Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Rockbreaker's Ceremony 2017
1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
@maplemary @ShinyLumeo

I do definitely hear what you guys are saying, but I also think you may have missed a large part of my post. I doubt a large percentage of people have a lot of reason to hang out on and examine every part of the front page before they get to actually interacting with their dragons in any way, since the dragons themselves are the ultimate point of the site. Correct me if I'm wrong but this wasn't designed to be a site that you visit for the express purpose of doing large amounts of reading or monthly memorization for. It's just a fun little hobby site. Shouldn't it be fun and easy to get the most out of it?

The front page is the only page that it shows anything about the holiday, and it is one of the only Absolutely Necessary pages that a user will see while doing the most basic and necessary actions to maintain their clan (gathering, feeding, maybe buying/breeding dragons), if they even navigate to the homepage first which, due to the ease of using bookmarks, not everyone does, and there is very little to DO on the front page EXCEPT reading, which, disabled or not, not everyone has a great time reading text that I can literally cover in entirety by holding my size 4 knitting needle up against the screen (and no, I'm not on a netbook, this screen is over 17" and I have no easier of a time on my 21.5" screens), and even if people CAN see it and don't feel or care how much it is actually damaging their eyes, that tiny print still strains the hell out of them. If people don't need glasses before reading everything on this site, they will afterwards.

Also, I click my next link before the front page even finishes loading, if I even visit the front page first, and for a lot of other reasons, both choice and not, I don't keep track of the calendar date often. One of the problems I'm trying to describe without disclosing my exact medical history is that people with even just executive dysfunction (which covers a LOT of people who do not deserve to be overwritten), let alone any other number of issues that might make this difficult, already have a tough enough time keeping track of the things in their life, including what day or even month or year it is, without also having to remember to remind themselves to look for the date of an online fantasy holiday, and do it in time, every month, without missing a day. That is just not possible for a lot of people, disabled or not, and just because that makes it "our problem" doesn't mean it's not a problem or that we don't even deserve an OPTIONAL, OPT-IN accommodation for it when we want to get as much out of the site as people with a perfect memory.

Also, I didn't see any reasons in either of your posts NOT to implement this, so I am curious if you actually have any.

And yes, indeed I do need glasses; anyone want to pay the $250 for 'em? ;)
@maplemary @ShinyLumeo

I do definitely hear what you guys are saying, but I also think you may have missed a large part of my post. I doubt a large percentage of people have a lot of reason to hang out on and examine every part of the front page before they get to actually interacting with their dragons in any way, since the dragons themselves are the ultimate point of the site. Correct me if I'm wrong but this wasn't designed to be a site that you visit for the express purpose of doing large amounts of reading or monthly memorization for. It's just a fun little hobby site. Shouldn't it be fun and easy to get the most out of it?

The front page is the only page that it shows anything about the holiday, and it is one of the only Absolutely Necessary pages that a user will see while doing the most basic and necessary actions to maintain their clan (gathering, feeding, maybe buying/breeding dragons), if they even navigate to the homepage first which, due to the ease of using bookmarks, not everyone does, and there is very little to DO on the front page EXCEPT reading, which, disabled or not, not everyone has a great time reading text that I can literally cover in entirety by holding my size 4 knitting needle up against the screen (and no, I'm not on a netbook, this screen is over 17" and I have no easier of a time on my 21.5" screens), and even if people CAN see it and don't feel or care how much it is actually damaging their eyes, that tiny print still strains the hell out of them. If people don't need glasses before reading everything on this site, they will afterwards.

Also, I click my next link before the front page even finishes loading, if I even visit the front page first, and for a lot of other reasons, both choice and not, I don't keep track of the calendar date often. One of the problems I'm trying to describe without disclosing my exact medical history is that people with even just executive dysfunction (which covers a LOT of people who do not deserve to be overwritten), let alone any other number of issues that might make this difficult, already have a tough enough time keeping track of the things in their life, including what day or even month or year it is, without also having to remember to remind themselves to look for the date of an online fantasy holiday, and do it in time, every month, without missing a day. That is just not possible for a lot of people, disabled or not, and just because that makes it "our problem" doesn't mean it's not a problem or that we don't even deserve an OPTIONAL, OPT-IN accommodation for it when we want to get as much out of the site as people with a perfect memory.

