Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | New Genes Arrive!
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
Can't win everyone over...But more people seem happy now compared to the upset ones...Who I feel bad for. No one should have to get excited then upset over art that changes so fast, really hope this incident doesn't repeat...

I love it more now than before though.
Can't win everyone over...But more people seem happy now compared to the upset ones...Who I feel bad for. No one should have to get excited then upset over art that changes so fast, really hope this incident doesn't repeat...

I love it more now than before though.
tumblr_n9rjznP5bt1qd0s8ko2_500.png
I agree with Alaia. It's really disappointed because I loved the gene on so many breeds before, now it's only a few (like Wildclaw) that I like. It's just too busy like Hypnotic and definitely not like the beautiful splotches Jupiter really is :c [img]http://i.imgur.com/7LwNXvV.jpg[/img] Edit: May I offer up a suggestion? Perhaps release the original as a different gene, just called Uranus and Neptune instead of Jupiter and Saturn? They're also gas planets. (Though a bit tinier so they original Neptune/Juptier genes are probably more fitting for the original genes) I'm just... so saddened that I found a gene I really liked on Guardians. Unless we're allowed to trace old genes for accents/skins, I have no way to have something I really liked.
I agree with Alaia. It's really disappointed because I loved the gene on so many breeds before, now it's only a few (like Wildclaw) that I like. It's just too busy like Hypnotic and definitely not like the beautiful splotches Jupiter really is :c

7LwNXvV.jpg

Edit:

May I offer up a suggestion? Perhaps release the original as a different gene, just called Uranus and Neptune instead of Jupiter and Saturn? They're also gas planets. (Though a bit tinier so they original Neptune/Juptier genes are probably more fitting for the original genes)

I'm just... so saddened that I found a gene I really liked on Guardians. Unless we're allowed to trace old genes for accents/skins, I have no way to have something I really liked.
dLxsQW7.png ***
Brittany
She/Her or They/Them
FR + 3
L8bbLC3.png
d8kVeqZ.gif
I would feel a bit better if we could at least have an actual userwide vote over which version of Jupiter and Saturn are used?

Just because some people were complaining at first which is why it was changed to the tighter pattern doesnt mean other people were not happy with how it looked before and just didnt comment because they were satisfied with it.
I would feel a bit better if we could at least have an actual userwide vote over which version of Jupiter and Saturn are used?

Just because some people were complaining at first which is why it was changed to the tighter pattern doesnt mean other people were not happy with how it looked before and just didnt comment because they were satisfied with it.
They/Them FR+2
Yeah, this gene was sort of a bust. I have to third (fourth or fifth?) the suggestion to pick out some users to preview genes to see how they look. Basically all of this would've been avoided if a quality check had been done before these genes were released.

I'm not sure if the gene was half done on release, or if was intended to do this "fix" all along. But basically it shouldn't have been a bait and switch like it was. (Either initially by complex F mirrors and plain everything else OR by original version of gene versus the update).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the change, it looks like the name of the gene now. I have absolutely no regrets about voicing my opinion on how the gene looked, and actually can use it.

However, I do sympathize with those people who liked the original version. I second the opinion of re-releasing the first version of the gene (and simplifying the F mirrors), with some better depth-shading so it doesn't look painted on and calling it Ribbon/Tassel or something similar.

I think that should make everyone happy and saves the artists coming up with another entirely new gene.
Yeah, this gene was sort of a bust. I have to third (fourth or fifth?) the suggestion to pick out some users to preview genes to see how they look. Basically all of this would've been avoided if a quality check had been done before these genes were released.

I'm not sure if the gene was half done on release, or if was intended to do this "fix" all along. But basically it shouldn't have been a bait and switch like it was. (Either initially by complex F mirrors and plain everything else OR by original version of gene versus the update).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the change, it looks like the name of the gene now. I have absolutely no regrets about voicing my opinion on how the gene looked, and actually can use it.

However, I do sympathize with those people who liked the original version. I second the opinion of re-releasing the first version of the gene (and simplifying the F mirrors), with some better depth-shading so it doesn't look painted on and calling it Ribbon/Tassel or something similar.

I think that should make everyone happy and saves the artists coming up with another entirely new gene.
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
@Alaia

It wasn't changed because "some people were complaining". It was changed because it was incorrect. It was changed because how it looked on the preview image of the female Mirror was not at all how it looked on all the other breeds -- the markings were completely inconsistent and needed to be altered so that it looked the same on every breed. That's pretty much one of the rules for genes: It looks exactly the same on everybody (I think Glimmer is the only gene to break this rule). Imagine if the stripes of Okapi went vertical instead of horizontal on only Ridgebacks. It would have to be changed.

