Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Community Update, May 2016
1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
@SillyShades I think people are on the fence because, while "physical" art are known to be bought and resold endlessly (granted, if the reseller can get the price they want), it seems much more rare in the digital world. I'm not sure I've actually ever seen it happen (not that I venture into art forums and sales all that often, but, you know). Though, I think the things about sites like FR is that a lot of bought art are adoptables and/or OC art, which doesn't really make sense to resell. The only thing similar in skins/accents are customs, but usually the creator and buyer agree on some kind of deal, and that is an entirely different subject, I think. I can understand that people can be a bit sensitive about their art being used solely for profit, but then again, they kinda did that in the first place? I guess some people just aren't used to the idea. I'm sorry if you've already seen this @Aequorin but I posted a few days ago without response, so I'm reposting it c: [quote name="Silence" date=2016-05-20 11:12:12] I have a follow-up question that hopefully dosen't sound to douchey, but, is the rules regarding dragon ownership directly applicable to other items/subjects? Here I'm thinking about the UR skins and accents. Sometimes, though rarely, I see a user having rules against people reselling their skins/accents for a higher price than the original price. I feel this is a bit of a grey zone - since, on one hand, it's art, but on the other, it's also a FR item. I figured that the buyer, being the owner of the item, has the freedom to do what they want with the skin/accent, but is there any official statement or rule on this? [/quote]
@SillyShades
I think people are on the fence because, while "physical" art are known to be bought and resold endlessly (granted, if the reseller can get the price they want), it seems much more rare in the digital world. I'm not sure I've actually ever seen it happen (not that I venture into art forums and sales all that often, but, you know).
Though, I think the things about sites like FR is that a lot of bought art are adoptables and/or OC art, which doesn't really make sense to resell. The only thing similar in skins/accents are customs, but usually the creator and buyer agree on some kind of deal, and that is an entirely different subject, I think.
I can understand that people can be a bit sensitive about their art being used solely for profit, but then again, they kinda did that in the first place? I guess some people just aren't used to the idea.

I'm sorry if you've already seen this @Aequorin but I posted a few days ago without response, so I'm reposting it c:
Silence wrote on 2016-05-20:
I have a follow-up question that hopefully dosen't sound to douchey, but, is the rules regarding dragon ownership directly applicable to other items/subjects?
Here I'm thinking about the UR skins and accents. Sometimes, though rarely, I see a user having rules against people reselling their skins/accents for a higher price than the original price.
I feel this is a bit of a grey zone - since, on one hand, it's art, but on the other, it's also a FR item.
I figured that the buyer, being the owner of the item, has the freedom to do what they want with the skin/accent, but is there any official statement or rule on this?

Hy86VRp.png
» Elf Subs.
» Peryton Adopts
» Adopts
So glad the exalting issue is addressed. Certain people on both sides of the divide are being absolutely ridiculous about it.
So glad the exalting issue is addressed. Certain people on both sides of the divide are being absolutely ridiculous about it.
cryperethy.pngdLIJPZ4.pngtumblr_nrv6v91RtB1th5aplo1_250.gif
So... It's getting a tad bit too dramatic on here. So, for people who don't want the dragons they're selling to be exalted/resold, here's a few things.

When you sell that dragon, it goes to the new owner. You have lost control of that dragon, and the new owner can do whatever they want to it, exalt, resell it, give it bad, cheesy lore, you name it. So, my suggestion for you is: DON'T SELL THE DRAGON. If you're desperate not to exalt it or anything, then sorry, but I can't help you with that. You're going to just have to exalt it yourself so you don't get mad at anyone/ harass anyone.

(sorry if this comes off as offensive)
So... It's getting a tad bit too dramatic on here. So, for people who don't want the dragons they're selling to be exalted/resold, here's a few things.

When you sell that dragon, it goes to the new owner. You have lost control of that dragon, and the new owner can do whatever they want to it, exalt, resell it, give it bad, cheesy lore, you name it. So, my suggestion for you is: DON'T SELL THE DRAGON. If you're desperate not to exalt it or anything, then sorry, but I can't help you with that. You're going to just have to exalt it yourself so you don't get mad at anyone/ harass anyone.