Also, I didn't see any reasons in either of your posts NOT to implement this, so I am curious if you actually have any.

And yes, indeed I do need glasses; anyone want to pay the $250 for 'em? ;)
@hyperdelirium

Hmm, I see what you are getting at. I wonder if maybe perhaps they could code in a way to send mass notifications to everyone? Like say, the day before something can pop up in your messages tab that would just say "Hello dragon keepers, get ready for ____ Festival tomorrow!" Since those bright orange exclamation mark boxes always get my attention, and plus no matter what page you're on you would be able to see it.

And yes, glasses are a fortune you wear on your face, I have experience, haha.
@hyperdelirium

Hmm, I see what you are getting at. I wonder if maybe perhaps they could code in a way to send mass notifications to everyone? Like say, the day before something can pop up in your messages tab that would just say "Hello dragon keepers, get ready for ____ Festival tomorrow!" Since those bright orange exclamation mark boxes always get my attention, and plus no matter what page you're on you would be able to see it.

OPAAAL

neko_emoji_27__being_kawaii___v2__by_jerikuto-d7c24wi.gif
Moosh
@maplemary @shinylumeo okay I will be fair here that the banner isn't on just the homepage, I was wrong about that, BUT, I had to go and LOOK to find that tiny little banner on the TINY little icon in the top to even notice that it's on SOME other pages than the home page. It is NOT a big huge thing that is hard to miss, it blends RIGHT into the entire top banner, especially the rocks right behind it, and when I'm using the site I'm not examining the entire top banner in the first place, every single time I click a page, before I look at whatever page I'm actually there for. Like your nose on your face, it just goes away. The top banner isn't relevant to me feeding my dragons, or playing my games, or whatever else. It is VERY easy to completely miss since if you don't remember to look for it, you don't... look for it. Which you have to, if you have a hard time distinguishing soft yellow on soft brown on other soft brown on top of soft green, and don't automatically subconsciously register "muddled, visually dissimilar environment" as "IMPORTANT, TIME-SENSITIVE TEXT."

To chop my points into bullets:

- disabled people use this website too, and disability comes in lots of forms, which can include memory problems, vision problems, visual processing problems, and general executive dysfunction, among a million other things that may or may not impact one's ability to use this site as it has been designed.
- disabled people deserve the ability to access the same experiences and amounts of rare and valuable items within this site as others, and do not deserve to be cut out of experiences or kept from items that other people are more physically or mentally able to attain or participate in
- accessibility is a public concern, and there are both [local/countrywide] laws, and just morally humane universal guidelines, on how to not be a [bad word] to people who need accommodation
- I'm not demanding that anyone to change anything about how any of you use the site, in any way, at all, ever. from my first post I specified that this could absolutely be an opt-in setting, that in order to matter to anyone, they would need to want it in the first place.
- This site's font size is definitively tiny and that being harmful to your eyes is something that medical science has known for a while, and you being okay with damaging your sight doesn't mean that everyone else should have to put up with it with no other options
- I RARELY see sites with fonts this tiny or thin, this site's UI is extremely abnormal and inaccessible from a web design point of view. There not even being a setting for font size is extra inaccessible. My needing glasses is irrelevant; the site is inaccessible. Disabled people who, for my own record, can get through every single other aspect of life with my vision fine the way it is, should not be made to pay out of their own pocket for an assistance device to access one single website with no accessibility settings, to the same degree as abled people
@maplemary @shinylumeo okay I will be fair here that the banner isn't on just the homepage, I was wrong about that, BUT, I had to go and LOOK to find that tiny little banner on the TINY little icon in the top to even notice that it's on SOME other pages than the home page. It is NOT a big huge thing that is hard to miss, it blends RIGHT into the entire top banner, especially the rocks right behind it, and when I'm using the site I'm not examining the entire top banner in the first place, every single time I click a page, before I look at whatever page I'm actually there for. Like your nose on your face, it just goes away. The top banner isn't relevant to me feeding my dragons, or playing my games, or whatever else. It is VERY easy to completely miss since if you don't remember to look for it, you don't... look for it. Which you have to, if you have a hard time distinguishing soft yellow on soft brown on other soft brown on top of soft green, and don't automatically subconsciously register "muddled, visually dissimilar environment" as "IMPORTANT, TIME-SENSITIVE TEXT."