The tight markings on the female Mirror were how the markings were supposed to look, and so the large, looping pattern on literally everyone else was incorrect. Honestly, the fact that it was released without anyone on the art team noticing before launch is a bit troubling to me -- we shouldn't be having genes coming out and then having to be edited within the first 24 hours. :/ That just comes off as sloppy, imo. And I know the art team can do better.

Personally, I think both versions look bad. It looks like the dragons have crayon scribble micro-gametes covering them. My displeasure is mostly with the idea that they released it, people went "Isn't it supposed to look like the preview image??", and the art team had to backtrack and "fix" it. It should have been released correctly the first time.

~~

@Amut

I think having two pairs of genes so similar would only exacerbate the problem. I can see tons of people meaning to buy one and accidentally buying the other, especially since they would probably be priced very similarly. It's best for all genes to be as different from each other as possible. The fact that we were offered something and then it had to be taken back will hopefully make the art time think twice when they're ready to release a new gene. This is really unacceptable. :/
@Alaia

It wasn't changed because "some people were complaining". It was changed because it was incorrect. It was changed because how it looked on the preview image of the female Mirror was not at all how it looked on all the other breeds -- the markings were completely inconsistent and needed to be altered so that it looked the same on every breed. That's pretty much one of the rules for genes: It looks exactly the same on everybody (I think Glimmer is the only gene to break this rule). Imagine if the stripes of Okapi went vertical instead of horizontal on only Ridgebacks. It would have to be changed.

The tight markings on the female Mirror were how the markings were supposed to look, and so the large, looping pattern on literally everyone else was incorrect. Honestly, the fact that it was released without anyone on the art team noticing before launch is a bit troubling to me -- we shouldn't be having genes coming out and then having to be edited within the first 24 hours. :/ That just comes off as sloppy, imo. And I know the art team can do better.

Personally, I think both versions look bad. It looks like the dragons have crayon scribble micro-gametes covering them. My displeasure is mostly with the idea that they released it, people went "Isn't it supposed to look like the preview image??", and the art team had to backtrack and "fix" it. It should have been released correctly the first time.

~~

@Amut

I think having two pairs of genes so similar would only exacerbate the problem. I can see tons of people meaning to buy one and accidentally buying the other, especially since they would probably be priced very similarly. It's best for all genes to be as different from each other as possible. The fact that we were offered something and then it had to be taken back will hopefully make the art time think twice when they're ready to release a new gene. This is really unacceptable. :/
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
Agreeing with people here, the fact that there was such a drastic gene change, not for a few colors or for a few dragons but for the majority of dragons just rings as sloppy and unprofessional even because a lot of people were happy with how it looked and then it was changed.

Edit: Whether or not it looks better now isn't the point. The point is massive edits should NOT be made after something has been released for less than like a week.
Agreeing with people here, the fact that there was such a drastic gene change, not for a few colors or for a few dragons but for the majority of dragons just rings as sloppy and unprofessional even because a lot of people were happy with how it looked and then it was changed.

Edit: Whether or not it looks better now isn't the point. The point is massive edits should NOT be made after something has been released for less than like a week.
uCR5SCW.png
@McAlli

That's why I said the gene should have some edits ("to not look painted on"), but that can also extend to some additions to markings on the legs, better shading, something else to make it look different, and have a clearly different icon, and give it a different name.

I don't know anyone who's confused Tiger with Ripple or Ripple with Current when they got to click on them, (despite both being somewhat linr-pattern genes). There's a different icon and different name on both genes. I see that well before I see the price tag.

I imagine similar could be done with Jupiter/Saturn or a -hypothetical- Ribbon/Tassle.

Frankly, we're not disagreeing on the key points. But I can see where people would like the "original" Jupiter/Saturn. The thick, wide lines were very good for making vine-covered tree dragons, or dark lines paired with light Smoke colors and that's another direction to turn the previous version of Jup/Sat.
@McAlli

That's why I said the gene should have some edits ("to not look painted on"), but that can also extend to some additions to markings on the legs, better shading, something else to make it look different, and have a clearly different icon, and give it a different name.

I don't know anyone who's confused Tiger with Ripple or Ripple with Current when they got to click on them, (despite both being somewhat linr-pattern genes). There's a different icon and different name on both genes. I see that well before I see the price tag.

I imagine similar could be done with Jupiter/Saturn or a -hypothetical- Ribbon/Tassle.

Frankly, we're not disagreeing on the key points. But I can see where people would like the "original" Jupiter/Saturn. The thick, wide lines were very good for making vine-covered tree dragons, or dark lines paired with light Smoke colors and that's another direction to turn the previous version of Jup/Sat.
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
@Amut

Perhaps if the markings covered the belly and went all the way down the legs? Though that's only for the Primary, I'm not sure how you'd edit the Secondary to still keep the feel while making it different enough to not be confused at first glance.

