myself and others that this is just the technical beta, and that given enough user feedback, the stuff that makes this new version of the Coli unfun and frustrating will be removed or modified. So, yeah, I still have high hopes. And hopefully it'll get better. Anyway, after going back and testing it a little more, the constant page refreshing has become pretty much unbearable. For one, it doesn't seem like the page is equipped to accommodate for the refreshing at all, since I keep having to scroll back down each time it refreshes. And in the lower venues, that's every few seconds I'm having to scroll. That's pretty ridiculous, if you think about it. And it gets worse: the page refreshing boots you out of full screen mode. Seriously? What the heck is the point of full screen if it only lasts for a few SECONDS? I mean, I don't use that mode much, but when I'm split-screening and watching something on my computer at the same time it's handy. And now that's ruined. And really, what's the point? To reduce strain on the servers? But if you're reloading all the assets (including the ones on the page but outside of the Coli) every few seconds, doesn't that put much more strain on the servers then just having a couple more monster sprites hanging around? Or is it just to fit more ads in? Because a bit more revenue is worth completely derailing gameplay? If that's it, then let me tell you this just makes me even less interested in turning off my adblock. Oh, and since one of these just came up, let's talk about the captchas. I'm not completely against the captchas in general, but the way they're implemented is, to be frank, crappy. I think the worst part of it is how small they are. Seriously, they're TINY. I do all right at being able to see things on computer screens, but even I'm getting frustrated at these. Do you know what a Skydancer looks like turned on its back and shrunk to half an inch? Because I don't, people with poor eyesight definitely don't, and I'm surprised you expect us to identify one every thirty seconds, especially with a messy background and four other indecipherable sprites. Maybe I'm just frustrated because of all the other issues compounded, but this seems like the worst way to implement a captcha. TL;DR: My current verdict is a solid D+ on the new Coli. It's really bad right now, and if these issues don't get fixed by the time it gets released for real, it honestly might be the final straw in making me leave the site. And looking at Tumblr, it seems I'm not the only one thinking that, either. EDIT: Also, my point from earlier today about the moves being slower still stands. Seriously, this Coli is starting to seem like the opposite of an optimization. [/quote] ^^^ All of this, twice over.
AviatorPi wrote on 2018-02-06:
Gonna start this rant off by reminding both myself and others that this is just the technical beta, and that given enough user feedback, the stuff that makes this new version of the Coli unfun and frustrating will be removed or modified. So, yeah, I still have high hopes. And hopefully it'll get better.

Anyway, after going back and testing it a little more, the constant page refreshing has become pretty much unbearable. For one, it doesn't seem like the page is equipped to accommodate for the refreshing at all, since I keep having to scroll back down each time it refreshes. And in the lower venues, that's every few seconds I'm having to scroll. That's pretty ridiculous, if you think about it. And it gets worse: the page refreshing boots you out of full screen mode. Seriously? What the heck is the point of full screen if it only lasts for a few SECONDS? I mean, I don't use that mode much, but when I'm split-screening and watching something on my computer at the same time it's handy. And now that's ruined.

And really, what's the point? To reduce strain on the servers? But if you're reloading all the assets (including the ones on the page but outside of the Coli) every few seconds, doesn't that put much more strain on the servers then just having a couple more monster sprites hanging around? Or is it just to fit more ads in? Because a bit more revenue is worth completely derailing gameplay? If that's it, then let me tell you this just makes me even less interested in turning off my adblock.

Oh, and since one of these just came up, let's talk about the captchas. I'm not completely against the captchas in general, but the way they're implemented is, to be frank, crappy. I think the worst part of it is how small they are. Seriously, they're TINY. I do all right at being able to see things on computer screens, but even I'm getting frustrated at these. Do you know what a Skydancer looks like turned on its back and shrunk to half an inch? Because I don't, people with poor eyesight definitely don't, and I'm surprised you expect us to identify one every thirty seconds, especially with a messy background and four other indecipherable sprites. Maybe I'm just frustrated because of all the other issues compounded, but this seems like the worst way to implement a captcha.