(sorry if this comes off as offensive)
OjYCOIV.png
I do have two questions. I understand and agree that people getting the dragon have the right to do whatever to the dragon. And I agree with the no harassment policy. Here are my questions (sorry if these have already been answered)

1. Exalting unnamed dragons. This has been an issue before, as well as naming dragons something very unpleasant and then exalting them. If someone sells a baby, which is then exalted without a name, but the seller still owns the baby's parents...I know FR was planning some form of drop-down menu where you can hide unnamed babies. Is that still in the works?

2. The dragons off to see the world thread. The whole thread works on the idea of adopting a dragon and then not exalting them so that they can go back to their original parents. Is that thread going to be shut down?
I do have two questions. I understand and agree that people getting the dragon have the right to do whatever to the dragon. And I agree with the no harassment policy. Here are my questions (sorry if these have already been answered)

1. Exalting unnamed dragons. This has been an issue before, as well as naming dragons something very unpleasant and then exalting them. If someone sells a baby, which is then exalted without a name, but the seller still owns the baby's parents...I know FR was planning some form of drop-down menu where you can hide unnamed babies. Is that still in the works?

2. The dragons off to see the world thread. The whole thread works on the idea of adopting a dragon and then not exalting them so that they can go back to their original parents. Is that thread going to be shut down?
mkpoaHZ.png
@Alestrius

Your terms seem fair. It seems like you're asking, which is allowed. I think where it becomes harassment is if:

a) the person doesn't do what you asked and then you add them to a blacklist somewhere telling others not to do business with them because they didn't do what you wanted with a dragon.

or b) the person doesn't do what you asked and then you start messaging them to yell at them for not doing what you asked (even if they agreed to do the thing)

@Alestrius

Your terms seem fair. It seems like you're asking, which is allowed. I think where it becomes harassment is if:

a) the person doesn't do what you asked and then you add them to a blacklist somewhere telling others not to do business with them because they didn't do what you wanted with a dragon.

or b) the person doesn't do what you asked and then you start messaging them to yell at them for not doing what you asked (even if they agreed to do the thing)

@Alestrius
I think the whole gist of this is that any conditions you and the buy set up are unenforceable should the buyer/receiver of the dragon change their mind and choose to do something different with what is now their dragon. You can request all the conditions you wish, but short of somebody intentionally getting dragons in bad faith from you with the intent to upset you (fairly hard to prove and it should be), there's nothing you can do about it if somebody chooses to do something outside those conditions aside from not doing business with them again.
@Alestrius
I think the whole gist of this is that any conditions you and the buy set up are unenforceable should the buyer/receiver of the dragon change their mind and choose to do something different with what is now their dragon. You can request all the conditions you wish, but short of somebody intentionally getting dragons in bad faith from you with the intent to upset you (fairly hard to prove and it should be), there's nothing you can do about it if somebody chooses to do something outside those conditions aside from not doing business with them again.
tumblr_inline_nebbd6PAZE1qmu9vp.png
@Aequorin
I have a compromise, how about the breeder can lock a dragon from exaltation so if they would like it to be a traveling dragon than it won't be exalted and if they're auctioning it they have to remove the lock so that the new owner has complete control over the dragon. It kind of works out for everyone in a way
@Aequorin
I have a compromise, how about the breeder can lock a dragon from exaltation so if they would like it to be a traveling dragon than it won't be exalted and if they're auctioning it they have to remove the lock so that the new owner has complete control over the dragon. It kind of works out for everyone in a way
gSWTvLZ.pngqojQtmv.png
[quote name="winterrose21" date=2016-05-22 16:26:56] I have a compromise, how about the breeder can lock a dragon from exaltation so if they would like it to be a traveling dragon than it won't be exalted and if they're auctioning it they have to remove the lock so that the new owner has complete control over the dragon. It kind of works out for everyone in a way [/quote] @winterrose21 A feature like this would be abused within *seconds* of it being implemented.
winterrose21 wrote on 2016-05-22:

@winterrose21 A feature like this would be abused within *seconds* of it being implemented.
[quote name="winterrose21" date=2016-05-22 16:26:56] I have a compromise, how about the breeder can lock a dragon from exaltation so if they would like it to be a traveling dragon than it won't be exalted and if they're auctioning it they have to remove the lock so that the new owner has complete control over the dragon. It kind of works out for everyone in a way [/quote] @winterrose21 Once a dragon leaves your lair it is no longer yours. If a person receives a traveling dragon, they are allowed to do with it as they wish (keep, breed, sell, exalt, send, whatever). They are allowed to do this because the moment the dragon enters their lair, by site rules, the dragon becomes theirs. You can't put a lock on a dragon in someone else's lair. If you want to send a dragon to travel, you have to do it at your own risk.

@winterrose21

Once a dragon leaves your lair it is no longer yours. If a person receives a traveling dragon, they are allowed to do with it as they wish (keep, breed, sell, exalt, send, whatever). They are allowed to do this because the moment the dragon enters their lair, by site rules, the dragon becomes theirs. You can't put a lock on a dragon in someone else's lair. If you want to send a dragon to travel, you have to do it at your own risk.
ZryO5nF.pngW38Mj4I.pngU15OJEU.pngywWF0OY.pngZryO5nF.png
[quote name="Thardus" date=2016-05-22 17:38:15] [quote name="winterrose21" date=2016-05-22 16:26:56] I have a compromise, how about the breeder can lock a dragon from exaltation so if they would like it to be a traveling dragon than it won't be exalted and if they're auctioning it they have to remove the lock so that the new owner has complete control over the dragon. It kind of works out for everyone in a way [/quote] @winterrose21 Once a dragon leaves your lair it is no longer yours. If a person receives a traveling dragon, they are allowed to do with it as they wish (keep, breed, sell, exalt, send, whatever). They are allowed to do this because the moment the dragon enters their lair, by site rules, the dragon becomes theirs. You can't put a lock on a dragon in someone else's lair. If you want to send a dragon to travel, you have to do it at your own risk. [/quote] @Thardus Yes, I 100% agree with you. There's also the obvious problem of the dragon being "trapped" in the game due to the exalt lock. It can only get passed around to different players on swap threads or private CR sales, even if it's one that isn't wanted by most. Nobody can get rid of it. The only solution would be to lift the exalt-lock automatically if the dragon is put into the AH (and keep it lifted if the auction expires). But anyway, this idea wouldn't be that great because (A) a large part of the community depends on training/exalting dragons to earn money, (B) dominance would be far more difficult to engage in, if we're passing around dragons that are impossible to exalt, and (C) if site canon says that exalting is an honor, why make it impossible for a clan to send its dragons to an honorable cause?
Thardus wrote on 2016-05-22:

@winterrose21

Once a dragon leaves your lair it is no longer yours. If a person receives a traveling dragon, they are allowed to do with it as they wish (keep, breed, sell, exalt, send, whatever). They are allowed to do this because the moment the dragon enters their lair, by site rules, the dragon becomes theirs. You can't put a lock on a dragon in someone else's lair. If you want to send a dragon to travel, you have to do it at your own risk.

@Thardus
Yes, I 100% agree with you.

There's also the obvious problem of the dragon being "trapped" in the game due to the exalt lock. It can only get passed around to different players on swap threads or private CR sales, even if it's one that isn't wanted by most. Nobody can get rid of it. The only solution would be to lift the exalt-lock automatically if the dragon is put into the AH (and keep it lifted if the auction expires).

But anyway, this idea wouldn't be that great because (A) a large part of the community depends on training/exalting dragons to earn money, (B) dominance would be far more difficult to engage in, if we're passing around dragons that are impossible to exalt, and (C) if site canon says that exalting is an honor, why make it impossible for a clan to send its dragons to an honorable cause?
Anim-spiral.gifx lore clan
spiral fan
rp friendly
for sale
free tiny buttons
xcorgi with feather pen
1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48