To chop my points into bullets:

- disabled people use this website too, and disability comes in lots of forms, which can include memory problems, vision problems, visual processing problems, and general executive dysfunction, among a million other things that may or may not impact one's ability to use this site as it has been designed.
- disabled people deserve the ability to access the same experiences and amounts of rare and valuable items within this site as others, and do not deserve to be cut out of experiences or kept from items that other people are more physically or mentally able to attain or participate in
- accessibility is a public concern, and there are both [local/countrywide] laws, and just morally humane universal guidelines, on how to not be a [bad word] to people who need accommodation
- I'm not demanding that anyone to change anything about how any of you use the site, in any way, at all, ever. from my first post I specified that this could absolutely be an opt-in setting, that in order to matter to anyone, they would need to want it in the first place.
- This site's font size is definitively tiny and that being harmful to your eyes is something that medical science has known for a while, and you being okay with damaging your sight doesn't mean that everyone else should have to put up with it with no other options
- I RARELY see sites with fonts this tiny or thin, this site's UI is extremely abnormal and inaccessible from a web design point of view. There not even being a setting for font size is extra inaccessible. My needing glasses is irrelevant; the site is inaccessible. Disabled people who, for my own record, can get through every single other aspect of life with my vision fine the way it is, should not be made to pay out of their own pocket for an assistance device to access one single website with no accessibility settings, to the same degree as abled people
[quote name="MapleMary" date=2017-11-30 19:17:11] @hyperdelirium Hmm, I see what you are getting at. I wonder if maybe perhaps they could code in a way to send mass notifications to everyone? Like say, the day before something can pop up in your messages tab that would just say "Hello dragon keepers, get ready for ____ Festival tomorrow!" Since those bright orange exclamation mark boxes always get my attention, and plus no matter what page you're on you would be able to see it. And yes, glasses are a fortune you wear on your face, I have experience, haha. [/quote] That is one idea!! I feel it would be great to use that in conjunction with the gathering being automatic; this way, active users both get the item, AND a reminder that it's time to use them! I've had two or three pairs in the last decade and they're expensive and don't help much and god, I just hate them? I hate pushing them back up all the time and they always make my nose sweaty. Yuck.
MapleMary wrote on 2017-11-30:
@hyperdelirium

That is one idea!! I feel it would be great to use that in conjunction with the gathering being automatic; this way, active users both get the item, AND a reminder that it's time to use them!

I've had two or three pairs in the last decade and they're expensive and don't help much and god, I just hate them? I hate pushing them back up all the time and they always make my nose sweaty. Yuck.
Happy Rockbreaker :D
Happy Rockbreaker :D
echo.pngbiscuit.pngXAwbs1b.pngc4w7tx2.png
Happy Rockbreaker's!
Happy Rockbreaker's!
NpdWwgL.gifqTwNxc0.giftnAEQSF.pngqUsv0xB.png
NICE!

NICE!

plaguebringer_banner_by_eyenoom-d6kkk4e.png
Gotta get me some more holiday currency quick!
Gotta get me some more holiday currency quick!
It's almost over!!
It's almost over!!
nice
nice
WUyncZxk.png
1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34