TL;DR: My current verdict is a solid D+ on the new Coli. It's really bad right now, and if these issues don't get fixed by the time it gets released for real, it honestly might be the final straw in making me leave the site. And looking at Tumblr, it seems I'm not the only one thinking that, either.

EDIT: Also, my point from earlier today about the moves being slower still stands. Seriously, this Coli is starting to seem like the opposite of an optimization.

^^^

All of this, twice over.
I apologize ahead of time if this is not the correct thread to share this.
@Xhaztol @Mutron

I really really dislike the new setup for dragons' status effects. In the original coli, status effects (such as Meditate Exhaustion) are shown to the right of a dragon's info box by their name within the white gradient. Obversly, in the beta they are shown on the top left of the dragons' health bar, on the coloured side of the gradient. Because of this, certain coloured dragons' backgrounds can make it hard to differentiate some icons (especially for persons with colour-deficiencies, for example). I thought I would bring this to light as I am not colour deficient and even I still managed to overlook them in the beginning.... I would like to suggest keeping status/battle effects in their original locations, or perhaps lighten the area more in some way?

Otherwise, I am completely in love with the overhaul so far. The new Coli will be absolutely gorgeous upon completion, and I am so excited to be able to witness it in the making! Thank you staff for working so hard, you're doing great <3
I apologize ahead of time if this is not the correct thread to share this.
@Xhaztol @Mutron

I really really dislike the new setup for dragons' status effects. In the original coli, status effects (such as Meditate Exhaustion) are shown to the right of a dragon's info box by their name within the white gradient. Obversly, in the beta they are shown on the top left of the dragons' health bar, on the coloured side of the gradient. Because of this, certain coloured dragons' backgrounds can make it hard to differentiate some icons (especially for persons with colour-deficiencies, for example). I thought I would bring this to light as I am not colour deficient and even I still managed to overlook them in the beginning.... I would like to suggest keeping status/battle effects in their original locations, or perhaps lighten the area more in some way?

Otherwise, I am completely in love with the overhaul so far. The new Coli will be absolutely gorgeous upon completion, and I am so excited to be able to witness it in the making! Thank you staff for working so hard, you're doing great <3
deity_shadowbinder_by_dogi_crimson-da4xq7y.gifdeity_plaguebringer_by_dogi_crimson-daayujd.gifdeity_flamecaller_by_dogi_crimson-da7kf8e.gifdeity_stormchaser_by_dogi_crimson-da9bmz2.gifdeity_tidelord_by_dogi_crimson-dadpfgb.gif
Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone else has this "issue," and since it's not a bug I'm not sure if posting here is okay? Should I do it somewhere else? I don't know. But the issue is a visual one - gameplay has a "soap opera" effect. I'm not really sure how else to describe it... it's the same visual frequency(?) that you get on tv with soap operas, or really ultra high-def (it's called "TruMotion" on mine but may be called something else, too?). That sort of visual is really nauseating... I've only managed like, three battles since Beta was released, and didn't even finish the last because I though I was going to throw up. :T Turning off the rich visual effects helps, but makes it harder to keep track of what is going on in battle (and is also disconcerting not seeing ANY movement whatsoever). I hate to be 'that person' but thought it might be worth it to mention, because maybe other people that have issues with motion and visual processing might be feeling the same. tl;dr it would be wonderful if there was an option to have things "look" the same as the old coli, at least in regards to movement! :)
Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone else has this "issue," and since it's not a bug I'm not sure if posting here is okay? Should I do it somewhere else? I don't know. But the issue is a visual one - gameplay has a "soap opera" effect. I'm not really sure how else to describe it... it's the same visual frequency(?) that you get on tv with soap operas, or really ultra high-def (it's called "TruMotion" on mine but may be called something else, too?). That sort of visual is really nauseating... I've only managed like, three battles since Beta was released, and didn't even finish the last because I though I was going to throw up. :T Turning off the rich visual effects helps, but makes it harder to keep track of what is going on in battle (and is also disconcerting not seeing ANY movement whatsoever). I hate to be 'that person' but thought it might be worth it to mention, because maybe other people that have issues with motion and visual processing might be feeling the same. tl;dr it would be wonderful if there was an option to have things "look" the same as the old coli, at least in regards to movement! :)
Catfeather Loop fbwG7W5.png

please see shop front for specific pinglists
Just wanted to provide an update for everyone.

