Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Lace: A Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Ohh lace looks so pretty! It'll look great with the right colors. I also want those familiars..I'm lvl 34 but still haven't gotten em yet! XD
Ohh lace looks so pretty! It'll look great with the right colors. I also want those familiars..I'm lvl 34 but still haven't gotten em yet! XD
?Zc_qH=party.png
tumblr_inline_n6kdvfauea1qlye38.giftumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro6_250.giftumblr_inline_n6kdvfauea1qlye38.gif
HOLY CRUD THAT'S COOL
HOLY CRUD THAT'S COOL
yarn lover, and book lover forever
Gradient is flawed like thylacine, the pattern itself doesnt conform the the bodys curves on almost all of the dragons, and it covers the patterns spinner make on many breeds. 0/10 will not be using.
Gradient is flawed like thylacine, the pattern itself doesnt conform the the bodys curves on almost all of the dragons, and it covers the patterns spinner make on many breeds. 0/10 will not be using.
4gOhMzr.png Lore/Misc:

Clan An Duin
Progenitor Dross
Epsilon's Archives
Naomi Breeders Inc.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
WdyTW3r.png
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Shops:

Error: File not Found
Naomi Blood Hatchery
FR Item/CS Item Shop
Art Shop WIP
6 Digit G1s For Sale

ToTPy94.png
[quote name="Dross" date=2017-03-02 04:01:52] Gradient is flawed like thylacine, the pattern itself doesnt conform the the bodys curves on almost all of the dragons, and it covers the patterns spinner make on many breeds. 0/10 will not be using. [/quote] This ^ I like how the pattern on the belly looks, but the wings is just.. [i]bleh[/i] The only dragon I really like it a LOT on is Nocs tbh Edit: actually I lied I like how some of it looks but I don't like any of the breeds where it takes up a lot of the space on the wings + it clashes with a lot of genes
Dross wrote on 2017-03-02:
This ^
I like how the pattern on the belly looks, but the wings is just.. bleh
The only dragon I really like it a LOT on is Nocs tbh
Edit: actually I lied I like how some of it looks but I don't like any of the breeds where it takes up a lot of the space on the wings + it clashes with a lot of genes
Oooh Hyenas! <3 The lace is nice too...looks like it would look good on Petals, and maybe Butterfly...
Oooh Hyenas! <3 The lace is nice too...looks like it would look good on Petals, and maybe Butterfly...
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
So Lacy and I love it.
So Lacy and I love it.
I really like the new gene, but I can't seem to find a mating pair that it works on. I searched the AH ALL DAY YESTERDAY! I want the new AH now! I finally bought one dragon that it works pretty well on, but now I have to find a mate for him. I wish the blue on his wings was a little darker, so the lace would show up more. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=7&breed=7&element=6&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=8&wings=24&auth=34bc051bd5e6cbf454e5c50aee61f8fb9754c560&dummyext=prev.png[/img] I like the gene best on male spirals, female imps, bogs, and skydancers. The only colors that seem to show off the lace are some version of XXY. Dark/Dark/Light or Light/Light/Dark. It messes up about half of the secondary patterns. It might sound like I am complaining, but I really do Love this gene. It just doesn't work on any of my dragons.
I really like the new gene, but I can't seem to find a mating pair that it works on. I searched the AH ALL DAY YESTERDAY! I want the new AH now!

I finally bought one dragon that it works pretty well on, but now I have to find a mate for him. I wish the blue on his wings was a little darker, so the lace would show up more.

dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=7&breed=7&element=6&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=8&wings=24&auth=34bc051bd5e6cbf454e5c50aee61f8fb9754c560&dummyext=prev.png

I like the gene best on male spirals, female imps, bogs, and skydancers.

The only colors that seem to show off the lace are some version of XXY. Dark/Dark/Light or Light/Light/Dark. It messes up about half of the secondary patterns.

It might sound like I am complaining, but I really do Love this gene. It just doesn't work on any of my dragons.

Had to wait til he was done nesting to add the lace! But it's perfect for my Valentinian imp [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26744635] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/267447/26744635_350.png[/img] [/url]
Had to wait til he was done nesting to add the lace! But it's perfect for my Valentinian imp

