Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Coliseum Technical Beta
1 2 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 93 94
I only have a limited amount of "useable" (meaning not garbage) internet speed every month, and if the coli has to reload every single battle i'm never using it again, that'll eat an unreasonable amount of my bandwidth.
I only have a limited amount of "useable" (meaning not garbage) internet speed every month, and if the coli has to reload every single battle i'm never using it again, that'll eat an unreasonable amount of my bandwidth.
KVbkgOZ.png
The constant refreshing is making me lose my mind.

If this is truly for optimizing the experience of people with lower end machines, is there a way to have it be a setting they could opt into?

I have to use fullscreen when I grind. I am partly blind. I have many issues seeing the captchas and now with the refreshing it basically makes going fullscreen useless.

Unless I want my sessions to go like this:

Fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load -> do a 5 second battle -> coliseum refreshes -> scroll back down -> fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load -> do another 5 second battle -> Struggle to see a captcha -> Zoom in to a low res picture -> click helplessly because I'm blind and can't discern what I need to click -> pray I dont get locked out -> page reloads -> scroll down -> fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load....

You see how this could be tedious for someone who just wants to grind...

Why even offer fullscreen at this point?

@Xhaztol

Sorry to ping a mod but I'm not the only one with visual problems who are finding this difficult. I made a thread and people have been sharing little stories and examples. There's also plenty of visually impaired people talking on tumblr and discord about how difficult this is on them.

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2373235

If this is truly for optimizing the experience of people with lower end machines, is there a way to have it be a setting they could opt into?

I have to use fullscreen when I grind. I am partly blind. I have many issues seeing the captchas and now with the refreshing it basically makes going fullscreen useless.

Fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load -> do a 5 second battle -> coliseum refreshes -> scroll back down -> fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load -> do another 5 second battle -> Struggle to see a captcha -> Zoom in to a low res picture -> click helplessly because I'm blind and can't discern what I need to click -> pray I dont get locked out -> page reloads -> scroll down -> fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load....

@Xhaztol

Sorry to ping a mod but I'm not the only one with visual problems who are finding this difficult. I made a thread and people have been sharing little stories and examples. There's also plenty of visually impaired people talking on tumblr and discord about how difficult this is on them.

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2373235

LKUGPNw.giftumblr_inline_piazpj7mY51u2mdgr_540.pngB2gPcio.gif
Gonna start this rant off by reminding both myself and others that this is just the technical beta, and that given enough user feedback, the stuff that makes this new version of the Coli unfun and frustrating will be removed or modified. So, yeah, I still have high hopes. And hopefully it'll get better.

Anyway, after going back and testing it a little more, the constant page refreshing has become pretty much unbearable. For one, it doesn't seem like the page is equipped to accommodate for the refreshing at all, since I keep having to scroll back down each time it refreshes. And in the lower venues, that's every few seconds I'm having to scroll. That's pretty ridiculous, if you think about it. And it gets worse: the page refreshing boots you out of full screen mode. Seriously? What the heck is the point of full screen if it only lasts for a few SECONDS? I mean, I don't use that mode much, but when I'm split-screening and watching something on my computer at the same time it's handy. And now that's ruined.

And really, what's the point? To reduce strain on the servers? But if you're reloading all the assets (including the ones on the page but outside of the Coli) every few seconds, doesn't that put much more strain on the servers then just having a couple more monster sprites hanging around? Or is it just to fit more ads in? Because a bit more revenue is worth completely derailing gameplay? If that's it, then let me tell you this just makes me even less interested in turning off my adblock.

Oh, and since one of these just came up, let's talk about the captchas. I'm not completely against the captchas in general, but the way they're implemented is, to be frank, crappy. I think the worst part of it is how small they are. Seriously, they're TINY. I do all right at being able to see things on computer screens, but even I'm getting frustrated at these. Do you know what a Skydancer looks like turned on its back and shrunk to half an inch? Because I don't, people with poor eyesight definitely don't, and I'm surprised you expect us to identify one every thirty seconds, especially with a messy background and four other indecipherable sprites. Maybe I'm just frustrated because of all the other issues compounded, but this seems like the worst way to implement a captcha.

