Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Stained: A Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
@NocturneAlley

I think the friction may be coming from the fact that I, in no way, support tone-policing. Of course I believe that everyone should be cordial -- and I would be the first to jump on anyone who was slinging personal insults at Undel and the team rather than critiquing the gene -- but I don't believe that the emotion behind a person's protests invalidates them.

As a person who has called the gene "lazy", I don't believe the term is rude, mostly because I can't think of another descriptive word that wouldn't be really rude.

(Maybe you should try some Goodies Powder and a lot of water? Like, they taste awful but they get rid of a headache much faster than most painkillers.)
@NocturneAlley

I think the friction may be coming from the fact that I, in no way, support tone-policing. Of course I believe that everyone should be cordial -- and I would be the first to jump on anyone who was slinging personal insults at Undel and the team rather than critiquing the gene -- but I don't believe that the emotion behind a person's protests invalidates them.

As a person who has called the gene "lazy", I don't believe the term is rude, mostly because I can't think of another descriptive word that wouldn't be really rude.

(Maybe you should try some Goodies Powder and a lot of water? Like, they taste awful but they get rid of a headache much faster than most painkillers.)
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
@McAlli

Maybe, I cant understand it from that point of view. Calling the gene itself lazy, I still don't personally like it, but that's just me haha. I was getting frustrated with everyone calling the STAFF lazy for creating a gene like Stained haha

(I have a super rare neurological disorder, my headaches are the equivalent of a normal brains Migraines so not much works to stop it, I just gotta ride through it xD)
@McAlli

Maybe, I cant understand it from that point of view. Calling the gene itself lazy, I still don't personally like it, but that's just me haha. I was getting frustrated with everyone calling the STAFF lazy for creating a gene like Stained haha

(I have a super rare neurological disorder, my headaches are the equivalent of a normal brains Migraines so not much works to stop it, I just gotta ride through it xD)
Just my two cents here:

Simple isn't necessarily lazy. Subtle isn't necessarily useless. The fact that a lot of people are excited about the gene despite its simplicity and subtlety shows that it was a good idea. And it's out now -- it's not in the works, we're not voting on it. No amount of whining is going to take it away from the people who like it. There's no need to get defensive.

RE the price point though -- there's a good reason to make it expensive, and that's to keep it rare. Obviously if people breed lots of babbies and throw them on the AH, it'll be everywhere, but making it hard to get the gene in the first place will slow that considerably.
Just my two cents here:

Simple isn't necessarily lazy. Subtle isn't necessarily useless. The fact that a lot of people are excited about the gene despite its simplicity and subtlety shows that it was a good idea. And it's out now -- it's not in the works, we're not voting on it. No amount of whining is going to take it away from the people who like it. There's no need to get defensive.

RE the price point though -- there's a good reason to make it expensive, and that's to keep it rare. Obviously if people breed lots of babbies and throw them on the AH, it'll be everywhere, but making it hard to get the gene in the first place will slow that considerably.
[quote name="BlueCorvid" date=2016-02-09 01:11:13] Just my two cents here: Simple isn't necessarily lazy. Subtle isn't necessarily useless. The fact that a lot of people are excited about the gene despite its simplicity and subtlety shows that it was a good idea. And it's out now -- it's not in the works, we're not voting on it. No amount of whining is going to take it away from the people who like it. There's no need to get defensive. RE the price point though -- there's a good reason to make it expensive, and that's to keep it rare. Obviously if people breed lots of babbies and throw them on the AH, it'll be everywhere, but making it hard to get the gene in the first place will slow that considerably. [/quote] You're right. Simple =/= Lazy. But a photoshop filter on top of a dragon that is easily mimicked in almost any art program that is very obviously a layer on top of everything, without taking any of the gene lineart or shadows in mind, is lazy. When a gene does almost nothing to a dragon, when what's the point of having it? What's the point in paying 1200g for it? Also, it's not "whining". It's criticism. And the art team needs to know. For every person excited and happy about Stained, there's at least two who share my opinion of it being overprices and lazy. Regardless of whether we can change it now, if we said nothing, the dev team would think everything was dandy -- and it's not. The team needs to know not to pull this kind of mess [i]again[/i]. As for the price, the whole "keeping it rare" thing doesn't really work. Thanks to hatcheries and breeders, Gem genes become abundant very quickly, but this does depend a bit on their popularity. When Glimmer came out, I had a glimmer dragon within the first few days because I could just buy one. Sure, it was expensive, but there were at least 100 pages of Glimmer dragons within 5 days of the genes' release. I find it telling that Stained has been out for 2 weeks now and there are only 15 pages of Stained dragons on the AH as of right now. So that means 1) people were caught off guard and are currently saving to buy it or 2) people are unwilling to pay 1200g for an instagram filter that looks good on about 10% of dragons and is probably a breeding nightmare. ...my bet is on #2.
BlueCorvid wrote on 2016-02-09:
Just my two cents here:

You're right. Simple =/= Lazy. But a photoshop filter on top of a dragon that is easily mimicked in almost any art program that is very obviously a layer on top of everything, without taking any of the gene lineart or shadows in mind, is lazy. When a gene does almost nothing to a dragon, when what's the point of having it? What's the point in paying 1200g for it?

Also, it's not "whining". It's criticism. And the art team needs to know. For every person excited and happy about Stained, there's at least two who share my opinion of it being overprices and lazy. Regardless of whether we can change it now, if we said nothing, the dev team would think everything was dandy -- and it's not. The team needs to know not to pull this kind of mess again.

As for the price, the whole "keeping it rare" thing doesn't really work. Thanks to hatcheries and breeders, Gem genes become abundant very quickly, but this does depend a bit on their popularity. When Glimmer came out, I had a glimmer dragon within the first few days because I could just buy one. Sure, it was expensive, but there were at least 100 pages of Glimmer dragons within 5 days of the genes' release.

I find it telling that Stained has been out for 2 weeks now and there are only 15 pages of Stained dragons on the AH as of right now. So that means 1) people were caught off guard and are currently saving to buy it or 2) people are unwilling to pay 1200g for an instagram filter that looks good on about 10% of dragons and is probably a breeding nightmare.

...my bet is on #2.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I'm sure there are others, like myself, who bought this gene thinking it was a UNIQUE feature like all of the genes are, depending on the color. When I saw all those dragons with different colors looking nearly IDENTICAL, that was the 'it' point and now this is the only gene I actually despise and would like to see go away. It turns dragons into lies and unlike every other gene, is NOT unique. It does not fit. It's awful and I wasted my gems on it. The whole gene is a lie. :(
I'm sure there are others, like myself, who bought this gene thinking it was a UNIQUE feature like all of the genes are, depending on the color. When I saw all those dragons with different colors looking nearly IDENTICAL, that was the 'it' point and now this is the only gene I actually despise and would like to see go away. It turns dragons into lies and unlike every other gene, is NOT unique. It does not fit. It's awful and I wasted my gems on it. The whole gene is a lie. :(
wow.
much argue.
many speak.
wow.
such discussion.
wow.
wow.
much argue.
many speak.
wow.
such discussion.
wow.
Yay! Dragons!
okay but tbh i rlly love this so much
okay but tbh i rlly love this so much
undertale_stamp___asriel_by_erkimys-d9ovgnb.gif
pansexual | agender | taken | they/them
anxiety | depression
@shivaesyke

That has to hurt.. I would lend you 1200 if I ever had money or time to save these gems so you could restore what you lost.

If you want you can have the rest of my gems (like they can compare to 12 dollars tho)
@shivaesyke

That has to hurt.. I would lend you 1200 if I ever had money or time to save these gems so you could restore what you lost.

If you want you can have the rest of my gems (like they can compare to 12 dollars tho)
rrt_smll_by_windy_breeze-da7prsu.gif
Personally, I love stained. I was skeptical at first, but I see now why it works. And I'm really excited to start using it and experimenting with it.
Personally, I love stained. I was skeptical at first, but I see now why it works. And I'm really excited to start using it and experimenting with it.
@Archo *Laugh* Thank you, but no. :D While it hurts, I can recover it. Those gems were earned and for now, I can use it to throw other terts I do like. Besides, done with it. :D I love the new update and will just be ignoring Stained. :D
@Archo *Laugh* Thank you, but no. :D While it hurts, I can recover it. Those gems were earned and for now, I can use it to throw other terts I do like. Besides, done with it. :D I love the new update and will just be ignoring Stained. :D
1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117