26744635_350.png
wnJMeQT.png980ddb6d-ea41-46ba-9873-dbe1608c141a-copy-99x99.png lYjGA7U.png
YOOOOOOO those familiars!!
YOOOOOOO those familiars!!
This gene is very pleasant to the eye and rather cute too. It isn't a gene I'd consider a must, but when I saw the update and tested the gene on multiple combos I definitely found it interesting and overall a nice addition to the site... However, the more I previewed lace on dragons, the more I noticed inconsistencies in the pattern that [i]really[/i] bothered me, the kind of inconsistencies I have seen in previous genes such as Alloy. Firstly there's the pattern inconsistency: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=14&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=23fc0e5c7c45b539b915b655d0c36c943828dfe6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=7&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=1b049ace1d6fe29cdf7bb7b9256fa6dd1a91c53b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Apparently on some breeds the belly pattern has both loops and diamonds, but others lack the diamonds entirely. Hell some breeds even have [i]double[/i] loops on the wings! I understand the matter of diamonds not fitting well in the thin underbelly of these breeds, but it still irks me because it makes the gene very inconsistent, specially considering how the breeds lacking diamonds on the belly pattern still have those on the wing one. In my opinion, if the pattern didn't fit well on all the breeds it should have been tweaked or changed in a way it does. I'd rather see it completely modified than having a gene looking different from dragon to dragon, you know? (by the way, notice how the pattern completely stops halfway up the spiral's tail) And speaking of a gene looking different from dragon to dragon, there's my biggest issue with it: the width of coverage. Just... look at this massive difference in coverage from dragons of the same breed!: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=9&element=8&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=48e33332b73a4240ae8752fe6a2f7334ee2cbb4b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=9&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=ffec73ed566417a0ff276ecd8a1bd95d1f34d9d0&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Why do male snappers have lace so large?? The gradient area could have easily been limited to the very edges of the belly, which would help the gene fit better with secondaries and primaries. It's not only snappers that have this issue either, female bogs have huge patterns compared to males, and male faes have a terrible case of visual noise with the gradient area taking a huge chunk of the wings. I've seen many people bring this up already and they are correct, the wing coverage is really, really, unfortunate. Some breeds have it executed perfectly, such as bogs and nocturnes. The patterns are placed at the very edge of the wings and follow the membrane's curvature, which not only makes the gene easier to fit most secondaries, but also gives the elegant lacy look this gene was clearly aiming for: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=11&element=8&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=ac37b4bc22ba5bd0773614cbcd9afb45f38d3708&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Other breeds on the other hand... well... [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=10&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=21ec99c2090e173fc12eabd397884e014dbd19ea&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=1&element=8&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=3cbd1a5ab68b79d99273fbe5506eb1dc1de96a21&dummyext=prev.png[/img] The coverage doesn't follow the wing edges at all and instead seems to be set in a straight line, plus the pattern takes WAY more space than it should. Wildclaws easily got the short end of the stick as the worst of the bunch with not only a nearly full diagonal coverage, but also that glaring flaw of the pattern ending halfway on the tail. This creates a very wonky visual noise instead of the elegant lacy look seen in nocs and bogs. I can imagine many ways to execute the pattern better with lots of wing space being saved, instead of what we got for these breeds. I still think this is a very lovely gene and that it has more positives than negatives, I definitely see myself getting a few dragons with it... but it's still quite disappointing and even frustrating to see these consistency flaws show up again and again in so many gene releases recently.
This gene is very pleasant to the eye and rather cute too. It isn't a gene I'd consider a must, but when I saw the update and tested the gene on multiple combos I definitely found it interesting and overall a nice addition to the site...

However, the more I previewed lace on dragons, the more I noticed inconsistencies in the pattern that really bothered me, the kind of inconsistencies I have seen in previous genes such as Alloy. Firstly there's the pattern inconsistency:

dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=14&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=23fc0e5c7c45b539b915b655d0c36c943828dfe6&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=7&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=1b049ace1d6fe29cdf7bb7b9256fa6dd1a91c53b&dummyext=prev.png

Apparently on some breeds the belly pattern has both loops and diamonds, but others lack the diamonds entirely. Hell some breeds even have double loops on the wings! I understand the matter of diamonds not fitting well in the thin underbelly of these breeds, but it still irks me because it makes the gene very inconsistent, specially considering how the breeds lacking diamonds on the belly pattern still have those on the wing one. In my opinion, if the pattern didn't fit well on all the breeds it should have been tweaked or changed in a way it does. I'd rather see it completely modified than having a gene looking different from dragon to dragon, you know?
(by the way, notice how the pattern completely stops halfway up the spiral's tail)

And speaking of a gene looking different from dragon to dragon, there's my biggest issue with it: the width of coverage. Just... look at this massive difference in coverage from dragons of the same breed!:

dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=9&element=8&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=48e33332b73a4240ae8752fe6a2f7334ee2cbb4b&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=9&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=ffec73ed566417a0ff276ecd8a1bd95d1f34d9d0&dummyext=prev.png

Why do male snappers have lace so large?? The gradient area could have easily been limited to the very edges of the belly, which would help the gene fit better with secondaries and primaries. It's not only snappers that have this issue either, female bogs have huge patterns compared to males, and male faes have a terrible case of visual noise with the gradient area taking a huge chunk of the wings.

I've seen many people bring this up already and they are correct, the wing coverage is really, really, unfortunate. Some breeds have it executed perfectly, such as bogs and nocturnes. The patterns are placed at the very edge of the wings and follow the membrane's curvature, which not only makes the gene easier to fit most secondaries, but also gives the elegant lacy look this gene was clearly aiming for:

dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=11&element=8&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=ac37b4bc22ba5bd0773614cbcd9afb45f38d3708&dummyext=prev.png

Other breeds on the other hand... well...

dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=10&element=8&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=21ec99c2090e173fc12eabd397884e014dbd19ea&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=17&breed=1&element=8&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=16&winggene=1&wings=11&auth=3cbd1a5ab68b79d99273fbe5506eb1dc1de96a21&dummyext=prev.png

The coverage doesn't follow the wing edges at all and instead seems to be set in a straight line, plus the pattern takes WAY more space than it should. Wildclaws easily got the short end of the stick as the worst of the bunch with not only a nearly full diagonal coverage, but also that glaring flaw of the pattern ending halfway on the tail. This creates a very wonky visual noise instead of the elegant lacy look seen in nocs and bogs. I can imagine many ways to execute the pattern better with lots of wing space being saved, instead of what we got for these breeds.

I still think this is a very lovely gene and that it has more positives than negatives, I definitely see myself getting a few dragons with it... but it's still quite disappointing and even frustrating to see these consistency flaws show up again and again in so many gene releases recently.
ssjS89N.png
1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77