We just got finished with a team meeting regarding the progress of the beta, and had good discussions about the feedback so far. We've heard your voices loud and clear, and we are going to be attempting to change page refreshes so that they do not occur when you are moving between consecutive battles. This should hopefully create less of a disruption when playing the Coliseum for an extended period of time. We hope to have this change out during the beta soon but don't have an exact time we can provide right now.

That being said, we need to stress that this is not a simple change to make, and some minor polish items and minor bug fixes may have to be deferred to a post-launch follow-up patch as a result.

Thank you to everyone who has been testing so far and contributing invaluable bug reports. This beta was an essential effort to run to make sure we got things in good shape.

We just got finished with a team meeting regarding the progress of the beta, and had good discussions about the feedback so far. We've heard your voices loud and clear, and we are going to be attempting to change page refreshes so that they do not occur when you are moving between consecutive battles. This should hopefully create less of a disruption when playing the Coliseum for an extended period of time. We hope to have this change out during the beta soon but don't have an exact time we can provide right now.

That being said, we need to stress that this is not a simple change to make, and some minor polish items and minor bug fixes may have to be deferred to a post-launch follow-up patch as a result.

Thank you to everyone who has been testing so far and contributing invaluable bug reports. This beta was an essential effort to run to make sure we got things in good shape.
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
praise!
praise!
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
[quote name="Xhaztol" date=2018-02-06 22:36:18] Just wanted to provide an update for everyone. We just got finished with a team meeting regarding the progress of the beta, and had good discussions about the feedback so far. We've heard your voices loud and clear, and we are going to be attempting to change page refreshes so that they do not occur when you are moving between consecutive battles. This should hopefully create less of a disruption when playing the Coliseum for an extended period of time. We hope to have this change out during the beta soon but don't have an exact time we can provide right now. That being said, we need to stress that this is not a simple change to make, and some minor polish items and minor bug fixes may have to be deferred to a post-launch follow-up patch as a result. Thank you to everyone who has been testing so far and contributing invaluable bug reports. This beta was an essential effort to run to make sure we got things in good shape. [/quote] Thank you so much! It means a lot to know that the mods are listening!
Xhaztol wrote on 2018-02-06:

Thank you so much! It means a lot to know that the mods are listening!
LKUGPNw.giftumblr_inline_piazpj7mY51u2mdgr_540.pngB2gPcio.gif
Oh thank you for listening! This should hopefully help out a lot!
Oh thank you for listening! This should hopefully help out a lot!
PAo2UkJ.png > Kneph/Worm

> He/They/It

> +3 FR
Feedback so far:

Getting the camping captcha as the first thing when opening a venue to battle is annoying. Encountering it every 2-3 battles is also getting annoying.

So, my ping is hovering around 330, which since I'm in Australia on fixed copper line is pretty normal, but every time it reloads between battles it spikes to 440-750, and the overall result it it takes about 4-6 seconds for the coli to be done loading between battles and 13 seconds to do the battle, which.. is not a good ratio. Could it perhaps do a partial refresh ajax style instead of reloading the entire page?
The one thing I like about the reloading, though, is that I can see if a new notification comes in while I'm in coli without having to go and refresh a different page, which may be good for speedy PA receiving when also training during dom pushes

Edit: spends so long editing that I miss the update post saying they're gonna work on the page refresh thing, yay

The camping modal is v small. I'm getting better at picking what is an upside down hatchling the same colour as the background, but I often still need to zoom right in or end up picking a basilisk because I saw a wing. Apparently it is somehow easier if I don't wear my glasses??