TL;DR: My current verdict is a solid D+ on the new Coli. It's really bad right now, and if these issues don't get fixed by the time it gets released for real, it honestly might be the final straw in making me leave the site. And looking at Tumblr, it seems I'm not the only one thinking that, either.

EDIT: Also, my point from earlier today about the moves being slower still stands. Seriously, this Coli is starting to seem like the opposite of an optimization.
Gonna start this rant off by reminding both myself and others that this is just the technical beta, and that given enough user feedback, the stuff that makes this new version of the Coli unfun and frustrating will be removed or modified. So, yeah, I still have high hopes. And hopefully it'll get better.

Anyway, after going back and testing it a little more, the constant page refreshing has become pretty much unbearable. For one, it doesn't seem like the page is equipped to accommodate for the refreshing at all, since I keep having to scroll back down each time it refreshes. And in the lower venues, that's every few seconds I'm having to scroll. That's pretty ridiculous, if you think about it. And it gets worse: the page refreshing boots you out of full screen mode. Seriously? What the heck is the point of full screen if it only lasts for a few SECONDS? I mean, I don't use that mode much, but when I'm split-screening and watching something on my computer at the same time it's handy. And now that's ruined.

And really, what's the point? To reduce strain on the servers? But if you're reloading all the assets (including the ones on the page but outside of the Coli) every few seconds, doesn't that put much more strain on the servers then just having a couple more monster sprites hanging around? Or is it just to fit more ads in? Because a bit more revenue is worth completely derailing gameplay? If that's it, then let me tell you this just makes me even less interested in turning off my adblock.

Oh, and since one of these just came up, let's talk about the captchas. I'm not completely against the captchas in general, but the way they're implemented is, to be frank, crappy. I think the worst part of it is how small they are. Seriously, they're TINY. I do all right at being able to see things on computer screens, but even I'm getting frustrated at these. Do you know what a Skydancer looks like turned on its back and shrunk to half an inch? Because I don't, people with poor eyesight definitely don't, and I'm surprised you expect us to identify one every thirty seconds, especially with a messy background and four other indecipherable sprites. Maybe I'm just frustrated because of all the other issues compounded, but this seems like the worst way to implement a captcha.

TL;DR: My current verdict is a solid D+ on the new Coli. It's really bad right now, and if these issues don't get fixed by the time it gets released for real, it honestly might be the final straw in making me leave the site. And looking at Tumblr, it seems I'm not the only one thinking that, either.

EDIT: Also, my point from earlier today about the moves being slower still stands. Seriously, this Coli is starting to seem like the opposite of an optimization.
w2N3au9.png
[quote name="PinesAwait" date=2018-02-06 19:30:47] The constant refreshing is making me lose my mind. If this is truly for optimizing the experience of people with lower end machines, is there a way to have it be a setting they could opt into? I have to use fullscreen when I grind. I am partly blind. I have many issues seeing the captchas and now with the refreshing it basically makes going fullscreen useless. Unless I want my sessions to go like this: Fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load -> do a 5 second battle -> coliseum refreshes -> scroll back down -> fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load -> do another 5 second battle -> Struggle to see a captcha -> Zoom in to a low res picture -> click helplessly because I'm blind and can't discern what I need to click -> pray I dont get locked out -> page reloads -> scroll down -> fullscreen -> wait for fullscreen to load.... You see how this could be tedious for someone who just wants to grind... Why even offer fullscreen at this point? [/quote] This, right here. I am also partially blind. I have to fullscreen coli to use it, and I'm one of those that trains fodder constantly. Having to reload the coli to fullscreen EVERY. SINGLE. BATTLE is...not really an option. The constant refreshing is just not working. I'm in agreement with others in the thread that have said they can understand the reloading, [b]but[/b] it should be one load per VENUE, not per BATTLE. This is ridiculous.
PinesAwait wrote on 2018-02-06:

This, right here. I am also partially blind. I have to fullscreen coli to use it, and I'm one of those that trains fodder constantly. Having to reload the coli to fullscreen EVERY. SINGLE. BATTLE is...not really an option. The constant refreshing is just not working. I'm in agreement with others in the thread that have said they can understand the reloading, but it should be one load per VENUE, not per BATTLE. This is ridiculous.
FoJ8nwr.pngWfi70uM.png
I'm happy to get back into doing the Coliseum! And I'm happy it also works on mobile, so I can do it on my Kindle.
I'm happy to get back into doing the Coliseum! And I'm happy it also works on mobile, so I can do it on my Kindle.
Friendly Buizel weirdo, evil scientist enthusiast, avid writer of fanfiction and Sonic RPs

Of the Fire Flight's legendary Storm Clan
Lore Thread and Short story thread
lhaSiSV.png
Can we make the camping pop up bigger. Its super tiny and I need to really stress my eyes to actually find the dragobs. If thats not possible can we just have item and dragon pics without the familiars. At that size some dragons and familars are very similar.

Or we could just do shapes for the most simplistic veraion. Easy to see even at smaller sizes so people with small screebs/bad eye sights dont strain their eyes as much.
Can we make the camping pop up bigger. Its super tiny and I need to really stress my eyes to actually find the dragobs. If thats not possible can we just have item and dragon pics without the familiars. At that size some dragons and familars are very similar.

Or we could just do shapes for the most simplistic veraion. Easy to see even at smaller sizes so people with small screebs/bad eye sights dont strain their eyes as much.
Well, I for one really like how the coli seems to be 'optimized' for mobile. Even on a 400 mobile internet ping, it works really well. I also like that we can turn our animation off, which helps tremendously for such a high ping like mine.

However, like everyone else, I feel the most burdened by the fact that it refreshed the whole page after every battle. I mean... Seriously? It eats up my data, and I only have mobile internet to depend on for literally work and everything else that is not FR; it's pretty limited and to be required to dedicate a huge chunk of it to something I do for fun and relaxation is not fun at all.

In any case, I hope the staff would look at maintaining or even improving what's good about it and consider fixing what's not so good about it. Good luck!
Well, I for one really like how the coli seems to be 'optimized' for mobile. Even on a 400 mobile internet ping, it works really well. I also like that we can turn our animation off, which helps tremendously for such a high ping like mine.

However, like everyone else, I feel the most burdened by the fact that it refreshed the whole page after every battle. I mean... Seriously? It eats up my data, and I only have mobile internet to depend on for literally work and everything else that is not FR; it's pretty limited and to be required to dedicate a huge chunk of it to something I do for fun and relaxation is not fun at all.

In any case, I hope the staff would look at maintaining or even improving what's good about it and consider fixing what's not so good about it. Good luck!
733EAYl.png
I can now avoid social confrontations even harder? I'm so in.
I can now avoid social confrontations even harder? I'm so in.
9iqeDz7.png
[color=#006ab8]@AviatorPi Regarding ad revenue, [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2369293/58#post_31633741]Xhaztol has stated[/url]: [quote name="Xhaztol" date=2018-02-06 13:53:42]We have actually, due to their nature, purposefully [b]demonetized [/b]the Coliseum pages. Right now, in the [s]legacy[/s] beta version, only Hiveworks ads (whom help manage our ad system) are served, which don't benefit us in the way this rumor seems to imply. When the new Coliseum is live, it will be the same way, and may even only show in-house "ads" that [i]we[/i] create to promote things elsewhere on [i]Flight Rising[/i] (like other site features or in the future, our merch), thus not actually doing anything but being banner links for other activities you can do here. [LIST] [*]Yes, we are a business and we make some money off of ad revenue. [*]No, we are not specifically injecting page reloads in to Coliseum to boost that revenue. [/LIST] If you see anyone talking about it that way, please kindly direct them to this post for more information.[/quote] [color=#006ab8]But the ads constantly being generated, regardless of origin, [i]do [/i]slow it down a little. :/
@AviatorPi Regarding ad revenue, Xhaztol has stated:
Xhaztol wrote on 2018-02-06:
We have actually, due to their nature, purposefully demonetized the Coliseum pages. Right now, in the legacy beta version, only Hiveworks ads (whom help manage our ad system) are served, which don't benefit us in the way this rumor seems to imply. When the new Coliseum is live, it will be the same way, and may even only show in-house "ads" that we create to promote things elsewhere on Flight Rising (like other site features or in the future, our merch), thus not actually doing anything but being banner links for other activities you can do here.
  • Yes, we are a business and we make some money off of ad revenue.
  • No, we are not specifically injecting page reloads in to Coliseum to boost that revenue.