It took me a long time to get my head around Tiger and Stripes -- because, well. Tiger stripes. Both made sense to be a Primary. :/
@Amut

Perhaps if the markings covered the belly and went all the way down the legs? Though that's only for the Primary, I'm not sure how you'd edit the Secondary to still keep the feel while making it different enough to not be confused at first glance.

It took me a long time to get my head around Tiger and Stripes -- because, well. Tiger stripes. Both made sense to be a Primary. :/
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
@McAlli

Yeah, we could certainly use another gene that behaves like Ripple and covers the belly and at least goes down past the elbows. I could use more genes that do that, it gives Spines a purpose rather than just hiding a clashing tert while still having a triple-gened dragon.

The secondary could basically go back to the original, but perhaps have the tendrils actually follow the wing from wrist to finger tip, rather than from top finger to down to the body. Again, it'd be mostly a matter of shading and making it fit with the Primary.

Lol, I have the same problem with Speckle/Freckle. I still feel that Freckle should be the primary, I gt that question wrong in Tomo all the time. Freckle feels like a body thing, while Speckle sounds more like an secondary things. Ive heard of speckled wings on birds, not freckles on wings.

Though, perhaps they could do a modified snakeskin guppy pattern, make it look more ribbon-like and that might make both groups happy.
@McAlli

Yeah, we could certainly use another gene that behaves like Ripple and covers the belly and at least goes down past the elbows. I could use more genes that do that, it gives Spines a purpose rather than just hiding a clashing tert while still having a triple-gened dragon.

The secondary could basically go back to the original, but perhaps have the tendrils actually follow the wing from wrist to finger tip, rather than from top finger to down to the body. Again, it'd be mostly a matter of shading and making it fit with the Primary.

Lol, I have the same problem with Speckle/Freckle. I still feel that Freckle should be the primary, I gt that question wrong in Tomo all the time. Freckle feels like a body thing, while Speckle sounds more like an secondary things. Ive heard of speckled wings on birds, not freckles on wings.

Though, perhaps they could do a modified snakeskin guppy pattern, make it look more ribbon-like and that might make both groups happy.
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
@McAlli Technically Tiger looks different on some breeds. Like on Wildclaws it has broad wider spaced stripes and on other breeds like Nocturnes the stripes are all thin and bunched. (I prefer the Wildclaw look myself) [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=50&bodygene=2&breed=10&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=50&auth=666bdcd774434edd0da7dfacaa9b455481f49f44&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=50&bodygene=2&breed=11&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=50&auth=175c26a6fc209ca4e146aedc2429c66e95da08ad&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Also Ripple is different depending on the breed. On Guardians Ripple/Current is wide and covers most of the dragon and actually looks like flowing water, [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=22&bodygene=5&breed=2&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=6&wings=22&auth=16b8b2561e4809f02a8ab200ada6fad13f152a5a&dummyext=prev.png[/img] and on other breeds like coatls it is all thin and tiny [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=22&bodygene=5&breed=12&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=6&wings=22&auth=e505a05e7aa69a9ca0677c511a9a1984c0fc010c&dummyext=prev.png[/img] What I am trying to say is that I do not think genes all have to look exactly the same across all breeds because there are other genes with variations between the breeds.
@McAlli

Technically Tiger looks different on some breeds. Like on Wildclaws it has broad wider spaced stripes and on other breeds like Nocturnes the stripes are all thin and bunched. (I prefer the Wildclaw look myself)

dragon?age=1&body=50&bodygene=2&breed=10&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=50&auth=666bdcd774434edd0da7dfacaa9b455481f49f44&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=50&bodygene=2&breed=11&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=50&auth=175c26a6fc209ca4e146aedc2429c66e95da08ad&dummyext=prev.png

Also Ripple is different depending on the breed. On Guardians Ripple/Current is wide and covers most of the dragon and actually looks like flowing water,

dragon?age=1&body=22&bodygene=5&breed=2&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=6&wings=22&auth=16b8b2561e4809f02a8ab200ada6fad13f152a5a&dummyext=prev.png

and on other breeds like coatls it is all thin and tiny

dragon?age=1&body=22&bodygene=5&breed=12&element=5&gender=1&tert=170&tertgene=0&winggene=6&wings=22&auth=e505a05e7aa69a9ca0677c511a9a1984c0fc010c&dummyext=prev.png

What I am trying to say is that I do not think genes all have to look exactly the same across all breeds because there are other genes with variations between the breeds.

They/Them FR+2
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87