When you do fail too many captchas, you get the message that you won't be able to access the coliseum "for some time". What is some time? 5 minutes? Half an hour? 24 hours? Shouldn't have to keep coming back and checking to find out, when that info could have been in the message.

The transition between turns is slow, and is resulting in me trying to press the ability button before it is ready. Looks like the delay is a combination of waiting for the animation for enemy health / death animation, the animation waiting for the attacking dragon to return to their standing place, and waiting for the animation on the turn slider left of screen.

Personally having trouble spotting the status effect icons at the left hand side of the bar, where they overlap with the dragon image, and depending on the colours can blend in.

It is disappointing that the camping bonus only lasts for one battle. 5% str bonus was great in golem workshop; being able to 1 scratch + eliminate enemies there was great on the rare occasion that the camping bonus matched up with an enemy that would usually need 2 scratches + elim. Grinding in Golem Workshop is so nice, I could live there (2 glasscannons + healer)

The fixes to the first-turn bug and the eliminate breath bug make it easier to survive longer with current trainer setup, but overall I think I'd struggle to reach the same levelling output I've managed with the current coli, due to all the new sources of slow

No actual bugs to report, although I did have this weird lucky streak where I didn't enounter a boss in Mire, Golem Workshop or Ghostlight for four hours? Found one now so pretty sure its not actually broken.

I think that's all I have for now~
Feedback so far:

Getting the camping captcha as the first thing when opening a venue to battle is annoying. Encountering it every 2-3 battles is also getting annoying.

So, my ping is hovering around 330, which since I'm in Australia on fixed copper line is pretty normal, but every time it reloads between battles it spikes to 440-750, and the overall result it it takes about 4-6 seconds for the coli to be done loading between battles and 13 seconds to do the battle, which.. is not a good ratio. Could it perhaps do a partial refresh ajax style instead of reloading the entire page?
The one thing I like about the reloading, though, is that I can see if a new notification comes in while I'm in coli without having to go and refresh a different page, which may be good for speedy PA receiving when also training during dom pushes

Edit: spends so long editing that I miss the update post saying they're gonna work on the page refresh thing, yay

The camping modal is v small. I'm getting better at picking what is an upside down hatchling the same colour as the background, but I often still need to zoom right in or end up picking a basilisk because I saw a wing. Apparently it is somehow easier if I don't wear my glasses??

When you do fail too many captchas, you get the message that you won't be able to access the coliseum "for some time". What is some time? 5 minutes? Half an hour? 24 hours? Shouldn't have to keep coming back and checking to find out, when that info could have been in the message.

The transition between turns is slow, and is resulting in me trying to press the ability button before it is ready. Looks like the delay is a combination of waiting for the animation for enemy health / death animation, the animation waiting for the attacking dragon to return to their standing place, and waiting for the animation on the turn slider left of screen.

Personally having trouble spotting the status effect icons at the left hand side of the bar, where they overlap with the dragon image, and depending on the colours can blend in.

It is disappointing that the camping bonus only lasts for one battle. 5% str bonus was great in golem workshop; being able to 1 scratch + eliminate enemies there was great on the rare occasion that the camping bonus matched up with an enemy that would usually need 2 scratches + elim. Grinding in Golem Workshop is so nice, I could live there (2 glasscannons + healer)

The fixes to the first-turn bug and the eliminate breath bug make it easier to survive longer with current trainer setup, but overall I think I'd struggle to reach the same levelling output I've managed with the current coli, due to all the new sources of slow

No actual bugs to report, although I did have this weird lucky streak where I didn't enounter a boss in Mire, Golem Workshop or Ghostlight for four hours? Found one now so pretty sure its not actually broken.

I think that's all I have for now~
smaller_2_by_devibrigard-db1jw11.png
FKAc5gc.gif
sPCU7cF.png
doot doot doot doot doot doot doot
doot doot doot doot doot
1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 93 94