If you see anyone talking about it that way, please kindly direct them to this post for more information.
But the ads constantly being generated, regardless of origin, do slow it down a little. :/
dXizOVT.gif
deviantART
♦ +3 FR Time ♦
♦ Born-Again Christian ♦
♥ ♥ Wishlist ♥ ♥
♦ ♦ For Sale ♦ ♦
Free Dragons
Free lv27 Cauldron
Animated Icons
Art Trades
NatakiroFR.gif      tumblr_inline_nt4mfidcqY1qkfp12_500.gif
     Ping, please!
[quote name="Natakiro" date=2018-02-06 20:43:24] [color=#006ab8]@ AviatorPi Regarding ad revenue, [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2369293/58#post_31633741]Xhaztol has stated[/url]: [quote name="Xhaztol" date=2018-02-06 13:53:42]We have actually, due to their nature, purposefully [b]demonetized [/b]the Coliseum pages. Right now, in the [s]legacy[/s] beta version, only Hiveworks ads (whom help manage our ad system) are served, which don't benefit us in the way this rumor seems to imply. When the new Coliseum is live, it will be the same way, and may even only show in-house "ads" that [i]we[/i] create to promote things elsewhere on [i]Flight Rising[/i] (like other site features or in the future, our merch), thus not actually doing anything but being banner links for other activities you can do here. [LIST] [*]Yes, we are a business and we make some money off of ad revenue. [*]No, we are not specifically injecting page reloads in to Coliseum to boost that revenue. [/LIST] If you see anyone talking about it that way, please kindly direct them to this post for more information.[/quote] [color=#006ab8]But the ads constantly being generated, regardless of origin, [i]do [/i]slow it down a little. :/ [/quote]if it sets anyone at ease, i'm pretty sure that continuously refreshing a webpage purely for the purpose of generating more ad revenue is a legal no-no and can actually get the website in some hot water. so if a dev's word isn't enough, there's also that to consider. i do honestly believe a lot of the faults with the new coliseum are just oversights or personal preference on part of the devs, and that makes me feel better about their chances of being fixed.
Natakiro wrote on 2018-02-06:
@ AviatorPi Regarding ad revenue, Xhaztol has stated:
Xhaztol wrote on 2018-02-06:
We have actually, due to their nature, purposefully demonetized the Coliseum pages. Right now, in the legacy beta version, only Hiveworks ads (whom help manage our ad system) are served, which don't benefit us in the way this rumor seems to imply. When the new Coliseum is live, it will be the same way, and may even only show in-house "ads" that we create to promote things elsewhere on Flight Rising (like other site features or in the future, our merch), thus not actually doing anything but being banner links for other activities you can do here.
  • Yes, we are a business and we make some money off of ad revenue.
  • No, we are not specifically injecting page reloads in to Coliseum to boost that revenue.

If you see anyone talking about it that way, please kindly direct them to this post for more information.
But the ads constantly being generated, regardless of origin, do slow it down a little. :/
if it sets anyone at ease, i'm pretty sure that continuously refreshing a webpage purely for the purpose of generating more ad revenue is a legal no-no and can actually get the website in some hot water. so if a dev's word isn't enough, there's also that to consider.

i do honestly believe a lot of the faults with the new coliseum are just oversights or personal preference on part of the devs, and that makes me feel better about their chances of being fixed.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
1 2 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 93 94